Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New boat.

New boat. (Page 5)
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2010, 09:46 AM

RE is right about the carpet-I've seen "bumpy-back" carpet glued down, which is why I mentioned gluing the bumps, but looking back it was on a patio by a pool, not a boat. Use the aluminum strip things to hold it down at the edges and it'll be fine.

And can I remind everyone that these threads are for discussion, not preaching/lecturing/haranguing? Rob has a cool boat to show off, and it's his to rebuild in his way. Maybe he'll be 100% right about everything (like the paint and engine rebuild, in my opinion). Maybe he'll have a problem with something and that may come back to bite him. Only time will tell, and I'm looking forward to his "1 year anniversary of putting the boat into the water" thread, where he tells us how everything has gone once he got it running and sailing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jul 24, 2010, 01:28 PM

Let's get the thread back on track, please. Rob you got a bit carried away but others no need to dogpile. Moving on.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks. Now if anybody has any ideas on how to secure the gas tanks, let me know. Here's an X-section. I am not a boat expert, and I am looking for ideas on how to secure the gas tanks. They are located OUTSIDE of the tunnels, and they are sitting on solid FG.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2010, 02:29 PM

nm,

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 02:44 PM

do you want the tanks to come out to fill or are they too heavy to do that? i didn't go back and look at photos of them

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 02:46 PM

and while i'm going back to look; are the seats and bench going to be raised? they don't sit on the deck like that do they? hahaha.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 02:48 PM

if you have tie down points (or you can install them); just use two of these per tank? one may not be secure enough.

so a tie down point in the floor. 4 of them per gas tank. each tie down point near the corners. cross the above ratchet straps creating "X" over the tank. they won't go anywhere. can come out if needed.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 03:05 PM

The front seats mount straight to the floor. The rear bench is going to have a small box under it to raise it about 3". It's a very LOW boat.... you basically sit on a pad on the floor.

I thought about using tie downs; the issue is what to hook them too. It's just flat FG. I suppose I could glass in some hooks, but... not sure how well it would work. Thanks for the input though! If you have any other ideas let me know. I was thinking of buying a large sheet of velcro, and using adhesive to just velcro the tanks in. I don't think they'd go anywhere...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2010, 03:09 PM

Velcro comes loose after a while, especially in warm weather as the adhesive backing softens up (and fibreglass in the sun gets nice and toasty).

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of getting flat out velcro sheets, then using an industrial adhesive, like

The tanks are highly visible, right next to the engine... so whatever I do I want it to look fairly clean and trim.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The front seats mount straight to the floor. The rear bench is going to have a small box under it to raise it about 3". It's a very LOW boat.... you basically sit on a pad on the floor.

I thought about using tie downs; the issue is what to hook them too. It's just flat FG. I suppose I could glass in some hooks, but... not sure how well it would work. Thanks for the input though! If you have any other ideas let me know. I was thinking of buying a large sheet of velcro, and using adhesive to just velcro the tanks in. I don't think they'd go anywhere...
yikes; i couldn't sit int he captain or passenger then (not that it matters for me, hahahaha).

couldn't the tie down hooks be mounted though, through the fiberglass and right into the wood base or does that section have no wood under the glass? couple lag bolts or similar for the hooks right into wood (if there is wood under the glass that is).

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 03:49 PM

are the tanks metal or plastic? (don't remember if you said and again; too lazy to go back and read )

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 04:00 PM

Anything not labeled wood is solid FG.

Tanks are welded aluminum.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 04:03 PM

Anything not labeled wood is solid FG.
right...i got that. but not knowing if the wood went all the way to the engine compartment or not. so the hooks/straps would be my idea.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 04:34 PM

I know, but the tanks sit on solid FG. There is no wood under them, or to the side of them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2010, 06:09 PM

Can you post a picture of the tanks? They may have some sort of feature that triggers one of those "ah ha!" moments and that could help find a good solution.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 24, 2010, 06:32 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2010, 10:08 AM

OK, I remember now. No fittings or anything on the outside for fastening them down (you said they'd been glassed in), so that possibility seems to be down the tubes...

Have you refinished the outsides of 'em yet? Maybe you could get a bracket welded on at some point or other so they could be fastened to something...maybe across the front of the engine compartment? Just a thought.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 28, 2010, 12:02 AM

So almost done filling that crack. What a PITA, it's so time consuming since the layers are so thin. Finally ready to sand, and then fill with gelcoat. Never done that before, so it'll be a learning experience.

Scuffed everything with a stainless brush and acetone. Sprayed with black engine paint. Looks much better than orangey crap.

Built a riser for the rear seat. Also going to double as a storage compartment. The only problem is....

I think it's too high. Going to take it apart and cut it in half, then reassemble at about 1.5" high. When you viewed it from the side...

See how it sticks up? Looks bad. MOAR LOW! Then I'll wrap it in red vinyl with more stainless staples.

Took the timing chain cover off today. WOOHOO! Turns out this "rebuilt" engine has a gear drive! HELL YEAH!

new vs old. Secured it with stainless allen bolts. Looks fantastic.

Loosened the pan a bit, pried it down to insert the seal. Sexy gear drive...

Hey look it's starting to look like an engine!

Also ordered wire and a bunch of other stuff for the boat today.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2010, 06:35 AM

Attempting to get back on topic...

I have a couple questions about that carb you have on the engine. Is it all open at the top? How will you keep spray (hey, you expect to go fast with the boat, right?) out of the intake?

Front cover on that mill looks great. I like the "shiny polished next to shiny black" look.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2010, 05:38 PM

All right. The better part of a page consisting mostly of a lovely mixture of derailing, mudslinging, and (sadly) banter is gone.

Can we try to stay on topic for a whole page, perhaps? It should be clear by now that the OP doesn’t consider this thread one for off-topic banter, so could we all just respect that and keep the off-topic bantering to threads where it hasn’t been made clear that it bothers the OP (there should be plenty)?
( Last edited by Oisín; Jul 28, 2010 at 06:11 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2010, 05:59 PM

Sad.

Shame on you for deleting it.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 28, 2010, 07:41 PM

Not really. If I pulled anything NEAR that I'd be banned.

andi*pandi
Jul 28, 2010, 08:52 PM

Topic: how much storage is that riser really going to have? especially once you cut it down.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 28, 2010, 08:55 PM

Answer: Enough to hold the registration papers, cell phones, digital cameras, and other things that are small and afraid of water.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2010, 09:30 PM

I know a lot went down in this thread today but I've looked at all the pics and read a little bit and I am very impressed. Well done! Can't wait to see the final product.... and born-again maiden voyage pics.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2010, 09:32 PM

I feel that this boat needs a classic Alfa Romeo to go with it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2010, 10:24 PM

imitchell, you sound like Jeremy.

Rob, I assume the engine is going to stick up (so you can show it off). How much will show when you put the engine compartment cover on?

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 28, 2010, 11:10 PM

Engine cover?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2010, 06:03 AM

Lookin' good, Rob.

So almost done filling that crack.
I thought she forgave you?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2010, 06:51 AM

Built a riser for the rear seat. Also going to double as a storage compartment. The only problem is....
I know you keep saying that your boat isn't going to get wet, but…

That looks like completely ordinary wood.

Storage compartment? For mouldy registration papers? I hope you'll be keeping whatever you put in there in an extra waterproof bag.

FWIW, our harbor ferries here get good splashes on the upper deck (about ten feet above water level), and they have a speed limit of 11 knots. Of course, they displace rather more water, but still…

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2010, 06:58 AM

Engine cover?
Well, there's that hood.

The other model you showed back on page 1 (yellow/brown) had an engine cowling.

Was that an option or is it something that just got lost on yours and you won't be replacing? (You'll be storing the boat indoors, minimizing exposure to the elements, right?)

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 29, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I know you keep saying that your boat isn't going to get wet, but…

That looks like completely ordinary wood.
'tis. Which will be covered in 2 coats of weatherproof wood sealant. Thompson's, I believe. Going to do that tonight.

Storage compartment? For mouldy registration papers? I hope you'll be keeping whatever you put in there in an extra waterproof bag.
Plastic rubbermaid containers.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Jul 29, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Well, there's that hood.

The other model you showed back on page 1 (yellow/brown) had an engine cowling.
Yeah but I have that huge scoop. As well as those headers, which will be going over the transom.

Was that an option or is it something that just got lost on yours and you won't be replacing? (You'll be storing the boat indoors, minimizing exposure to the elements, right?)
No idea, it was probably standard, but mine's long gone, and good luck finding a replacement. The boat will have a weatherproof cover on it during the week... and over the winter it will be indoors.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2010, 08:06 PM

Yeah but I have that huge scoop. As well as those headers, which will be going over the transom.
You haven't posted anything about the scoop, or how the headers will be interacting with it, so I asked.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2010, 01:10 AM

Test fit the Stellings headers. They fit PERRRRFEEECCCCT. It was obviously meant to be. I got them for a song, and they are going to be amazing on this boat. I am trying to figure out how to hook them up to the thermostat housing, I haven't figured that out yet, if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Carpet adhesive.

Carpet glued down.

Sanding down the transom, after putting on some gelcoat. Going to need a few more layers I think.

Closer. I discovered that taping wax paper over the gelcoat really helps it cure nice and flat.

More gelcoat repair. This was prior to sanding. If this thing had a rub strip it'd be SO much easier to repair. Sanding a rounded corner without burning through is a complete PITA.

I really wanted to get the back embroidered, but there is always next year.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2010, 01:11 AM

Closer....

Special thanks to Too Stroked! It worked awesome! Had to fill in the hole with a chunk of wood secured from the back side, then used a huge hole saw to enlarge the whole from 3.25" to 3.5".

Test fitting the gauges before pulling them back out, need to buff the whole boat! Before I do that, I need to finish the gelcoat repair.

Steering wheel is refinished!

This is the thermostat housing I currently have. I'm guessing I need something else to run the stellings headers. What am I looking for?

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 27, 2010, 09:12 PM

Long time no update, here goes:

Got the wiring almost done. Still need to apparently put a fuse block in or circuit breakers for the accessories (lights, bilge, fuel selector solonoid), and I think west marine sent me the wrong steering cable. DAMMIT. I got the stainless steel thermostat housing today, it's gorgeous. THANK you to whomever suggested it, now the problem is rerouting the hoses to make it work. Also, still need an alternator bracket, badly. Here's some pictures of the progress:

Removed windshield to buff the boat.

Repairing the nose by building up gelcoat

Buffing the dash after removing everything.

Polishing dash...

[IMG] [/IMG]
Buffing boat...

Mod-v represent!!!!!

End result! Not a mirror finish, but definitely pretty deep, and shiny! Still need to tape everything, I purchased black tape with metallic sparkle for it!

This is the type of wiring I found when I unwrapped the harness. YIKES.

After sanding with 220.

After sanding down to 800, then buffing with aggressive compound. Sick of working on aesthetics, just want to get it wet this year so I'm done dealing with this. It's good enough, for now.

Good from far.....

Overall, happy with the transom repairs....

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 02:14 AM

Have ya busted out another thousand yet?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2010, 10:21 AM

Overall, happy with the transom repairs....
I've seen demo boats rolling off the lot at Bass Pro Shops with transoms that looked a lot worse. If it's not leaking, get that boat wet!

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 28, 2010, 01:57 PM

Tearing apart the stern drive today. Need a freakin gimbal bearing puller. Hrm...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 02:48 PM

Coming along really nicely. Good job, Rob

-t

Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2010, 02:21 AM

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2010, 07:01 AM

That boat's looking great, Rob. Awesome exhaust

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

andi*pandi
Aug 29, 2010, 07:48 PM

Looking sharp. Bet the sparkly tape will make it seem faster.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 29, 2010, 11:24 PM

Rented a slide hammer from autozone, with all attachments. Pulled the gimbal out in 10 minutes. Then put the new one in the freezer to help shrink it a tiny bit, and cut up a 2x4 with a jig saw so it had a cutout in the middle. This was to avoid putting any pressure on the bearing itself, and it would only contact the heavy duty outer edge of the bearing. Used a BFH and installed it in 5 minutes or so. Spent a lot of today detailing, and getting ready to drop off at a shop tomorrow to have the engine aligned with the stern drive. After that is done, more things can start being bolted on.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 30, 2010, 12:26 AM

[IMG] [/IMG]

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2010, 05:51 PM

I was looking forward to seeing the finished product. Oh well..

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 31, 2010, 07:45 PM

Cost/benefit analysis dude.

sleek68
Baninated
Jun 15, 2011, 05:11 PM

Update: DONE!

95 S6 Avant tow vehicle. Turbo, Quattro, 5spd. Worked awesome!

Ceremony

Forum Links
Forum Rules