Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > FFXI on MacBook (Bootcamp and Parallels)

FFXI on MacBook (Bootcamp and Parallels)
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 02:54 AM

So FFXI runs like a champ using boot camp and I'm excited I can now run it on my laptop.

The latest version of Parallels has some nice directX fixes and i can run the game pretty well! i was shocked. Sure i turned down the graphics, and only had 16mb of Video Ram, but It didn't run THAT bad.

My question is, in this situation, me upgrading to 2gb from the current 1gb of RAM I have, will it make a diff in Parallels so that it's close to BootCamp?

I figured the extra RAM will allow me to allocate more to boot camp as well as the GPU.

If anyone has a MacBook w/ 2gb of RAM and Parallels and wouldn't mind running the FFXI benchmark program, drop me a line.

Thanks

CIA
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 03:06 AM

{That's Interesting.}
I run FFXI on my Late Summer 2007 iMac (2.8Ghz, C2DE, 4GB Ram) under bootcamp, but am interested in the running it under parallels. In fact, my iBook G4 1.25 is about to die, I wanted to replace it with a MacBook but was concerned about FFXI performance under bootcamp with those integrated graphics.
What can you tell me about your experience? Do you run any windowers? I haven't tried the benchmark program for FFXI on the iMac, but I'll run it and post here. Could you post the same with your macbook under bootcamp? I won't cry if I can't use Parallels for FFXI, I don't mind booting into XP for it. I only use the PC version on special occasions when I want some eye candy (missions mostly). I was raised on the PS2 version, which I still play on 90% of the time so I can use my iMac for otherstuff while meriting/dynamis/besieged etc....

I'm on Gilgamesh, what about you?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 12:57 PM

i'llbe honest, i was shocked at how well it ran in Parallels.
The graphics were toned down and it didn't look as crisp as the PS2 version, but never the less it ran.

I'm just curious if i can crank up the Video Ram and virtual machine RAM in Parallels to get better performance, but don't have the cash just yet to upgrade to 2gb

Bootcamp like I said runs FFXI at the highest setting w/o any slow down what so ever.

Drew
Sep 2, 2007, 07:02 PM

Are you running XI on a macbook or macbook pro? I run it with bootcamp on my iMac C2D late '06 version, and it runs like a dream. I can run it at max settings, with no lag. I just got a macbook, and I'm debating whether or not to put boot camp on it for portable FFXI. Does the GMA950 work good with it?

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Are you running XI on a macbook or macbook pro? I run it with bootcamp on my iMac C2D late '06 version, and it runs like a dream. I can run it at max settings, with no lag. I just got a macbook, and I'm debating whether or not to put boot camp on it for portable FFXI. Does the GMA950 work good with it?
MacBook 2.1ghz 1GB of Ram w/ the Intel
it runs perfect on highest settings :-D

Drew
Sep 3, 2007, 11:20 PM

No way! I'm definately installing boot camp on this then! What world are you on? I'm Kisho from Asura, 54whm.

Taylor C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 10:38 AM

FFXI actually runs in Parallels now? Can anyone confirm this? Last time I tried it, PlayOnline wouldn't even load with Direct X support turned on.
15" MacBook Pro - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 7200RPM 160GB HD
20" iMac - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 1 GB - 250GB
8GB iPhone

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Taylor C View Post
FFXI actually runs in Parallels now? Can anyone confirm this? Last time I tried it, PlayOnline wouldn't even load with Direct X support turned on.
It does indeed work, it's just slower than hell.

I think anyone who's interested in playing it on their MacBook should donate to one fund then we can pledge to CrossOver.

What that does is it gives the open source developers cash to make their product work w/ POL and w/ FFXI.

I think if we get even around 10 people to pledge $30 we can make some movement.

Here is my post about it proposing it at Allakhazam
Allakhazam.com: Final Fantasy XI: Forums
( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Oct 5, 2007 at 04:46 AM. )

Taylor C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2007, 09:39 AM

It runs amazingly well with BootCamp on both my MBP and iMac. I'm about to test it on the latest build of Paralles.
15" MacBook Pro - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 7200RPM 160GB HD
20" iMac - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 1 GB - 250GB
8GB iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules