Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mounting broken raid mirror in new system?

Mounting broken raid mirror in new system?
kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2006, 04:28 PM

I have an old G4 powermac which I'm selling soon, and untill last week it's storage consisted of a single SCSI drive for the OS, and two 160GB IDE drives mirrored in RAID 1 (handled by the os). Since it's a fairly old computer, I have installed Intech's driver to allow the OS to actually use the 160GB drives (instead of just 128GB).

The SCSI drive was actually a fairly new fast model, and I decided I'd sell it separately from the rest of the system as it was probably worth as much as the rest alltogeather..

So I backed up all the data to an external disk, sold the SCSI drive, broke the mirror and installed OSX onto one of the 160GB drives. After install I also put the Intech driver allowing to use large disks, and expected to be able to use the other drive to it's full extent.

Problem is, I can't access it, and it does not appear under /Volumes. When I boot up the computer, I also get a message saying OSX does'nt understand what the disk is, and asks if I want to format it. Now I could format it and copy the stuff back from my backup, but since I'm a sys admin (who does'nt know much about macs) I would rather solve the problem. Disk Utility says the disk is a raid volume, but the "more info" does mention the right normal filesystem... One strange thing is, that now I can see three disks under Disk Utility (one of which is the missing half of the mirror).

I'm used to doing raid with hardware cards, and don't quite get the logic of how OsX takes care of it. Aparently all the info to do with the raid configuration is stored on the disk itself, as it still has it. Still the disk has a normal filesystem so with all logic I should be able to just mount it manually (if there is no way to do it with a tool?).

Problem is I don't even know where I could find the disk to try mounting (as in "mount /dev/yadda yadda /folder")

Sorry for the rambling, any help would be appreciated.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hmm, deafening silence. Tried posting in the Peripherals or Power Mac & Mac Pro forums yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules