Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Optimizing OS 9

Optimizing OS 9
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 07:43 PM

I have a friend who is still running OS 9 on one of his machines and complains that it's getting slower and slower. I told him I'd take a look at it, but my expertise is in OS X. Any tips on how to make OS 9 more snappy�?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 08:25 PM

Best optimization for OS 9 that I've found is installing OS X.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 08:31 PM

You could defrag the drive (which is done automatically in OS X btw), remove unused extensions, make sure there's enough free HD space...that's all I've got right now, the OS 9 days were a long time ago!

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 09:16 PM

Clear out pref files, DiskWarrior, take out the unused extensions, disable unused features when possible, check energysaver to make sure that's correctly set for CPU cycles, run a virusscan (666/Sevendust can cause that slowdown, check the extensions folder for an extension named 666).
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

philc
Feb 17, 2005, 11:11 PM

Remove any unused fonts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2005, 03:58 AM

I definitely saw an improvement after defragging my 8600, the first and only time I did it in the seven years it was my primary Mac. Clean installs of the OS also make things run more smoothly. Disable unnecessary extensions. Oh, and if you can afford it, get at least 256MBs of RAM (or more, depending on the number of large apps he runs) and turn off Virtual Memory. After I upgraded to my DP 2.0 and moved my 8600 to a secondary location, I installed 128MBs of RAM I had purchased for it. After installing it and turning off Virtual Memory, my 8600 appeared to run much faster.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 06:06 AM

What Big Mac said. Except for the Virtual Memory thing, that's highly questionable now....back in System 7 days it was great to be able to do that (in fact, necessary). In System 8, not so much. Supposedly in MacOS 9, turning off VM was a drag on performance. OS 9 didn't use RAM very well, if you had 512mb or 768mb and weren't using it for Photoshop etc, all you could do was allocate 50mb of RAM to Simpletext etc ;-D

Agreed with the clean install thing, it's nice to get a fresh start with any OS. Not even very difficult with OS 9 to do either.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2005, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
turn off Virtual Memory.
I thought the general consensus was that turning on VM to give you 1 MB more than you would normally have is the best approach, because then it will use VM to load libraries (both saving memory and speeding things up) but won't do a lot of crappy swapping.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules