Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Miitomo 1.1.0 (iOS)

Hands On: Miitomo 1.1.0 (iOS)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 31, 2016, 04:33 PM

For years now, everyone has been waiting to see if and when Nintendo would truly throw their hat into the ring and release an official mobile app. This happened a few weeks ago when they launched Miitomo in Japan Android and iOS App Stores, and we're glad to say that they finally launched Miitomo in the US App Store as well, and we're here to give you an in-depth look at it.

Miitomo isn't a game in the traditional Mario sense, but more like another social platform to interact with your friends. There's a few game-like things inside of it, you've got the option to play a pachinko-like game to win prizes, but largely, no, the game is designed to give you a new and interesting way to hang out with friends. In fact, Miitomo isn't terribly dissimilar from IMVU, another social platform that some people may be familiar with, though Nintendo's offering is somewhat more on the lighter side.

So if Miitomo isn't a game, then why bother having it? Well, for the same reason you have Twitter or Facebook or any other social media profile. There's some honest-to-goodness fun to be found in Miitomo if you're willing to relax your standards of what you're being presented with. It's not WiiSports or WiiPlay like many people had been hoping, but we still enjoyed our time with it. We're also willing to bet that Miitomo is going to wind up being the link between all future mobile Nintendo titles, especially because the game has such a heavy focus on building friends lists right off the bat.

What do you do in Miitomo? Right now, you primarily answer questions about yourself such as "what is your favorite food?" or "what did you do last weekend?" and read the answers that your friends have posted. Answering questions rewards you with coins, a currency that is used to buy new clothes for your Mii, which in turn will increase your style meter. Increasing your style meter often rewards you with either more coins or tickets, and tickets are used to play the pachinko-style game that gives you a chance to win more clothes and items, and so on and so forth.

But if that's all there is to Miitomo, is it worth it? It depends on the type of person you are. We genuinely like Miitomo and the sort of guided interaction it gives among friends. It's cute, it's fun, and if you're looking to snag it, it's finally available in the US App Store for the iPhone and the iPad for free.

Who Miitomo is catered toward:
While this game is likely going to be the link for all future Nintendo apps, we think that it's also just a neat app for anyone who wants a stress-free, casual way to interact with friends.

Who Miitomo may not please:
A lot of folks are likely to think that this is just a glorified version of Facebook or Twitter with a dollmaker attached to it, and they're right, because it is -- at least right now. Opponents to a Nintendo-driven social network may not want to snag this app just yet.

-Amber Neely (@SurferAmber)

Readers: do you have an app or product that you'd like to see us review? Developers and designers: do you want us to take a look at your app or product? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.

mandybrigwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2016, 05:25 PM

What is this 'we' that you lot keep using? We this, we that? Won't anyone own up to a personal opinion? Is it a house writing style or something?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 31, 2016, 05:32 PM

Some pieces are we, some are I. It depends.

Plus, Amber's name is on the piece, so I think she's pretty well claimed ownership of her opinion on the app.

Amber Neely
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2016, 02:28 AM

Just because I finally noticed this (fairly late, naturally) but I've had people commenting on this for a while.

Any article that has my name on it? Totally my personal thoughts and opinions. House style dictates that reviews/hands on stuff is "we" though. My editorials are all "I" for the most part.

And in specific response to Mandy: I'll own up to anything I post on this site. As Mike said, my byline is on the review, it's not like anyone isn't free to find me on twitter and banter with me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules