Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 140)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 10:27 AM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2009, 11:00 AM

Regarding sequels - sure everyone loves a sequel if it's done right. But would you rather play Modern Warfare 18 or a couple of MW sequels and 16 other new and original ideas? I choose the latter, thanks.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 11:04 AM

A. That's a ridiculous example
B. By that time, it's less a sequel and more a series.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 11:07 AM

Not going to happen. They didn't take his IP, just the idea.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
This is one of the dumbest questions you could ask on a Mac forum. Think about it.
But it's ridiculous! It's just as lame as someone caring what their stupid avatar looks like on XB live and wasting their money on unnecessary apparel.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
But it's ridiculous! It's just as lame as someone caring what their stupid avatar looks like on XB live and wasting their money on unnecessary apparel.
Your avatar is a virtual object made up pixels and is probably viewed by yourself and people for less than 5 minutes cumulative a day.

A console is a physical object that is a permanent fixture within your entertainment hardware is likely viewable whenever you're in your living room regardless of whether you're using it.

They're not exactly on par there, chief.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2009, 12:52 PM

A. That's a ridiculous example
B. By that time, it's less a sequel and more a series.
Well change it to 8 instead of 18, then. There are at least 7 versions of Call of Duty (11 total if you include console specific versions). And we're up to 14 in Final Fantasy? Ratchet and Clank? Resident Evil? Not to mention the same damn sports games being released every year with a new roster on the same engine with slightly tweaked graphics.

I'd much rather be playing new IPs than rehashing those games all the time. And over the past couple of years I've played quite a few great ones - Uncharted, Infamous, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Mass Effect, and Gears of War (although that is probably going to turn into a series of its own).

And I'm not against sequels - just hate that we have so many games into the 7th and 8th iteration with more effort on those than new IPs.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 01:05 PM

Once again, you're blurring the line between a sequel and a series.

Would you rather play Gears of War of Gears of War 2? Forza 2 or Forza 3? Modern Warfare or Modern Warfare 2? Rock Band or Rock band 2?

There's a definite advantage for gamers in sequels: They're more likely to be proven and polished. That's why they're more attractive.

And I'm not against sequels - just hate that we have so many games into the 7th and 8th iteration with more effort on those than new IPs.
I'm with you, I'm with you (See; Need for Speed). I'd say once you get past the number 3 or 4, you're turning into a series. Yeah, Modern Warfare is actually CoD4, but arguably they reinvented the series (hence why they've broken it off into its own franchise – sort of). It's also noteworthy that CoD4 is actually the third CoD by Infinity Ward.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 01:25 PM

There is a VERY fine line between a sequel and a series. They are all just additions to the previous game. (Madden, Need for Speed, Call of Duty) More or less it's way to play it safe and sell more copies based on the existing game, since you have some proven starting point. You take what has worked previously and build on it. Not that there is a problem with it, but you do reach a saturation point (Madden, Need For Speed, Call of Duty) where you need to refresh the line up. It can be debatable that this refresh, kills the sequel tag and makes it a series, but overall they are pretty much the same.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 02:20 PM

Can anybody explain what they mean by a sequel versus a series? It seems to me that the difference is just that a sequel is a member of a series.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 02:26 PM

Sure.

Sequel = Few
Series = Many

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 02:47 PM

So there's no substantive difference? It's like the difference between two cowpies and seven cowpies?
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Can anybody explain what they mean by a sequel versus a series? It seems to me that the difference is just that a sequel is a member of a series.
Developers will actually refer to a series as the franchise (Call of Duty, Madden, Need for Speed).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 02:50 PM

So there's no substantive difference?
If you think (on average) there's no substantive difference in the quality, innovation, and effort that goes into the second or third version of a game versus the seventh or eighth, sure.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 03:06 PM

I think the problem is that the next versions are usually based off the pervious version, a lot of times the same engine and codebase, with a different scenario with a few control tweaks. CoD: World at War for example was the Modern Warfare engine, tweaked a little and dropped back into the world war 2 setting. This really was more of a campaign update.

If there is a big enough change then it often gets labelled as a 'reboot'. Like how Modern Warfare dropped the World War 2 scenarios and moved to modern war combat. Now they are trying to make it isn't own franchise now and split the two.

Everything is pretty similar, this is why I say its all a fine line. Just a matter of how you look at it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I think the problem is that the next versions are usually based off the pervious version, a lot of times the same engine and codebase, with a different scenario with a few control tweaks. CoD: World at War for example was the Modern Warfare engine, tweaked a little and dropped back into the world war 2 setting. This really was more of a campaign update.
You do know that WaW is a different developer, right? Its a **** sequel, yeah, but MW2, by Infinity Ward is the developer's sequel. Looks damn good and, not so coincidentally, has been under development for two years.

Everything is pretty similar, this is why I say its all a fine line. Just a matter of how you look at it.
There's a ton of grey area... but to sum up what I'm trying to say, I think the difference and improvement between an original IP and its first or second sequel will be much more substantive than the difference between number six through number ten of that IP (Generically speaking).

Edit: I was just ragging on Madden 10 the other day because QB vision has disappeared. Of course sports games are the guiltiest of unnecessary sequels (Not to start beating that dead horse again).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 03:11 PM

The PS3 just had a $100 price drop. What do you want from us? Absolution for buying a 360 a third or fourth time?
Nope...

The rationale that I've been leaning towards for what's going on with the 360 is precisely what jokell put out there...

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
And at this point I think it's more about what console your friends own than what the current hardware lineup is.
The 360, at this point, is less about what it has to offer, and more about who it has to offer.

I don't get drawn to the 360 because I wish I could play Halo 3, Gears of War, or any of the 360 exclusives. I get drawn to it because I could sign on to XBox Live tomorrow and have at least 30 people on my friends list within a few days. Everyone where I live has 360s, including family members. On PSN, I currently have three on my friends list, and have yet to play them in anything.

But this isn't about me. It's about everyone, and I believe the rationale I just listed is playing into the buying decisions of plenty of other people. I'm increasingly convinced that the reason the 360 is so far ahead is primarily because of its one year head start on the PS3.

The guys I hang around down here are all threatening to pick up a PS3 now that it's priced affordably, and the number one reason that keeps coming up is Blu-ray. The other things that drew them were all the movies that I've played for them from my hard drive, the slideshows and music I keep playing when guests are over, and games like LittleBigPlanet and MLB: The Show. LBP single-handedly convinced one friend of mine to buy a PS3.

This isn't about me trying to justify buying yet another 360. It's about me not being sure that the future of PSN online activity won't be comparable to that of Live's now that pricing can't be thrown out as a reason for not wanting a PS3.

I think I'm rambling a bit.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Aug 20, 2009 at 03:19 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 03:14 PM

If you think (on average) there's no substantive difference in the quality, innovation, and effort that goes into the second or third version of a game versus the seventh or eighth, sure.
It depends. Mario 64 (something like the 10th game in the series) was much more innovative than Super Mario Bros. 2, and ditto for Ocarina of Time. Same for the later Final Fantasies, actually. The series didn't really hit its stride until the fourth game, and the best are generally agreed to be 6, 7 and 10.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:15 PM

Sounds like the problem isn't the cost of buying it then. You're just worried it will be redundant.

Edit: That's for Jawbone.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:17 PM

It depends. Mario 64 (something like the 10th game in the series) was much more innovative than Super Mario Bros. 2, and ditto for Ocarina of Time. Same for the later Final Fantasies, actually. The series didn't really hit its stride until the fourth game, and the best are generally agreed to be 6, 7 and 10.
I knew someone would bring up Nintendo. Nintendo's series have about zero in common with most other franchises. Rarely do you see more than one iteration of their franchise each console generation.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 03:23 PM

Sounds like the problem isn't the cost of buying it then. You're just worried it will be redundant.
Precisely.

Same for the later Final Fantasies, actually. The series didn't really hit its stride until the fourth game, and the best are generally agreed to be 6, 7 and 10.
Speaking of FF, I wonder if VIII and IX will be released on PSN as well. I'm thinking about downloading VII for the holiday season...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 03:25 PM

You do know that WaW is a different developer, right? Its a **** sequel, yeah, but MW2, by Infinity Ward is the developer's sequel. Looks damn good and, not so coincidentally, has been under development for two years.

There's a ton of grey area... but to sum up what I'm trying to say, I think the difference and improvement between an original IP and its first or second sequel will be much more substantive than the difference between number six through number ten of that IP (Generically speaking).

Edit: I was just ragging on Madden 10 the other day because QB vision has disappeared. Of course sports games are the guiltiest of unnecessary sequels (Not to start beating that dead horse again).
Yes I know Treyarch did World of War, but They used Infinity Wards engine. Modified CoD4 Engine They did not create a from scratch engine for that game this time.

P.S. I HATED that QB vision in Madden, I haven't touched it since then. Glad its gone, I might actually try it again now.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Aug 20, 2009 at 03:32 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Speaking of FF, I wonder if VIII and IX will be released on PSN as well. I'm thinking about downloading VII for the holiday season...
Good question. I know Capcom said they are bring pretty much their entire library over. Not sure about Square. I just got FFVII and the first Resident Evil. I never did finish FFVII, I had it on Windows and my drive went south soon as I got near the end.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:35 PM

Precisely.
Then why the hell are you doing break downs about the cost?!

Yes I know Treyarch did World of War, but They used Infinity Wards engine. Modified CoD4 Engine They did not create a from scratch engine for that game this time.
I understand. Its utter garbage. Its recycled crap. It everything that jokell was talking about. I just think its worth noting that MW's developer is doing a sequel and it looks very good.

P.S. I HATED that QB vision in Madden, I haven't touched it since then. Glad its gone, I might actually try it again now. LOL
But it was $60 worth of innovation! Totally made whatever **** year that came out worth every penny rather than an overglorified overpriced roster update! Someone gag me!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 03:44 PM

The real problem with Kotick's philosophy isn't so much the idea that sequels are good — like I said, some of the best games of all time were third, fourth, even sixth entries in a series. The problem is that he seems to be implying that sequels are preferable. People do like sequels, but only because they liked the original game. Kotick seems to brush aside the fact that you need good, fresh content in order for the sequels to have any value at all.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:46 PM

The real problem with Kotick's philosophy isn't so much the idea that sequels are good — like I said, some of the best games of all time were third, fourth, even sixth entries in a series. The problem is that he seems to be implying that sequels are preferable. People do like sequels, but only because they liked the original game. Kotick seems to brush aside the fact that you need good, fresh content in order for the sequels to have any value at all.
My read would be that he's justifying the fact that his company is a franchise milking, horse-beating sequel factory. In essence: "We're giving gamers what they want."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 03:52 PM

Then why the hell are you doing break downs about the cost?!
To convince OTHER people to buy a PS3.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:53 PM

You're full of ****.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 03:58 PM

And I predict you'll be full of PS3 adoration within a year.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 04:01 PM

Adoration is a strong word.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 04:10 PM

Know what else is strong? The PS3 exclusive lineup.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 04:11 PM

Please, don't make me spit on my keyboard.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 04:36 PM

That's better than what you usually do on your keyboard.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 04:37 PM

My read would be that he's justifying the fact that his company is a franchise milking, horse-beating sequel factory. In essence: "We're giving gamers what they want."
That's exactly what I was reading.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 04:39 PM

That's better than what you usually do on your keyboard.
Post on the MacNN forums?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 04:48 PM

Post on the MacNN forums?
Of course.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 05:05 PM

Well, hasn't this been a lively page of the thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 05:35 PM

In all fairness, the rather boring WaW game spawned an incredibly unique and amazing side-game, Nazi Zombies. I liken it to Portal on the Orange Box...not the main game but the main draw.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2009, 01:45 PM

Elite 360 going $299 for sure now. Spotted in Wal-Mart's upcoming catalog.

The only thing I'm wondering is if the 360 will have any sort of redesign at all. The original XBox never did, so I can see this being the only one we see, but it would be nice to have a quieter system with built-in WiFi.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2009, 02:17 PM

Wow, $300? I wonder if the arcade version will drop below $200?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Wow, $300? I wonder if the arcade version will drop below $200?
It already is.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2009, 10:13 PM

I do question not offering a white xbox at the higher price-point, but whatever. A redesign is possible when Natal hits, but considering the 360 will be 5 years old next holiday season, I can see them launching a new console instead.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2009, 03:37 AM

I doubt we can expect a new console from Microsoft that soon. Considering they're the masters of pre-announcing, a system launch with less than a year's warning seems downright unthinkable.
Chuck
___

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2009, 04:45 PM

Hmm, perhaps. But 5 years is getting up there in console-years, so I'd at least expect something in the next year or two.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 11:26 AM

In other XBox 360 price-drop-portending news, woot is selling (via sellout.woot/Yahoo! shopping) the 60-GB Pro model for $230 today.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 11:35 AM

How well do the media capabilities of the PS3 work with Mac/iTunes? I have a ton of music (AAC - no DRM) and ripped shows/movies on the Mac, but the marketing material seems to only really talk about WMP.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
How well do the media capabilities of the PS3 work with Mac/iTunes? I have a ton of music (AAC - no DRM) and ripped shows/movies on the Mac, but the marketing material seems to only really talk about WMP.
AFAIK, it does support AAC, MPEG4, and H.264. To stream from the Mac, you need software to talk to the PS3 via UPnP. I haven't tried it, but MediaLink seems to be popular.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 12:26 PM

Vuze streams to PS3s (and XBoxen) for free, but you have to manually add stuff to it; it won't just automatically find and share your iTunes/iPhoto libraries (as I believe MediaLink will). It does automatically transcode stuff that's not in a PS3-ready format though. Also: if you use it as a BitTorrent client, you can add unfinished downloads to its media-server list and it'll make them available to your PS3/XBox once they're done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2009, 01:47 PM

This isn't about me trying to justify buying yet another 360. It's about me not being sure that the future of PSN online activity won't be comparable to that of Live's now that pricing can't be thrown out as a reason for not wanting a PS3.
There's one giant flaw in your reasoning. Even if most of the 360 users here pick up a PS3, we'll still buy the xbox versions of any multiplatform titles, leaving you with the same PSN friends list you have now.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2009, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
There's one giant flaw in your reasoning. Even if most of the 360 users here pick up a PS3, we'll still buy the xbox versions of any multiplatform titles, leaving you with the same PSN friends list you have now.
Oh so true! Couldn't agree more!

Forum Links
Forum Rules