Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How frequently does your machine kernel panic?

View Poll Results: How many kernel panics have you had?
Poll Options:
None, my Mac has been bulletproof. 83 votes (50.30%)
None, but my Mac has had other hardware problems. 6 votes (3.64%)
Just a few, but they are very rare. 71 votes (43.03%)
I have them fairly frequently. 5 votes (3.03%)
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll
How frequently does your machine kernel panic? (Page 2)
Squozen
Mar 6, 2005, 11:17 PM

I haven't had a kernel panic on my new PowerBook since I received it (sometime in January I think). My previous one panicked a couple of times, but they were my fault (I did a lot of fiddling with interface hacks and replacement drivers) and reinstalling the OS with the correct drivers made them go away.

adambooth
Mar 7, 2005, 12:59 AM

Been using this mac for over a year now. Never had a kernel panic since 10.0 (and anyone that used it can tell you thats not a big surprise).

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 02:44 AM

when I had a computer with a bad power supply, bad motherboard, bad CPU, and some bad RAM, I had a few KPs. (all of those parts were replaced and diagnosed by Apple as "bad" and KPs kept coming)

Got that machine replaced, no problems at all (unless I put that bad RAM back in).

My Sawtooth I used for about 4 years (2 or so on OS X) KP'd once thanks to a bad hard drive.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2005, 08:53 AM

My Mac kernel panics about as often as my PC BSoDs, which is to say, hardly ever.

JMII
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 09:59 AM

The only KP I've seen among the EIGHT Macs I have direct connect with (between home, work & friends) was a co-workers refurb unit that had a bad CPU. It was returned to Apple under warranty and fixed. At first we though bad RAM but it would KP immediately after the OSX Install and never got passed the "Welcome" screen even after removing all third party RAM.

In addition I've never had OSX lock up either... now I've had to force quit apps, log out/back in and restart, but never actually had to hit the restart button on the front panel - can't say the same for OS9 as hard restarts happend at least once a week it seemed.

So I'd rate it at bullet-proof

Forum Links
Forum Rules