Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My extended test drive of a rev d 12 (with pics), part 1

My extended test drive of a rev d 12 (with pics), part 1
Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 12:56 PM

OK, I got a nice, new rev d PowerBook 12-incher from Apple for a few days of road testing for a review and though I'd go ahead and post my initial impressions and a couple of photos.

First off, it'd my first real time with a 12 other than at the mall. I've owned a clamshell iBook, a 14-inch iBook and a PowerBook 17 (the PBs are seen above and some more below).

1. The keyboard is taking some time to get used to. It feels cramped and I'm missing the correct buttons (mostly do touch typing).

2. The keyboard has a nice feel, very responsive on the feedback.

3. Apple really needs backlit keyboards here. I never thought I'd use the feature much, but I do and I think it would rock on the 12.

4. Screen is cramped whereas the 17 almost has too much room for basic day-to-day usage (surfing, email, etc).

5. Battery life is good. Haven't timed it from fully charge to near-zero yet but it seems to be doing quite well.

6. Haven't really done any intense work with it (it has 512 ram) but it's not hot at all in regular usage.

7. I do like the flexibility in using it on on my lap. I'm in a reclining position while typing this and the screen hasn't budged 1mm, which the screen on 17 does a little when I shift around.

8. It is heavier than the 17, or at least it feels that way. Even my g/f mentioned that right away.

9. Very snappy performance so far. Sound is all right though not as good as the 17. No warping and it feels very well put together, moreso than an iBook.

10. Screen is good for basic stuff though I'm not sure how much I'd want to do any design or graphic work on. Or even editing text as one needs to scroll a good deal. The screen looks brighter than the 17 in the pictures but I think that was from the angle. In real life, the 17's screen is brighter but the 12 does a good job nevertheless.

Ok, that's about enough for now. I'll post back with Part 2 in a few days.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 02:57 PM

what do u mean by its heavier?

and how do you like your 6630 =)
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 03:04 PM

Maybe it's because of the compact size, but it feels heavier than the 17.

Love the 6630, best phone I've ever had. Just waiting for Tiger and ML Sync to be complete. It pairs great with the PB and I've used my old Tungsten T with bluetooth to transfer iSync'd stuff in the interim.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 04:24 PM

It might be more dense...but I can't see how it could feel heavier than the 17". Try holding it from the side and see how that feels. Also aren't the keyboards identical to each other across the board for the powerbooks (sans the backlit keyboards)? If so I don't know how it could feel cramped...I could understand if it looks cramped but if they're the same they should feel identical. I've used my cousins 17" and see no difference in keyboards. Must be nice having two powerbooks (even if one is for the GF). Hope you or her enjoi the new purchase and get ready to use expose to it's fullest (although I prefer cmd-tab myself).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 04:41 PM

i thnk its the new keyboard feel. i was playing with my friend's new 15 and the keyboard felt slightly different. over time i think the feel changes.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 07:17 PM

The keyboard gets 'worked in'. That stiff feeling of a new keyboard is a thing of beauty knowing that you are on a brand new machine.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 01:07 AM

iRez, it's a test model from Apple. I have to give the 12 back.

The keyboard is the same size but with no edges, it feels smaller. With the different dimensions, I'm typing in a different position, hands-wise, and so I'm missing the keys a bit. I'd get use to it but it's taking some time to adjust.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 01:21 AM

I just didn't want newcomers to think that the keyboard on the 12" is inferior to the 17". First the iMac now the 12" when are they gonna let you try out the dual 2.5 with dual 30" ACD's?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 01:32 AM

the 12 does feel heavier than the 17, but that's only because the weight is dispersed over it's mass, which is much greater on the 17 than the 12.
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I just didn't want newcomers to think that the keyboard on the 12" is inferior to the 17".
To be honest, it is inferior than the 17.

One, no backlit keyboard. Secondly, I noticed that the left Apple key and the 'w' key are showing blemishes. I'm the second use on it so unless a lot of windows were closed, that shouldn't be showing.

It's a fine machine and I wouldn't mind havng one as a second Mac.

And yes, I'd love to be set up with a Dual monster with 30" monitors. But I've had a time with an iMac G5 20, an iPod photo and now the PB12, so I'm doing all right.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Maybe it's because of the compact size, but it feels heavier than the 17.

12" PowerBook: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg)
17" PowerBook: 6.9 pounds (3.1 kg)

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2005, 11:26 AM

I don't know how the keyboard on the 12" Powerbook can be cramped if it's not on the 17" Powerbook considering the keyboards themselves are the same size.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Simon:

12" PowerBook: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg)
17" PowerBook: 6.9 pounds (3.1 kg)
I guess he meant "denser." Weight compared with its small size.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 11:35 AM

As I said in my previous post, being smaller, it feels heavier than the 17. And without edges, typing on it isn't done in the same manner that it is on the 17.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Voch:
I guess he meant "denser." Weight compared with its small size.

12" PowerBook: 2.1 kg, 1820 cm^3 -> rho = 0.00115 kg/cm^3
17" PowerBook: 3.1 kg, 2640 cm^3 -> rho = 0.00117 kg/cm^3

The 17" is actually denser.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Simon:

The 17" is actually denser.
Individual perceptions are just that: that's the way it feels to him, kudos to him for reporting it as it is.

Seems to me that what he's really saying is that something that small, compared to the 17", that your eyes tell you it really should feel lighter than what it really does weigh, therefore it feels heavier. We do weigh things with our eyes...

So, what I'd like to hear, is how the wireless range and throughput compare to the 17"? Also, how's it feel noise and heat-wise under similar computing loads?

Which one are you more likely to take with you to the library or when you travel?

What's your satisfaction level?

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 02:09 PM

Wireless seems good but I haven't taken it out of the house yet. Nor have I done any serious downloading work on (will do it on my day off).

That said, I'm pleased with the temperature. I would have thought it would be much hotter. I'm also getting more used to typing on it. And as much as I enjoy Sidetrack, the two-finger scrolling it a nice touch, though it takes some of the need away from the paging buttons.
If it were mine, I'd probably look into remapping those keys.

I've heard a little bit of hard drive noise, especially when I put a DVD in. It's the standard 80GB HD not the 100, but it is a little louder than the 17 but not that much.

I could see the appeal of having one to travel though if I were taking a plane trip, I'd still rather take the 17 with me (though the 12 would be good on the airplane itself).

If I were a student or going to the library, the 12 would be quite good though if I were a student, I might consider a tricked-out iBook over the PB.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2005, 05:14 AM

so what's the end verdict, you prefer the 17"
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2005, 06:16 AM

Hadn't updated this after my recent dental surgery.

Both the 17 and 12 are very nice machines. If the 12 had a backlit keyboard, the ability to swop batteries via sleep and could go to 2GB of ram (or at least 1.5), I'd almost say the 12.
But the 17 is a beautiful machine. The screen size can't be beat on a laptop and I find it pretty comfortable to go on the move and also to work in different places (reclining on couch as I type this with the 17 on my knee).

If I just needed 1 Mac, I'd go for the 17 for performance and portability at the same time. If I had a desktop such as an iMac or Mac mini, I'd consider going for the 12.

I do lots of writing and graphic design and layout on my machine, so I think the extra size is a bigger factor for my needs). I do also think I'd consider an iBook 12 if going for the smaller range.

As far as the rev d model, I loved the two-finger scrolling much more than I thought I would. It was quiet and much cooler temperature-wise than I also expected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules