Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Remote

Bluetooth Remote
bonk
Jun 12, 2003, 03:33 PM

I'm probably going to purchase a 17" albook soon after the pb upgrades w/ bluetooth and was wonder if there are any good bluetooth remotes out there to control simple things like Keynote / Powerpoint / iTunes etc. It just needs to be something simple. I've seen some remotes out there, but you've gotta add that usb dongle to get them to work.

Also, how far away would I be able to stand with something like this?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 03:40 PM

I use a T68i cell phone and an app called 'Romeo'...

It allows for remote control of the mouse, iTunes, DVD player, Powerpoint, Keynote, and system volume as standard features...

You can also program more features.

Works perfectly with my 12" PB. And best of all Romeo is free...

Peace,

Marc

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 03:54 PM

I use the same setup with my 17", t68i Sony Ericsson Phone and Salling Clicker. I have seen other remotes at the Apple Store, but I think they're RF and not Bluetooth.

bonk  (op)
Jun 12, 2003, 04:11 PM

I've been looking into that phone recently, coverage is not available in this area through the Amazon deal, and the phone seems expensive otherwise.

Anyway, what other remotes are available that don't require you to point them at the pb. I'll consider all options, even w/ a usb dongle.

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 01:24 PM

If you have a PDA, you can pick up a bluetooth module for it, and probably run whatever apps you want.... I hear that open-source programmers are starting to really pick up on bluetooth and put some good apps out there.

What might reaaally be cool, is if you could use bluetooth in a digital camera (kodak is working on this, BTW) and have the camera's cmos write to your PB in a backpack,etc. That was you have serious capaicity (as images get larger and larger.....11 Megapixel images will fill up a smartmedia card quickly)
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 07:32 PM

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

So, does anyone know of a good non-phone remote that works over Bluetooth? Something like the Keyspan Digital Media Remote, but without the need to plug in an IR receiver.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2004, 03:56 PM

Dunno. Wouldn't range be lousy with Bluetooth, compared to the RF solutions?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules