Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switching from Windows...

Switching from Windows...
kevin.g
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 10:25 AM

I know this is probably an old topic, but I just ordered an iMac and am switching over from Windows. Questions are:

1) How should I transfer my LaCie external HD for usage with the Mac? It's formatted NTFS so I know I'll have to re-format this. Just not sure how to transfer my files properly between Mac and PC as I do this.
2) How should I handle my iPod? It's formatted for Windows now. My guess is that I simply re-format to work with Mac, but I wonder if there's a way to do this without having to erase the music on there now.
3) If I keep my PC on a shared wireless network will the Mac be able to read files from its internal HD?

Thanks for the help!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 12:34 PM

1.) The Mac should be able to READ NTFS. No harm in plugging it in and trying.
2.) Depends on the iPod. 4G and 5G are interchangeable. 3Gs have to be "reformatted" to switch. It's probably best to use the iPod as a HD to transfer the music them recreate your playlists manually.
3.) If you can get the Mac onto the network, it should be able to access the windows network on your machine if both are configured properly (I can't give you any more details than that).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

DrWoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 12:35 PM

I'll answer question 2. If it's formatted windows you don't have to reformat it to work with your mac. OS X can read Fat32 formatted drives so you'll be ok. However Apple doesn't offical support using a windows formatted ipod on a mac. It's not that it doesn't work or you'll have any problems. It's just their position. Personally my ipod is mac formatted, however I'm probably going to reformat it for windows so I can use it on my mac at home and my PC at work. Currently this isn't possible because it's mac formatted.

Originally Posted by kevin.g
I know this is probably an old topic, but I just ordered an iMac and am switching over from Windows. Questions are:

1) How should I transfer my LaCie external HD for usage with the Mac? It's formatted NTFS so I know I'll have to re-format this. Just not sure how to transfer my files properly between Mac and PC as I do this.
2) How should I handle my iPod? It's formatted for Windows now. My guess is that I simply re-format to work with Mac, but I wonder if there's a way to do this without having to erase the music on there now.
3) If I keep my PC on a shared wireless network will the Mac be able to read files from its internal HD?

Thanks for the help!!
My Ramblings:
http://karagitz.blogspot.com

kevin.g  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
1.) The Mac should be able to READ NTFS. No harm in plugging it in and trying.
I thought that Macs could only read FAT32 formatted drives, and not NTFS. But I will certainly try.

oni
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 02:21 PM

I thought that Macs could only read FAT32 formatted drives, and not NTFS. But I will certainly try.
They can read/write to FAT32 and only read NTFS

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 05:36 PM

Yes it's very easy (assuming you have XP)...

1. On the pc, right-click the hard drive you want to share and select Sharing and security.
2. Read the warning, click the link to continue.
3. Checkmark the box below Share this folder on the network. Click Apply. It will go thru some gyrations.
4. On the Mac, open the finder window (happy face icon on the dock, or Cmd-N)
5. Select Network in the list. After a couple seconds, your pc should show up with whatever name you gave it when you first set up Windows. Click on it.
6. In the preview column, click on Connect... Type in your account name and password. You should then be presented with a list of shares available to mount.

Gelfling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 02:11 AM

The mac will definitely read NTFS. I stuck my PC drive in my mac a few days ago. It could read everything on it without any problem at all.
"The giant Grof was hit in one eye by a stone, and that eye turned inward so that it looked into his mind, and he died of what he saw there" -- The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, Patricia A. McKillip

kevin.g  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 12:07 PM

So this arrived finally and you all are correct except that the Mac won't read all/any of my music files in the LaCie iTunes folder. Any insight? JPEGs, video files, etc. no problem though...

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 02:15 PM

So this arrived finally and you all are correct except that the Mac won't read all/any of my music files in the LaCie iTunes folder. Any insight? JPEGs, video files, etc. no problem though...
Check out this software:

http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti/

Works like a charm!

Forget to mention, when I added them to iTunes directly from the program it slowed down a lot. I recommend saving them to disk, then adding them to iTunes. It will take some time, but it is worth it. Also make sure iTunes can't see your iPod. It's easy to do, just open iTunes (before plugging your iPod in), then the preferences menu within iTunes (there might be an easier way, but that is how I do it). After iTunes can't see your iPod, plug in your iPod, launch Senuti and your iPod will appear there.

Oh yeah best part of the Senuti, it's free!!!
( Last edited by chme6583; Nov 9, 2005 at 02:24 PM. )

kevin.g  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 02:30 PM

Thanks - will look into this. I'd prefer though to not have to use the iPod as a conduit since I have 70 GB of music and my iPod is only a 15 gigger. Wonder why the Mac can't read all of these music files?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 07:29 PM

Yeah that is strange. It should be able to read any mp3 or whatever new iTunes format they're in. Can you play them in the Finder? (select the file, choose Get Info from the file menu and then play them in the preview part).

Are some of these tracks bought from the iTunes music store? I think you have to do some sort of authorising thing with those.

kevin.g  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 10:26 AM

What's weird is that I have MP3s in another folder on the drive and these can be read just fine. It's ONLY those in the official organized iTunes folder. None were purchased from the iTunes store.

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 11:12 AM

What's weird is that I have MP3s in another folder on the drive and these can be read just fine. It's ONLY those in the official organized iTunes folder. None were purchased from the iTunes store.
Have you added them to your library?

kevin.g  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by chme6583
Have you added them to your library?
I can't unfortunately because iTunes won't even recognize them.

I did use Senuti with success so this is one option. Or I guess I can share them on the network via my Windows PC and grab them this way.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 01:12 PM

I know this is probably an old topic, but I just ordered an iMac and am switching over from Windows.
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your mac.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 07:12 PM

I just discovered a book today entitled "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition" by David Pogue. (I'd provide a link to Amazon but the insert link function isn't working correctly on the forum.) Pogue is arguably the best Mac writer there is; much of what I know I have learned from various Pogue books going back eight years. $17 spent on the book will likely save you some time and trouble and will get you quickly on the road to Mac Nirvana.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 05:23 AM

Did you make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your new Mac? I believe that new ones won't recognise old libraries.

kevin.g  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 10:36 AM

I do have the latest iTunes; still can't figure it out though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm actually transferring via a wi fi network; seems like it's working OK - with 70 GB it's taking a while though!

I do read David Pogue columns every week in the NY Times - thanks for the book recommendation, will try to check it out.

All in all switching over the the Mac has been easy; I haven't read any tutorials really - the OS is so intuitive that the basics at least are simple to grasp. This will I imagine encourage many PC users to make the shift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules