Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X not finding boot volume - help!

OS X not finding boot volume - help!
blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 09:10 AM

I have an iBook G3 700 that, upon power-up, no longer finds any boot volume (flashing question-mark folder). Here's what happened in brief:

Something has long been wrong with the screen hinge / OS X sleep connection. I would close the screen to a degree < 90-deg and backlight would go out - but machine would not sleep - even when all the way closed. So I would have to manually sleep the machine then close lid. Well recently it seems machine kills backlite and goes to sleep whenever screen is open to an angle GREATER than 90-deg. Something quite hosed w/ the mechanism.

Well yesterday the machine slept right after a power cycle and that must have corrupted something about the boot volume, because after that it could not find a vol to boot. I have OS X Panther installed and also OS 9 - so the machine should have two boot "volumes" to choose from (both on same partition tho). I did a option-boot to show boot menu, and it displays no volumes - just the two icons: one a "reload" looking icon and other a "proceed" looking icon.

Volume looks ok when I boot via CD and run Disk Util. I just can't get the machine to find a boot volume. What should I do here? How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 3, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
Volume looks ok when I boot via CD and run Disk Util. I just can't get the machine to find a boot volume. What should I do here? How can I fix this problem?
have you tried setting the Startup Disk while you're in there? does it show any bootable volumes??
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules