Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Phone Home?

Tiger Phone Home?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 01:17 PM

From Macfixit.com
"dmnotifyd" apparently sending Apple user information Several users have reported that an application called "dnotifyd" is sending system information back to Apple.

Jim Czech writes:

"Since my upgrade last night to Tiger, I have noticed something going on in the background. This was never observed in the past, but thanks to Little Snitch I 'caught' this one.

"This particular app is attempting to contact 'configuration.apple.com' every few minutes. I don't have a packet sniffer, but am curious just exactly why Apple needs to 'check my configuration' every few minutes.

"After the upgrade, I started testing all my apps, one by one, to see if there were any compatibility issues making the move from 10.3.9 to Tiger. When I applied the Little Snitch update, I then noticed this "dmnotifyd" app was phoning home. I thought it was possibly related to running each app and then Apple was gathering stats for compatibility, etc.

"However, even with no applications running, 'dmnotifyd' is still contacting Apple.

"I have allowed several requests (since I have nothing to hide) thinking it would stop. It doesn't matter whether the request to send is allowed or denied, it runs non-stop."
Does anybody have any more information on this?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

Hm, I don't recall this coming up. But maybe, I missed it, because I did archieve install over 10.3, so Little Snitch got deactivated. I manually re-installed it, and never had anything like this coming up...

-t

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:27 PM

Well I know in System Profile you can now send your information to Apple for troubleshooting purposes. Fortunately, I don't have that process in the background running so I can't say what it is.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

piracy
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
From Macfixit.com
Does anybody have any more information on this?
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DMNotification.framework/Versions/A/Resources/dmnotifyd handles .Mac Notifications (notify.mac.com).

Thus the name, dmnotifyd = dot Mac notify daemon

And it's not trying to send information TO configuration.apple.com; it's trying to get information FROM it for the .Mac Notification parameters for the client:

http://configuration.apple.com/confi...0.plist.signed

configuration.apple.com is a repository for this type of dynamic configuration information.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 01:34 PM

Stop being so paranoid, pay for your copy.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:39 PM

Insteresting, he prob has iDisk sync on and didn't think about that either.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by piracy
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DMNotification.framework/Versions/A/Resources/dmnotifyd handles .Mac Notifications (notify.mac.com).

And it's not trying to send information TO configuration.apple.com; it's trying to get information FROM it for the .Mac Notification parameters for the client:

configuration.apple.com is a repository for this type of dynamic configuration information.
Impressive detective work (assuming you found all this out yourself). . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 02:19 PM

E.T. phones home...he misses it.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ashtoash
Stop being so paranoid, pay for your copy.
So one should assume that every person paranoid about Tiger phoning home with information never authorized by the user has pirated it? I doubt that most users (fewer know about Little Snitch to begin with) know what dmnotifyd does, as they could care less about the UNIX aspect of the OS. If this were Microsoft all of you anti-piracy fanboys would be in an uproar over privacy issues.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
So one should assume that every person paranoid about Tiger phoning home with information never authorized by the user has pirated it? I doubt that most users (fewer know about Little Snitch to begin with) know what dmnotifyd does, as they could care less about the UNIX aspect of the OS. If this were Microsoft all of you anti-piracy fanboys would be in an uproar over privacy issues.
The thing is: Tiger isn't phoning home. Information is being received, not sent.

Another thing is: when people are worried about phone-home apps from companies they trust, it's usually because they pirated.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Impressive detective work (assuming you found all this out yourself). . .
I don't think it's detective work... many of us suspect that a particular person who hangs out and answers questions in a no-nonsense fashion could possibly work for a certain computer company, though they'll never admit it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Another thing is: when people are worried about phone-home apps from companies they trust, it's usually because they pirated.
Or maybe it's because they're worried that the company is heading in a direction where they'll no longer be trustworthy.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 07:20 PM

Some people don't like their bandwidth or CPU processes being wasted doing things without permission. I don't have .Mac so why would I want my CPU to check the server?

No, I don't have Tiger and I wouldn't steal it. That's what MP3s are for.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Or maybe it's because they're worried that the company is heading in a direction where they'll no longer be trustworthy.

Vigilance is a Good Thing� - so long as it doesn't drift into paranoia.

I'll refrain from a political comment at this point.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by piracy

Thank goodness. My girlfriend just ripped me a new one because I used up all the tin foil wrapping my computer to shield it from the EVIL Apple.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 02:50 AM

I don't think paranoia is a reflection of theft. Some people are just paraniod (that's... TWO noids). I don't like the idea of my info just being transmitted randomly to anyone Apple or otherwise (and my copies legit, btw). True this is recieving, but still.

Remember... Paranoia: You only have to be right once to make it all worth while.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2006, 01:38 AM

It has got to do with idisk syncing services. If you allow the change, idisk then shows up on your desktop. I get a bit paranoid too after years of using Windows...
My Blog-pakos.me

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by larrinski
It has got to do with idisk syncing services. If you allow the change, idisk then shows up on your desktop. I get a bit paranoid too after years of using Windows...
Thanks for DRAGGING OUT AN OLD THREAD!

Forum Links
Forum Rules