Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari drives me crazy!

Safari drives me crazy!
DrWoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 05:44 PM

Help. When I click a link on a site that points to an .mov, the file is played back inside the safari window. Is it possible to have safari launch the file in quicktime player instead of playing inside a window? I find this annoyning because I want to enlarge the size the video. I realize I can always save the file then play it through quicktime, but this is a hassle. I like my p0rn large
My Ramblings:
http://karagitz.blogspot.com

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 06:22 PM

Assuming you don't want to use the QuickTime plug-in in Safari or any other browser, you can do the following ...

1. Navigate to \Library\Internet Plug-Ins in the Finder.
2. Move QuickTime Plugin.plugin and QuickTime Plugin.webplugin to the \Library\Internet Plug-Ins\Disabled Plugins
3. Restart Safari.

OAW

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 06:45 PM

Or just right/control click on the link and download the movie to disk.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Or just right/control click on the link and download the movie to disk.
That is exactly what he said he didn't want to do because it's "a hassle."

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2005, 07:01 PM

I don't know - I would have thought removing the plugin would just download the file to the HD.

What you can do is open Quicktime and then paste the link into the open URL box. That way it should download into quicktime.

For embedded pages, first open the movie in the browser then pause it and show page source. Search for .mov to get the URL.

To use a random movie trailer from Apple as an example: the chicken little trailer is embedded at:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney...er_medium.html

but searching the page source for .mov, you find the following URL, which streams the movie into Quicktime player.

http://movies.apple.com/movies/disne...little_320.mov

DrWoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
Assuming you don't want to use the QuickTime plug-in in Safari or any other browser, you can do the following ...

2. Move QuickTime Plugin.plugin and QuickTime Plugin.webplugin to the \Library\Internet Plug-Ins\Disabled Plugins
3. Restart Safari.

OAW
Ok.. this sounds like what I want to do. My question is when I click on a link will it automatically open the quicktime player or will it just download it and I need to click it in the download manager or finder to open it with quicktime? If not can I configure a mime time with an associated application to auto launch quicktime.
My Ramblings:

DrWoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by OAW

3. Restart Safari.

OAW
Ok.. this sounds like what I want to do. My question is when I click on a link will it automatically open the quicktime player or will it just download it and I need to click it in the download manager or finder to open it with quicktime? If not can I configure a mime time with an associated application to auto launch quicktime.
My Ramblings:

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by DrWoo
It should download the file and automatically open it up in QT if you have the Open "safe" files after downloading preference set.

OAW

DrWoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 11:07 PM

Nice.. I'll give it a whirl.
My Ramblings:

inkhead
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 12:00 AM

What about if the movie is already playing in the brower, like a trailer site. I have quicktime pro but I wish there was a way to maybe play the movie fullscreen or jump to quicktime, it's annoying as hell to choose, save source... and download to desktop, then click on it to open...

inkhead
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 12:01 AM

What about if the movie is already playing in the brower, like a trailer site. I have quicktime pro but I wish there was a way to maybe play the movie fullscreen or jump to quicktime, it's annoying as hell to choose, save source... and download to desktop, then click on it to open...

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 05:01 AM

Ya a play full screen would be a nice option for QTPro plugin. Real has this in their free player. I want all embeded movies to automaticly play full screen (reals plays fullscreen without needing to launch Real Player).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules