Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How is your MacBook after a year of Usage? About to buy...

How is your MacBook after a year of Usage? About to buy...
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 08:45 AM

Hi All,

So I was originally in the market for a MacBook Pro, until I read all the problems and annoyances at the casing design, also it seems the MacBook is a quality laptop that is perfect for the every day user. The only thing it lacks personally, for myself, is a higher end graphics card and larger screen.

So my question to you is:

How often do you use your MacBook?
How has it held up after the amount of time you've had it?
Any problems?
Are you happy with your MacBook?
Do you regret not getting the Pro?
And how much can you do with it in terms of applications before it begins to slow up? (assuming that you have the standard 2GB's RAM).
Also, as i'm about to start a course at university I was going to use student discount but I don't have access to the computer systems yet at my university, so I was going to use my girlfriends, will apple question this if I buy it in my own name? Or will the fact I bought it from a University server be fine to them?

Thanks!
( Last edited by kenna; Jun 13, 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: change of status)

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 09:33 AM

Hi Kenna

Edit: Just read your posts in the MBP survey thread.

Why I chose the MBP over other machines
- Could not stand the screen size/resolution of the MacBooks
- Discrete graphics on MBP - I keep my machines for a long time, so I need some longevity
- Best price, performance, design and feature combination for my needs

Having lived with my MBP for about a month now, I am generally very happy with it, and am still convinced that I took the best option.

One thing though, is that the MBP + textbook + notes can be quite a lot for a daily commute, and that's probably another thing to consider.

I have absolutely no issues with the quality of my MBP (I have lived with a PowerBook G4 for years, so I know a bit about where things can go wrong with the design etc).

I'm worried about discolouration and pitting from extended use (happened with my PowerBook), so I got a silicon keyboard cover and wristpad sticker. Both are discrete and removable, and I'm confident that it'll keep the machine in better condition.

The current MacBook design is not without flaws either - there have been many reports of cracked casings and discoloured wristpads.

That said, you're more likely to hear about the problems than from those who have absolutely no issues. I had quite a lot of apprehension over buying a MBP, but I'm very glad I did. Apple's notebooks are well regarded and doing really well in the market, so for all the complaints there may be, Apple's certainly doing a lot of good too.

Apart from the graphics card the MBP and MB have quite similar specs, so I think I can talk about the RAM issue.

2GB's definitely great; the current processors can handle just about anything you can throw at them. I got 4GB after a while because I needed more for virtualisation. Apart from that, daily apps and tasks don't seem markedly different before/after the upgrade.

I think either machine will handle the tasks you listed just fine. If you every feel like you need some extra oomph, you can very easily upgrade the RAM.

I think they generally want proof of your matriculation/student status (so that can be like a letter of acceptance), and in some cases a preliminary timetable. It's probably alright if you don't yet have a school email account.

I bought my machine through the Apple Developer Connection, and Apple asked for both. The ADC student discount (less ADC membership costs) works out to be much more than the regular education discount, so you might want to look into that.

There are rumours of a MacBook update at WWDC, so just hang in there if you can. In the meantime, think about what you really need
( Last edited by naphtali; May 26, 2008 at 09:47 AM. )

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks a lot thats a great reply,

I generally won't be needing it for anything graphic intensive, I just wanted longevity out of my machine. I understand that the MacBook and MacBook Pro's have their flaws design wise, things such as replaced boards and damaged shells etc. in the how is your MBP after a year thread really made me consider, I know everyone is different though and I think I would be happy with either. I understand you're more likely to hear the problems as well, it just seemed everyone had a fault with theirs.

The screen size was my major issue but I guess i'm okay with a 13.3 inch. The fact that they check on your student id kinda makes me think I should just pay full price. I was going to get the gf to make the purchase, but then it would have to be in her name? I'll only be a student come September so that would be a pain personally for me (to get it then as a noob of OSX and have to try and pick it all up whilst having to study.

I am generally a general user, I won't be pushing the system with graphics intensive tasks. But I do use my computer a lot. May possibly go back to some programming as thats what my degree is in, but can't see it being anything too intensive anyways. So the MacBook would be fine for me.

When is the WWDC conference anyways? Early June?

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 01:43 PM

Amazing, just had a chat with a genius and they said that because I have an acceptance letter they will give me my student discount of which she believed to be 14% thats amazing from Apple

I'm two minutes away from running around the room screaming "I love Apple" like that idiot #2 at Microsoft

Okay, so that gives me any amount of time to purchase my laptop so my question is this, would you rather place a MacBook Pro in your bag and go about your business daily for a year or a MacBook?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2008, 07:03 PM

Congrats on getting a Mac and the student discount! Most of the problems reported on MacBooks happened with the first models. The last few revisions have had significantly fewer problems.
I've had my black MacBook for 3 months. The hard drive died after a week, but fortunately I had a Time Capsule backup and lost no data; the drive was replaced in 30 minutes free under warranty at the Apple Store.
And that's sort of my point: with the money you save by not buying a MPB, you can get things like TC, AppleCare, RAM, software, iPod (remember that Apple often offers back-to=school specials where they bundle and iPod with a new Mac) that would probably be more useful to you than the MBP.
Other than the dead drive, the MacBook has been just wonderful, no problems, and I haven't missed the larger screen size; I went from a 15" PowerBook to the 13" MacBook. I definitely prefer the lighter weight and smaller size for carrying the MB around campus. It just feels a lot more portable. I haven't used a MBP.
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about learning to use a Mac -- it's really pretty intuitive, and they're all over campuses everywhere, so it's easy to get answers to questions. Good luck!

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp View Post
Congrats on getting a Mac and the student discount! Most of the problems reported on MacBooks happened with the first models. The last few revisions have had significantly fewer problems.
I've had my black MacBook for 3 months. The hard drive died after a week, but fortunately I had a Time Capsule backup and lost no data; the drive was replaced in 30 minutes free under warranty at the Apple Store.
And that's sort of my point: with the money you save by not buying a MPB, you can get things like TC, AppleCare, RAM, software, iPod (remember that Apple often offers back-to=school specials where they bundle and iPod with a new Mac) that would probably be more useful to you than the MBP.
Other than the dead drive, the MacBook has been just wonderful, no problems, and I haven't missed the larger screen size; I went from a 15" PowerBook to the 13" MacBook. I definitely prefer the lighter weight and smaller size for carrying the MB around campus. It just feels a lot more portable. I haven't used a MBP.
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about learning to use a Mac -- it's really pretty intuitive, and they're all over campuses everywhere, so it's easy to get answers to questions. Good luck!
Thanks a lot great reply!!

When do back-to-school offers come around normally?!

Yeah i'm thinking 4GB ram with iWork '08 and remote with S-Video cable so I can hook it up to my HDTV.

That'll still cost under a thousand which is amazing value!

I think i'll buy applecare at the end of my course say in ten months time so that I can benefit another 3 years of apple care to my mac....I can do this right?

Have you watched DVDs on the MacBook? How is the screen?

Do you like the keypad?

Do you have the official time capsule? £200 is pricey, but I suppose worth it....

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 26, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Hi All,

So I was originally in the market for a MacBook Pro, until I read all the problems and annoyances at the casing design, also it seems the MacBook is a quality laptop that is perfect for the every day user. The only thing it lacks personally, for myself, is a higher end graphics card and larger screen.

Any problems?
And how much can you do with it in terms of applications before it begins to slow up? (assuming that you have the standard 2GB's RAM).
Also, as i'm about to start a course at university I was going to use student discount but I don't have access to the computer systems yet at my university, so I was going to use my girlfriends, will apple question this if I buy it in my own name? Or will the fact I bought it from a University server be fine to them?

Thanks!
I use my Macbook everyday for hours on end, and it has definitely held up it's end. The only problem I have encountered are 2 small cracks on the spots where my wrists lay. This could have easily been avoided by getting a hard cover case. (Which I will be picking up soon). I run a fair amount of applications; Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3, Mail, Adium, itunes, VLC player. Things get a little slow when using the CS3 applications but I am running on 1GB of RAM.

If were to change anything on my Macbook it would be to upgrade to so more RAM. Otherwise I am extremely happy with my choice. I don't regret not getting a Pro. I think the Macbook is a good choice for a college student. If you really need the extra power then go with a Pro, but I stand behind the Macbook. Good luck

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks a lot great reply!!

When do back-to-school offers come around normally?!

Yeah i'm thinking 4GB ram with iWork '08 and remote with S-Video cable so I can hook it up to my HDTV.

That'll still cost under a thousand which is amazing value!

I think i'll buy applecare at the end of my course say in ten months time so that I can benefit another 3 years of apple care to my mac....I can do this right?

Have you watched DVDs on the MacBook? How is the screen?

Do you like the keypad?

Do you have the official time capsule? £200 is pricey, but I suppose worth it....
My memory is the sales happen in late summer, but no guarantees.

Yes, you can wait till the end of the original warranty to get AppleCare; you give up free phone support after 90 days, but you'll be on campus and probably have plenty of other options for help if needed.

The glossy MacBook screen is to my eyes a significant improvement over the PowerBook and is excellent for DVDs, but there's no substitute for trying it out yourself -- bring your favorite DVD to the store and try it.

The keypad (which is quite different from most computer keyboards) has its detractors, but judging by forum comments, most people really like it. I think it's BY FAR the best keyboard I've ever used, laptop or desktop, in 20 years of computer use, and a major reason to get a MB over a MBP (or any other laptop, for that matter). However, keyboard preferences are idiosyncratic, and again, you should try it yourself. Give it a little while, though, as it may take time for your hands to adjust. I absolutely love the MB keyboard.

Yes, I have the "official" apple 1TB TimeCapsule. You can get the 500 GB model cheaper, and it's not so pricey when you consider that you're essentially getting an AirPort router for wireless internet plus a big hard drive that backs up everything automatically (and wirelessly) without your having to think about it. I also use it to store lots of music so I don't have to clutter my MacBook's hard drive. It also backs up my wife's PowerBook, and we used our old Airport to enable AirTunes (i.e. beaming music to our stereo).
Regardless of whether you get TC or not, please please please have some kind of daily backup strategy -- either online through .mac or Mozy or DropBox etc, or external HD, burning to CD etc -- and preferably both. For the hour or so after my MB drive died and before I knew the Time Machine/Capsule backup had actually worked, I was almost sick thinking about the work I might have lost since my last CD backup a week or two earlier.
Anyway, enjoy your new MacBook. I got 2 gb of RAM, which has been plenty, but you can't go wrong with more. Also, if it's your only computer, consider getting a stand of some kind and external keyboard to avoid neck/back/wrist problems during extended typing sessions. And get a padded sleeve or case of some kind to protect it when carrying in your backpack around campus. Oh, and iWork is great but you might also download the free NeoOffice if you run into compatibility problems with PC users. Also, check your campus bookstore for various Mac specials on software etc.
I see more Macs than ever at every campus I go to, even a majority of all computers I see, so you'll likely have plenty of company and advice and support. good luck!

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2008, 02:25 PM

Woah! I love this forum, so many great replies

I'm settled, i'd be buying the MacBook Black in two weeks time if it wasn't for these rumours about an update.

Can anyone shed light on the situation and whether people realistically believe there to be a redesign by August? And if so, why you believe the rumours?

I'd really be annoyed if I lost out on a nice new MacBook completely re-designed. Would be a great buy. Although I do love the Black version anyways!

What cases would you recommend for the MacBook?

I'm thinking of getting a time capsule, 500GB one, maybe i'll get the 2GB RAM and a Time Capsule, I guess I can always upgrade the RAM in the future, but my work would otherwise be lost forever.

Thanks to all posters!!

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2008, 06:57 PM

Can finally afford a MacBook Black now, going looking at one on Friday........

Maybe next week I may splash the cash......

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2008, 12:58 AM

I just picked one up myself (black MacBook, that is). Replaced a 1st gen MacBook (1.83Ghz CD) and a current gen MBP (which I tried to like, but ultimately gave to my wife)

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
I just picked one up myself (black MacBook, that is). Replaced a 1st gen MacBook (1.83Ghz CD) and a current gen MBP (which I tried to like, but ultimately gave to my wife)
What?

You seriously couldn't like the Pro?

I went to the apple store yesterday, I saw the MacBook Air, real nice, but the specs suck.

Think i'm going to get the MacBook Black on Friday, so that'll mean i'll get it the following week, going to get iWork 08, remote and 4GB RAM

The Black MacBook didn't seem as fast as my friends iMac though??? Maybe its just because the one in store has been put through its paces....

MacBook Pro is real nice, I love the light on the back of the screen. But for my needs, I think the MacBook Black is definitely the best thing I can go for.....

Cold Warrior
May 31, 2008, 10:40 AM

I thought you were going to wait because of the rumors?

Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 04:06 PM

In my experience, MacBooks do run quite a bit slower because of their crappy graphics. I have owned two MacBooks, 3 iMacs, and I no own a MacBook Pro, and wouldn't go back for the world.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I thought you were going to wait because of the rumors?
Was tempted, but I think the rumours maybe rubbish, I don't see them doing an upgrade at WWDC and then it would surely be September/October before theres even a real chance of an upgrade?

I suppose no1 knows, but I just see it that way. The only competition the MacBook Black has at the moment is with the MacBook Air (looked amazing at the store, and I won't be using anything graphically intensive, my only worry that would be two years down the line it maybe ridiculously dated (spec wise)) for me personally.

But I think the Black is the way to go. I could wait for the new MacBook but I could be waiting months, I really need to get to grips with OS X Leopard or OS X in general as i'm a noob. If it doesn't drop before August I could have enjoyed a great laptop for a few months and been completely to grips with it for my course, only to end up with the same laptop that I could have had at this 3 months previously.

Do you see a release (personally) before August?

Also i've been discussing this with Simon via p.ms. Here is our conversation:

Originally Posted by Simon
Hi kenna,

I'm not convinced there will be a MB update this summer. And looking at the recent iMac update I wouldn't expect too much from the MB update in terms of chipset. There will probably be a different case material (Al instead of plastic) and possibly the introduction of LED-backlit screens. But in terms of RAW performance, RAM/HDD capacities I wouldn't expect anything stellar. If you need a MB now, you should buy it now. If you can wait, you can do that too, but keep in mind that there's always something to wait for.

Originally Posted by kenna
Is it silly to think they will be released at the WWDC?
It isn't silly, but I still wouldn't expect it to happen. WWDC is more about the pro and software world. It will likely be heavily iPhone and OS X dominated. Maybe new MBPs. Still, since WWDC's so close and you obviously have time, you might as well wait till after WWDC just to be on the safe side.

And do you think the Al casing will be less reliable than the present case?
Not if it's anything like the current Al MBP. Al tends to dent and bend (when abused), but it doesn't crack (like some current MBs). But Al also transports heat better so expect a warmer case if they go Al. It is thinner though, so in principle an Al MB could be a bit sleeker than the current MB.

Finally do you think LED lit screens are that much different to the screens now?
They are brighter, more evenly lit, and they turn on basically immediately - there is no warm-up time. I really like the LED-backlit screen I have on my new MBP. That said, this is no dramatic difference, but it's the kind of thing you learn to appreciate with time.

Simon
I'm 90% sure of the MacBook Black. I'm looking to intensify my thoughts running up until Friday and then i'll make my decision

What you think I should do?

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
In my experience, MacBooks do run quite a bit slower because of their crappy graphics. I have owned two MacBooks, 3 iMacs, and I no own a MacBook Pro, and wouldn't go back for the world.
How are the MacBook Pros compared to the MacBooks in terms of portability and build in your opinion? For a College student would you recommend the MacBook or the MacBook Pro for someone who uses a lot of apps but nothing graphically intensive?

Finally to everyone, as a first time buyer, I am used to laptops that run down in terms of performance after a few months thanks to the windows based operating systems. Can I expect the same performance even a year down the line? This kinda thing is priceless if so, I would spend so much on this kinda thing, its an amazing part of the OS if true

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2008, 03:54 PM

I've had my macbook 9 months, and there has been no noticeable slow down, the best computer I've ever owned. Had one problem, harddrive went kaputt, but got it all fixed for free at a local apple retailer. Also, it is ideal for students (I am one myself, but college, not university), and many a time I have to take my computer into college. I find the Macbook to be the ideal size for putting in a bag with one of those neoprene cases (those bags that you have one strap and the bag dangles at the side of you, if you know what I mean), its as if the bags have been designed for the macbook! Almost any of these kinda bags will fit a macbook in a sleeve, although I'm not entirely sure a MBP would fit in with a case (It wouldn't in my bag thats for sure).
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
I've had my macbook 9 months, and there has been no noticeable slow down, the best computer I've ever owned. Had one problem, harddrive went kaputt, but got it all fixed for free at a local apple retailer. Also, it is ideal for students (I am one myself, but college, not university), and many a time I have to take my computer into college. I find the Macbook to be the ideal size for putting in a bag with one of those neoprene cases (those bags that you have one strap and the bag dangles at the side of you, if you know what I mean), its as if the bags have been designed for the macbook! Almost any of these kinda bags will fit a macbook in a sleeve, although I'm not entirely sure a MBP would fit in with a case (It wouldn't in my bag thats for sure).
Yeah thats definitely something I wouldn't be happy doing with the Pro, the only fear with the MacBook would be the case braking.

I guess the main complaint on my side of things with the MacBook is that the design is dated, its in need of a overhaul. These are the same laptops my lecturers had two years ago, whilst the MacBook Pro whilst still dated is sleek and has the lit up Apple sign on the back which is nice Same goes with the Air.

But then I have to slap myself and designing joys and tell myself that this is a laptop for Uni, I can start small, then upon finishing college and possibly another year, move onto a Pro. The Air is definitely a joy to look at and as much as its portable i'd be scared of braking the thing, it looks as though i'd snap it in two if I did do something stupid.

The MacBook Black is the best time to buy, recently updated and has all its major design flaws ridden, then only thing I need to worry about is where I put my hands and for such a minor flaw I think its definitely the laptop for me.

I also tried out the keypad and I must say its nice

So i'm thinking Friday is the day that I purchase my first Mac, unless anyone on here changes my mind and believes there will be an update before August

By the way, the backpack I will be purchasing houses both a 13 inch and 15 inch laptop and its nice:

MacBook/MacBook Pro Bag by booq

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2008, 04:24 PM

The WWDC conference is in 7 days or something, why not wait it out until after then? Thats the most likely chance for a COMPLETE overhaul of the macbook, but I'm not putting money on it.

Oh, the normal macbooks have the light on the back aswell, white and black.

At first I wanted a MBP, but now I realise the decision I made was the right one. I can't really see why I would have needed the pro. I've adapted to the 13" screen size, which I find perfect, and I have an external 20" in my room for when I need a bit more space, which the macbook is perfectly capable of doing.

ps. Get the white one.

pps. That bag looks good aswell!
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
The WWDC conference is in 7 days or something, why not wait it out until after then? Thats the most likely chance for a COMPLETE overhaul of the macbook, but I'm not putting money on it.

Oh, the normal macbooks have the light on the back aswell, white and black.

At first I wanted a MBP, but now I realise the decision I made was the right one. I can't really see why I would have needed the pro. I've adapted to the 13" screen size, which I find perfect, and I have an external 20" in my room for when I need a bit more space, which the macbook is perfectly capable of doing.

ps. Get the white one.

pps. That bag looks good aswell!
Yeah I know WWDC is in two weeks I believe, but its a pro related conference and I really can't see it happening. Surely Pro's could care less for MacBooks?

I have a HDTV in my room, i'm hoping to use that as my external monitor, but I don't know what the port looks like that i'll need to hook it up to the MacBook?

You prefer the white one?

And yeah I love that bag!!! It'll be perfect for Uni!

And no way! I didn't realise that the apple logo lit up on the white and black macbooks???

Way I see it is, a complete overhaul would come at a conference???

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2008, 10:16 PM

Mine developed the "Crack" a few months ago. I haven't taken it to get fixed yet because it's my only good computer and I have separation anxiety. I need to prepare myself to be without it for a few days. But I will.. I will. I have a couple weeks left. I can do this.

I do regret not getting a Pro. But at the same time not. This white MacBook is amazing as it is. And the Pro's are outdated design-wise. So I saved a few hundred to use when the inevitable Pro updates come along. Probably next year. My cycle is about 2-3 years between machines. I want the larger resolution of the Pro and that's pretty much all I really want. Though I would have settled for a higher resolution on the MacBook's. Like the next step up (1440x900) but with the 13".

I have 1GB of RAM. 2GB was NOT standard back a year ago. And it works fine for what I use. Though yes, it does slow down a bit sometimes.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2008, 12:30 PM

Yeah I know WWDC is in two weeks I believe, but its a pro related conference and I really can't see it happening. Surely Pro's could care less for MacBooks?

I have a HDTV in my room, i'm hoping to use that as my external monitor, but I don't know what the port looks like that i'll need to hook it up to the MacBook?

You prefer the white one?

And yeah I love that bag!!! It'll be perfect for Uni!

And no way! I didn't realise that the apple logo lit up on the white and black macbooks???

Way I see it is, a complete overhaul would come at a conference???
I personally think, if they're going to release a completely new macbook (new design etc), they will make a big deal out of it, eg by showing it off at a conference. BUT, I think this conference is destined for the iPhone 2, but personally, I would wait until after this conference until I bought the macbook, because there is a slim chance it could be completely redesigned.

Oh, I sometimes connect my mac to the HD Tv in our lounge sometimes, the tv has a VGA connector (looks like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-SVGA_port.jpg) so I use a mini-dvi to VGA adaptor which I bought from the apple website (they're a complete rip off for what you get, £15!). Also, I recommend getting the apple remote aswell, it came free with my mac, but nowadays theyre seperate, its proper good for watching movies or whatever while on your bed. BTW, you're connector could look like this: http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cable...vi_d-box-l.jpg which is a DVI connector, which I use for my monitor upstairs. Once again, I bought the mini-dvi to DVI adaptor for this, the mini-dvi goes into the mini-dvi port on the macbook.

I think the white one is better in my own opinion. At first I was sure I was going to get the black one as I'd heard all these stories about the macbooks white fading and rubbish, which mine hasnt at all, I clean it about once every 2-3 months though, but if you have incredibly sweaty hands then you might need to clean it a bit more. And yeah, the white and black macbooks have the lit up apple logo on the back, looks so cool when you see it at home. And I also think the white macbook has a bit more sex appeal aswell (haha), white stands out from the rest and people are always more amazed at the white ones when they see them, because theyre white. ALSO, the white ones are cheaper, which I found a nice addition to my choice.

I'm thinking, if you're going to the apple store special on Friday because its the only time you can go, then get the macbook while youre there, otherwise, if you can, wait it out another week (I'm guessing youre exams will have finished by this friday then? If theyre not, it'd just be a massive distraction!).

ciao for now.
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

abeato6
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2008, 02:18 PM

I'm gonna give you a simple reason on why you should buy a MacBook Pro.. it's just awesome, the best computer I've ever had.. powerful, sexy jaja
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Andrew88088
Jun 10, 2008, 12:19 PM

I've had my white MacBook for just about a year now.. and I'm still in love with it! I've had no problems at all with it. No cracks thankfully! I only use mine for surfing/music/light photo stuff and it does everything I need flawlessly. I still only have 1GB of RAM, so I may upgrade that soon.. not that I've noticed any slow down or anything..
I like the MBP, but realistically it's more than I need. Plus I like the whiteness of mine. I do wish the MB had a backlit keyboard though. Oh well. I think you'll be happy with the MacBook

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 06:35 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies

I decided to wait until this week, i'm looking at getting the MacBook Pro if its updated

If not, i'm back to square one, I might dip for the MBP but I imagine the MacBook will prevail....then again who knows

Anyways i'm not pondering on this until Friday haha its too much of a head ache, maybe a coin toss will be the final decision!

Nah, i'll see my money situation and decide I'll be sure to discuss before I buy

/Prays for new Mac release at WWDC

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 08:09 PM

I will

Thinking the MacBook would be a sure thing if not for the cracks people seem to be suffering with.....

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies

I decided to wait until this week, i'm looking at getting the MacBook Pro if its updated

If not, i'm back to square one, I might dip for the MBP but I imagine the MacBook will prevail....then again who knows

Anyways i'm not pondering on this until Friday haha its too much of a head ache, maybe a coin toss will be the final decision!

Nah, i'll see my money situation and decide I'll be sure to discuss before I buy

/Prays for new Mac release at WWDC

Make sure to post results

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 03:28 PM

hmmm....apple site wouldn't work for me I got this in Firefox:

The connection has timed out

The server at Apple is taking too long to respond
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Apparently its just me

Apologies to mods for starting thread....I got my hopes up

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 04:52 PM

Decided on the MacBook Black, 4 GB RAM, iWork '08 and the Apple Remote

Will be making my purchase Friday night unless they release something new

Pro is too expensive and I can't give reasons as to why I should spend so much.

So 4GBs RAM should improve performance of the MacBook Black and hopefully the graphics card will be good enough for 3 years or so????

Thats the only thing that really bothers me, but i've waited long enough.

Now my mind is set. I will purchase MacBook Black (as all my electronics in my room are this colour i.e. hdtv and xbox360) this Friday

bmwk100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 10:44 PM

You won't regret your decision. In regards to worrying about it breaking down, take it from me these things are sturdy. My two year old Mac Book flew out of my saddlebag while riding at about 80mph on a highway. Scratched case but no other problems. If it survived that, it should survive anything you throw at it.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bmwk100 View Post
You won't regret your decision. In regards to worrying about it breaking down, take it from me these things are sturdy. My two year old Mac Book flew out of my saddlebag while riding at about 80mph on a highway. Scratched case but no other problems. If it survived that, it should survive anything you throw at it.

Good advice, how good is the graphics card? Will I ever experience slowdown with usual web browsing (with lots of pictures on display) or watching video???

I won't be doing any 3d animation or anything

I will be purchasing in 18 hours!!!! Can't wait! But will be 3 days before delivery I believe, anyone know if its next day delivery after that???

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 07:28 PM

How often do you use your MacBook? Every day, 1-8 hours a day
How has it held up after the amount of time you've had it? Not well, see below.
Any problems? My first MacBook had repeated problems with the DVD drive which eventually led Apple to completely swap it out for a newer one. The replacement then had repeated hard drive and logic board issues.
Are you happy with your MacBook? Despite all of the above, it's a hell of a little machine. Applecare has been excellent through all my issues.
Do you regret not getting the Pro? Yes. I wish I'd plunked down the extra change for the graphics card, primarily because I suspect I will not be able to play Spore on this computer.
It does not slow down, ever, no matter how many windows I open--and I tend to do a lot of stuff. We're talking multiple Flash windows, Internet, Adobe, etc.
Also, as i'm about to start a course at university I was going to use student discount but I don't have access to the computer systems yet at my university, so I was going to use my girlfriends, will apple question this if I buy it in my own name? Or will the fact I bought it from a University server be fine to them? I don't understand your question...if you're asking whether apple cares what computer you use to buy your computer with a college discount--no, they do not.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post

How often do you use your MacBook? Every day, 1-8 hours a day
How has it held up after the amount of time you've had it? Not well, see below.
Any problems? My first MacBook had repeated problems with the DVD drive which eventually led Apple to completely swap it out for a newer one. The replacement then had repeated hard drive and logic board issues.
Are you happy with your MacBook? Despite all of the above, it's a hell of a little machine. Applecare has been excellent through all my issues.
Do you regret not getting the Pro? Yes. I wish I'd plunked down the extra change for the graphics card, primarily because I suspect I will not be able to play Spore on this computer.
It does not slow down, ever, no matter how many windows I open--and I tend to do a lot of stuff. We're talking multiple Flash windows, Internet, Adobe, etc.
Also, as i'm about to start a course at university I was going to use student discount but I don't have access to the computer systems yet at my university, so I was going to use my girlfriends, will apple question this if I buy it in my own name? Or will the fact I bought it from a University server be fine to them? I don't understand your question...if you're asking whether apple cares what computer you use to buy your computer with a college discount--no, they do not.
Thanks Helming, I think Apple Care sounds like a great service and as much as you may say the Pro would be worth the extra £££s for your own use, I do not play games on laptops and therefore it sounds as though the MacBook would be perfect for my usage.

I would use my 360 for playing games anyways. With what you've said about the RAM and everything that you do, I have to say it sounds like a great system that I can't wait to purchase now.

Thank you very much Helming!!!!

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2008, 11:53 AM

/Is about to make purchase : )

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2008, 12:46 PM

PURCHASED!!!!!

MacBook 13.3inch 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Super Drive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
Apple Remote
Apple mini-DVI to VGA adapter
Country Kit
Keyboard and User's Guide

Now I just have to impatiently wait

Thanks for everyones advice

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 01:43 AM

Will this be your last post on this topic then?
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
Will this be your last post on this topic then?
Well I would like to know if I need to buy any anti virus software or anything?

I know Macs are supposed to not get virus' but this will be my first one so I don't know what I need to know, if anything?

Also I don't have a base station but I do have a linksys wireless router? Is this all I need to run things smoothly over the net?

Other than that, is it possible to watch DVD's full screen? I was trying to maximise the window in the Apple store and I couldn't figure out how?

Thanks if that was a legitimate post and i'm not just annoying you

Cold Warrior
Jun 14, 2008, 10:22 AM

Don't waste your money on antivirus. However, your occasional time is ok. Use this free app to scan:
ClamXav 1.1e92 - MacUpdate

Yes, you can watch DVDs full screen on your Mac. Cmd-F or Cmd-0 does it. DVDs open in full screen by default when a DVD is inserted.

Your networking setup looks ok at first glance, but posting a separate topic in Networking wouldn't hurt.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Don't waste your money on antivirus. However, your occasional time is ok. Use this free app to scan:
ClamXav 1.1e92 - MacUpdate

Yes, you can watch DVDs full screen on your Mac. Cmd-F or Cmd-0 does it. DVDs open in full screen by default when a DVD is inserted.

Your networking setup looks ok at first glance, but posting a separate topic in Networking wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for the free app i'll be sure to use it

Ahh brill, I didn't really know what I was doing in the shop so I was just dragging it at the bottom of the screen, the picture quality was impressive though.

And thanks, I didn't know my router settings so I did a re-install yesterday, that way I should be ready for when it arrives.

Is there a thread on this forum for tips and tricks for noobs? Just somewhere to start for when I get it! Thanks a lot for everyones help, really appreciated

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 11:36 AM

Had this thread going since Sept last year, it's a good few pages long, and may be worth a read

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2008, 06:50 PM

^^ Thanks, I spent a while reading you're thread a while back, even posted there! haha, its a shame so many people seem to have faulty products, i'm hoping I don't suffer but i'm definitely going to take out Apple Care before the year is up.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 05:50 AM

Still waiting for my MacBook Black, it was dispatched on Tuesday! How long do couriers take to deliver the product??? I tracked my order but it doesn't state where the MacBook is, it just gives me a message saying that it should be here by Wednesday, but thats over a week for delivery and my friend said his iMac came a few days after his iMac was dispatched

/Sick of posting on a P.C

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 09:20 AM

- daily - infact, I've had it just over a year and I don't think it's ever been switched off. Okay - maybe it's been off once or twice but for the most time, it's always on or alsleep.

Apart from being a little bit grubby (finger prints etc), it's held up really well.
Any problems?
Yep, the grey palm rest cracked and lost a splinter of plastic near the edge (a known issue).
Very happy even if it doesn't have the build quality of my G3 iBook clamshell which was bombproof
No. It was easy for me to upgrade the hard disk to 7,200 in the MB - apparently not quite so easy in the MBP. It was also easy to upgrade the RAM. I don't really need the graphics power of the MBP.

I did regret it a little last year when using aperture 1.5 as it was slow but Aperture 2 has sorted out those issues and zips along. The MB form factor is perfect for my needs and video out to a 24' 1920x1200 monitor works perfectly for my needs.

I added a 2GB stick so I have 2.5GB RAM. I often have firefox open with 10+ tabs, might have itunes playing, and then another app in for foreground like aperture. It sings. No beachballs or paging. The mac really benefits from a lot of RAM - it's cheap these days - put as much as you can in.

Thanks!
answer inside quote..
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 12:29 PM

^^^Thanks, did Apple replace the broken part of the shell via AppleCare?

I'm tempted with Aperture, looks a really good app, would the average user benefit from using Aperture over iPhoto '08?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 02:44 PM

Virtually every day for the past two years - it's my primary machine. I work that thing much harder than it was designed to work, and it keeps on kicking.
Decently well. It's still chugging along splendidly for two solid years now. I'm glad I got Applecare though - almost half its components have been replaced since I bought it.
Any problems?
Never any that Apple wasn't happy to fix. The worst was the motherboard going out recently - the repair was quoted as costing over $1,000 (US), but fortunately it was covered by the warrantee.
Absolutely.
Never. I'll be upgrading soon, but for the past few years the regular Macbook has been perfect for me.
More than I ever do. I'll have Safari running with 10+ tabs, Xcode compiling in the background, iTunes playing music, and I'll be writing a paper in Word, all without a hint of slowdown. And this is with an old 1.8GHz Core Duo (NOT a C2D).
Nah, they shouldn't care.

Thanks!
You're welcome!
Also answered inline.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks Theo!

I'm definitely going to invest in Apple Care also :thumbsup

MacBook has arrived! I am posting from my First Mac!!!!

Currently, no problems, I spent 45 minutes on the phone to Apple about setting it up wirelessly, apparently my security didn't work with Apple. Can anyone recommend a Protocol that does?

Anyways i'm now posting wirelessly as we changed my security to a setting that worked, but whats the best?!

Thanks to everyone, i'm going to stay here posting its a great forum.

Oh and I think that I made the right decision, this is the perfect size for me and everything is super-fast! I'm very much impressed : )

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2008, 06:42 PM

Hi Kenna,

congrats on your new toy

In answer to your question about the palm rest crack being fixed on my mac, it's not fixed because I haven't returned it.

I'm out of warranty a few months but shouldn't need apple care to fix this as it's a design flaw and an easy fix for them.

I have 2 apple stores with in an hours travel from me but just can't be bothered to take ti back. I love using my mac - I use it everyday. I just couldn't really stand to be without it. Th eonly way I will ever bring it back is if it can be fixed in a day and I have a reason (other than getting my mac fixed to be in either location for a day.

I guess the next thing for you to do is find some of the cool applications out there for the mac.

growl and istats menu are both pretty cool
vienna is a great rss reader
carbon copy cloner - good for backing up

I linked some of my favourites here
Kieren’s Website � Cool os X Apps
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks a lot ixus

I'm loving my new toy, its perfect for me, all that worry about the pro was rubbish, the screen is easily the perfect size for a laptop, can read everything and even watch movies with it and its plenty. Very impressed.
And yet I can quite easily put it in a bag and go on my travels no problem...

Buying the 4GBs RAM was the best thing I did, constantly loads of free space which increases my longevity, i've downloaded iStat Pro...I think. The one that assesses my computer? Does it superbly well, I love knowing the fans, space, cpu of my computer.

Using Safari is the best browser experience i've had so far, I used to use Firefox but it was buggy and shut itself down randomly. Safari is currently running with around 8 tabs perfectly. I love it.

I'll check out your recommendations...but having problems reaching your site?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Forum Links
Forum Rules