Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ringtones with 1.1.3

Ringtones with 1.1.3
cnlevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 02:18 AM

I have searched over and haven't found a definate answer, or maybe i'm just over looking it since i'm used to drag and drop .mp3's and this is my first "iPod (ish)" device.

I have an iPhone with firmware 1.1.3 on it that I used ZiPhone to Jailbreak. I've installed terminal and all that cool stuff (pretty funny messing with my roomates laptop while he's browsing the web and i just look like i'm texting).

Anyways, I found the ringtone directory and tried putting ringtons I've used on all my other phones (they are in .mp3) format, and it didn't work. I tried dragging them to the "ringtones" directory on iTunes and it didn't work (didn't think it would). My questions is this:

How do I get ringtones (my own) onto my iPhone without having to purchase the song and ringtone from iTunes? If there is a way to unlock it and jailbreak it then there is a way to do this. I found ways for previous versions as I said, just not for 1.1.3. Does anyone know a tutorial or whatever as to help with this?

I'm running OSX 10.5.2 (so no windows programs please). ALL of your help is greatly appreciated.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2008, 09:14 AM

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 09:36 AM

Most of my ringtones that I've been making with Garageband aren't very loud when I put them on my phone.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Most of my ringtones that I've been making with Garageband aren't very loud when I put them on my phone.
The only tip I have for that is to make sure each track volume is at it's loudest, and the overall sound output of garageband is also at it's loudest. Sounds like crap on the computer, but at least it's a little louder on the phone.

I agree with you though, it's not loud like OH THAT'S MY PHONE IN THE OTHER ROOM at all...

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
The only tip I have for that is to make sure each track volume is at it's loudest, and the overall sound output of garageband is also at it's loudest. Sounds like crap on the computer, but at least it's a little louder on the phone.

I agree with you though, it's not loud like OH THAT'S MY PHONE IN THE OTHER ROOM at all...
I usually turn up the decibel level to the highest it can go. Then it sounds all distorted and crappy on the phone. I just have to keep the vibrate turned up so I can at least feel it in my pocket.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2008, 11:50 AM

You can also use any other audio editor and rogueamoeba.com's makeiphoneringtone freeware. adjust the volume of the track in itunes (command i on the track.)

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I usually turn up the decibel level to the highest it can go. Then it sounds all distorted and crappy on the phone. I just have to keep the vibrate turned up so I can at least feel it in my pocket.
Same here, I've always got mine on ring/vibrate together. It's hard to find the right song for ringtones, anything with too much bass and stuff just sounds horrible. I'm about to just find some random sound files (not songs) that aren't annoying and are just loud. I get bored with songs for ringtones anyways after like a week of each song.

Thanks for the tip vmarks, I forgot that's another way to make the overall track louder.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
You can also use any other audio editor and rogueamoeba.com's makeiphoneringtone freeware. adjust the volume of the track in itunes (command i on the track.)
Actually I just tried out the command-i thing, and while you can adjust the volume on regular tracks, for some reason it looks disabled on all of my ringtones...

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Actually I just tried out the command-i thing, and while you can adjust the volume on regular tracks, for some reason it looks disabled on all of my ringtones...
I think he is saying do the "command+i" before you send it to Garageband.

cnlevo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 01:04 PM

I found out another way if anyone was interested that had previous rintones on .mp3 format for another phone (like me who had over 100).

1. Goto the song in iTunes (in the library). Right click it and choose "Convert to ACC"
2. Find the song in Finder or in Explorer (whichever OS you are using; if it's Windows that's your choice make sure that you can view file extensions. You can change this option in "Folder Options"). Rename the extension from .m4a to .m4r. KEEP THAT WINDOW OPEN!
3. Open iTunes and goto the "Ringtones" folder underneath your iPhone and click on it to view your ringtones (if you have any at all, if not it will just be blank). Now drag the converted .m4r file to the iTunes Ringtones folder.
4. Sync your iPhone if it hasn't already been synced (I have mine to manage my songs manually so when I add a song or anything it automatically syncs.
5. Now you can go back and delete the .m4a file if you want to and you have just converted your old .mp3 files to usable ringtones for your iPhone.

Just figured i'd share something I found out in thanks to everyone who has responded. Thanks for the replies!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
adjust the volume of the track in itunes (command i on the track.)
This will DEFINITELY result in distortion.

The other option if you're using GarageBand or another audio app to create/edit ringtones is to use a compressor on the track. This will reduce the dynamics on the track (i.e. reduce the volume difference between soft passages and loud passages), increasing the overall perceived volume.

Compressed to hell sounds like complete crap on a stereo (most CDs nowadays are overcompressed - really really terrible), but extremely useful for complete crap speakers such as on mobile phones.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2008, 09:31 AM

It hasn't resulted in distortion on the few I've done.

But then, I'm choosing some classical bits like Night on Bald Mountain, and some passages from Peer Gynt Suite, and it might have something to do with the source recordings I've used.

Also, as you say, it's a mobile phone. I'm not trying to (and I hope others aren't either) trying to provide entertainment to the world with the ringtone. I'm just trying to know that it's my phone ringing and not anyone else's. That's why I stopped using the antique phone ringtone - too many other people started using it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 12:43 PM

Pretty much every digital recording ever made has been normalized, meaning that the loudest peak in sound across the entire recording lies at -0 dB, with the complete rest of the recording below that.

If you simply increase the level using, say, iTunes' equalizer volume slider, you're *guaranteed* to drive the loudest passages of the piece above -0 dB, resulting in digital clipping - distortion.

Of course, this is irrelevant if the passage you're converting is nowhere near the maximum volume, and you're just pushing that up to the maximum you can.

For longer passages, or passages of varying dynamics, using a compressor to reduce the dynamic range and make everything sound louder is the "safe" alternative.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 03:01 PM

The few times I used garageband the volume of my ringtone was fine. The volume of the speakerphone is what sucks imo.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2008, 02:42 PM

i did the whole .m4r conversion thing. i have a 1.1.3 iphone, and the latest itunes. Itunes still imports the converted ringtones and i can put them on my phone but if i put more then one at a time, they are all named the same and all play the same tune. I have to remove all but the one that i want in order for it to play correctly.

JacobyO
Feb 27, 2008, 03:29 PM

I also had the multiple ringtone issue. I used Fission to edit my sound down, then used MakeiPhooneRingtone to convert to ringtone. The ringtone volume has been decent with what I am using but not being able to have more than one ringtone added is a bummer.

Anybody figure out a workaround for this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules