Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > (Request) Prayers/Thoughts for My 3-Month-Old.

(Request) Prayers/Thoughts for My 3-Month-Old.
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2015, 05:50 PM

For my religious 'NN friends, I'd appreciate some prayers for my 3-month-old son.
For my non-religious and areligious 'NN friends, I know you guys will be hoping for the best, and I thank you for it.

My 3-month-old son, River, caught the RSV virus, which affected his respiratory system and led to pneumonia, which landed us in the hospital a few days ago. He took a bit of a turn for the worse last night, and his oxygen levels plummeted.

Until an hour ago, we've had nothing but bad news since last Thursday. Apparently, RSV's effects on infants are at their worst on the sixth day, which would be today, so that could explain the problems we had beginning last night. Now we're needing his oxygen levels to stabilize, and for the pneumonia to pass. If he gets any worse, they might have to put him on a ventilator.

I appreciate whatever thoughts and prayers you guys can send our way.

Thanks in advance,
Jawbone

( Last edited by Jawbone54; Feb 25, 2015 at 06:03 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2015, 06:02 PM

Of course I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive and don't let it wear you down.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2015, 06:22 PM

Hard to imagine much worse then seeing your little guy in distress. Hang in there, we'll all be wishing you guys the best.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2015, 06:55 PM

Saint Blaise, Pray for River!
45/47

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2015, 06:55 PM

Terrible news. Wishing your family the very best.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 25, 2015, 08:11 PM

I've got my own chronically ill child, so I don't pray anymore - God and I don't really talk.

I WILL be thinking of you and yours, however. This isn't an easy road.

OreoCookie
Feb 25, 2015, 08:16 PM

That hit me in the gut. I wish you guys all the best, Jawbone.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2015, 09:57 PM

My thoughts AND prayers are with you and your family Jawbone. Stay strong.

OAW

andi*pandi
Feb 25, 2015, 11:25 PM

My heart, and thoughts, go to you and your wife. Wishing the little one a swift recovery.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2015, 10:18 AM

My prayers, thoughts, and hope are being sent to you and your dear child, and will continue until recovery.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2015, 11:20 AM

Speedy recovery for your little one! Wishing you all the best,

Powerbook
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2015, 02:36 PM

Sending all the positive vibs possible from France.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2015, 02:40 PM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2015, 04:16 PM

My best wishes to you also.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Feb 26, 2015, 04:19 PM

How did the night go? Any progress?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
How did the night go? Any progress?
Thanks, everyone.

He finally had a good stretch late last night, and he seems to be (very) slowly improving since. We're not out of the woods yet, but as they gradually wean him off the oxygen, he needs to show he is ready to handle it on his own again. His right lung still isn't sounding great, but the doctor believes he's progressing at the pace he expected.

We've been in the hospital since Monday, but it wasn't until Tuesday night that the staff gave us any indication that things were getting worse, prompting this thread.

Here's the aggravating part: the doctor was wondering why our timeline was off — he said that the baby should have gotten worse Monday night instead of Tuesday. We had visited our pediatrician Thursday, then Sunday with these new symptoms. He's "95% certain" that he got the virus from our ped's office.

In other words, we went for acid reflux, then left with RSV, which progressed to pneumonia.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
I've got my own chronically ill child, so I don't pray anymore - God and I don't really talk.
I'm really, really sorry to hear that. Hearing a parent going through something like that always breaks my heart. If you don't want to talk to God about it, you can always PM this stranger on the Internet. The offer's always open.

Our family dealt with our own situation about 16 years ago. I didn't talk to God for a while after that. That history is part of what caused such fear in me this week.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2015, 01:00 AM

I'm glad to hear your son is slowly getting better. Hoping the worst of it is over.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2015, 08:31 AM

Kharma is a powerful tool of God. I don't stop believing. Just when you start to doubt things....something happens.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Here's the aggravating part: the doctor was wondering why our timeline was off — he said that the baby should have gotten worse Monday night instead of Tuesday. We had visited our pediatrician Thursday, then Sunday with these new symptoms. He's "95% certain" that he got the virus from our ped's office.

In other words, we went for acid reflux, then left with RSV, which progressed to pneumonia.
Very weird to me that a doctor would make these sort of speculative statements. I mean, yeah, it could have been the pediatrician....it could also have been literally any other close contact with human beings made within a two or three-day period. To say "the timeline is off" by one day....I don't know, that's just a little too speculative for comfort to me.

However, very glad to hear the situation looks to be improving!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2015, 11:52 AM

glad to hear he's doing better!

timelines are not always 100% precise.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2015, 03:04 PM

Haven't been here a lot in the last year or so, but I'm definitely hoping your child gets better soon! It's always tough when I hear about a small, helpless, child being in a life-threatening situation!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2015, 05:30 AM

Hope your little bloke feels better soon.

My own daughter was in ICU for six days with a flu when she was just two weeks old. I've been in some scary situations, but that was the worst - so powerless.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2015, 07:36 PM

Wishing and praying for the best.
Sadly, I have too many friends who have had their infants in the hospital recently. As a religious person, it really challenges one's faith and I wouldn't blame anyone for turning away.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Sadly, I have too many friends who have had their infants in the hospital recently. As a religious person, it really challenges one's faith and I wouldn't blame anyone for turning away.
I used to work in the operating theatres of a children's hospital. If there is a god, he sucks at his job.

I'm not the religious kind, yet I often find myself giving thanks for sublime moments in life. However, a million glorious sunsets don't compensate for one child dying.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2015, 07:18 AM

Do you need to have someone to thank in order to be thankful?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Mar 2, 2015, 11:56 AM

Do you have an update for us?

andi*pandi
Mar 2, 2015, 01:10 PM

Hope the weekend passed well, with you busy taking your boy home.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
However, a million glorious sunsets don't compensate for one child dying.
How very true.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2015, 05:50 PM

Hello, everyone. Thanks again so much for the well wishes. I greatly appreciate it!

Our little guy is home and recovering. As soon as they removed the tubes and wiring from him, he began grinning from ear to ear and acted like nothing was wrong (albeit still coughing like mad).

I found out just yesterday that at it's worst (Tuesday and Wednesday), these specific set of circumstances (age, RSV > pneumonia) had his chance of survival at 50%. It makes me even more grateful when holding him at home. The wife knew about the 50% number during the middle of the week, but neglected to tell me out of fear that my concern would bring down the overall mood. I'm actually very glad she didn't tell me.

Anyways, he'll be on breathing treatments and antibiotics for at least another week, but he's acting like a champ. The congestion has been breaking up for days, and he's passing most of it.

( Last edited by Jawbone54; Mar 2, 2015 at 06:01 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2015, 05:53 PM

Great news!

OAW

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Kharma is a powerful tool of God. I don't stop believing. Just when you start to doubt things....something happens.
Yeah, we had a lot of difficult conversations last week.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Very weird to me that a doctor would make these sort of speculative statements. I mean, yeah, it could have been the pediatrician....it could also have been literally any other close contact with human beings made within a two or three-day period. To say "the timeline is off" by one day....I don't know, that's just a little too speculative for comfort to me.
I do need to say that he was hesitant to say it. We actually put the idea forward, and he cringed a bit, then nodded and threw out the "95%" bit. Regardless, it's ultimately inconsequential.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
glad to hear he's doing better!

timelines are not always 100% precise.
Thank you! No doubt about that. Ultimately, I'm just glad he's home and improving.

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Haven't been here a lot in the last year or so, but I'm definitely hoping your child gets better soon! It's always tough when I hear about a small, helpless, child being in a life-threatening situation!
I've seen too many pass away. I used to work in an NICU, and eventually quit because of how heartbreaking it was. I actually lost a newborn nephew about 16 years ago — it took me years to get over.

Hope your little bloke feels better soon.

My own daughter was in ICU for six days with a flu when she was just two weeks old. I've been in some scary situations, but that was the worst - so powerless.
Yes, indeed. It's horrible sitting in that room while they suffer, with nothing we could do.

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Wishing and praying for the best.
I'm a student pastor, but I try to be as transparent as possible with my students concerning these challenges. There's no reason for me to act like faith is always easy, especially considering what some of them have been through. Luckily, most have come out of their troubles with a new perspective — I know all of this has made me much more grateful. We'd previously been consumed with how much sleep we were losing. Now it's not even mentioned. We're all smiles at home.

I used to work in the operating theatres of a children's hospital. If there is a god, he sucks at his job.
Those questions led me away from God for a number of years. I eventually came back, but I understand the perspective.

I'm not the religious kind, yet I often find myself giving thanks for sublime moments in life. However, a million glorious sunsets don't compensate for one child dying.
Beautifully said.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
In a strictly literal sense? Maybe. "Thankful" would probably be the wrong word without the involvement of another.

Thorzdad
Mar 2, 2015, 06:06 PM

Awwww. Look at that grin! He's a cutie!
Congrats on having your boy home.

andi*pandi
Mar 2, 2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
OMG that sweet face. I'm so glad he's on the mend. Tears of joy for you.

OreoCookie
Mar 2, 2015, 09:16 PM

I'm glad little Jawbone has kept his smile, I'm happy for you guys that he's out of the woods.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2015, 11:25 PM

After hearing some bad news from my sister earlier today (a classmate of hers passed away in her sleep) it is really a relief to hear some good news even if I don't know you personally.

Having worked as an EMT I've been exposed to pain and suffering before, but being a parent changes everything.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Why would thankfulness need an address? How about a generic shout out to the Universe (no fixed address. ).

That's a cheeky looking chappie you've got there Jawbone54.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2015, 05:49 AM

Really really good to hear that he's back at home with family getting better.

P
Mar 3, 2015, 06:22 AM

Glad to hear he's doing better, Jawbone.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2015, 08:23 AM

Good to hear things are going well. Don't sweat the doctor's pondering timelines - they like to have nice, pat explanations for when things don't fit "the book's" explanations....

And as you found out, doctors' offices (and worse, hospitals!) are not nice places to go. They're full of sick people, and often these sick people have no idea that they're contagious, let alone how to do basic hygiene to prevent spreading what they have. This time of year is "RSV season," as well as flu season. EVERYBODY should be washing their hands, covering their mouths, basically paying attention to the fact that there are bugs out there that can get anyone really, really sick.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2015, 10:08 AM

That is one happy mug!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2015, 12:16 PM

( Last edited by Chongo; Mar 3, 2015 at 04:27 PM. )
45/47

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2015, 03:17 PM

Thank you guys.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2015, 01:18 AM

Very glad to see him on the mend.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2015, 05:23 PM

I'm glad it all worked out, Jawbone.

Had a similar scare when my oldest, CRASH-SSD(now about to turn 4) was just a few months old, so I have an idea what you went through.

Such a little smiler!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2015, 12:13 AM

Glad to hear he's on the mend! Nothing upsets me more than a sick, helpless, little child!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I'm glad it all worked out, Jawbone.

Had a similar scare when my oldest, CRASH-SSD(now about to turn 4) was just a few months old, so I have an idea what you went through.

Such a little smiler!
Best nickname for a kid ever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules