Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMini noise

MacMini noise
patzoul
Jan 28, 2005, 07:26 AM

How much noise does a MacMini make? I am interested in one for my bedroom that I would only use for watching movies and playing music to my stereo. I would like to keep it on all the time.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by patzoul:
How much noise does a MacMini make? I am interested in one for my bedroom that I would only use for watching movies and playing music to my stereo. I would like to keep it on all the time.
From all the reports I have read - it appears to be fairly silent (even when playing DVDs) anyone that can confirm ?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 10:14 AM

And, of course, there's always putting it to sleep. You sleep, why shouldn't the mini? It wakes up a lot faster than people do!

Leaving notebook HDs on 24/7 is not considered a good idea, leading to higher failure rates. Since the HD in the mini has easier access for replacements, that's perhaps not as big a factor as it is in expensive repairs of notebooks, but there's always the hours and $ spent in putting in a new one.

nyarlaho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 01:19 AM

There are several treads, here and in other forums, talking about excessive noise in the Mac mini. These reports talk about the fan kicking in overdrive, making a loud noise. Some speculate that it's due to the 80 GB hard drives indexing themselves (not confirmed).

I've tried to get my 1.25 Ghz Mac mini to make the noise, but have not succeeded ONCE. I've made the computer play chess against itself, I've ripped CD after CD after CD, ran Quake 3 in high resolutions... nothing.

Maybe one day I will finally hear the fan go into overdrive (as happens with laptops sometimes); it's really rare I guess.

It's 'whisper' quiet.

ilvwhtgrls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 03:20 AM

my 1.4 is dead silent... it is such a change from my louder then heck pc... The only time i hear noise is when I"m playing a cd... dvds are typically fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules