Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD Monitor calibration

LCD Monitor calibration
indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 27, 2008, 02:14 PM

Ok, so I have my MacBookPro and an external 22" LCD, I need to calibrate these so that they are at least the same, I've tried the color sync utility thing but it's not close enough.

Any other solutions?

Thanks!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2008, 02:25 PM

You need hardware calibration. I have bought a ColorSpyder 2 Express for $65 on amazon and the difference is mind-blowing if you care about colors.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 27, 2008, 04:45 PM

Any other devices? I had seen that before and was seriously debating it, but the reviews seem to be so-so.

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2008, 05:37 AM

Well, there is Pantone's Huey (which I haven't used) and more expensive solutions. I was recommended a device that costs about $250 next, but honestly, even the ColorSpyder 2 Express is a huge leap forward compared to a software-calibrated monitor. If you want to spend more than that, you can get better results.

One more thing: your external monitor will look different from your notebook screen, not because calibration was bad, but because it has a much wider gamut (= range of displayable colors). Notebook screens (and many cheap TN desktop panels) only use 6 bit technology so that they can really display only 262k colors instead of 16.7m. But the image you see on your notebook screen will be a fairly good approximation. I usually rough-edit my stuff on my ProBook and then do the fine-tuning on my external screen.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 12:45 PM

The one I keep seeing recommended over at dpreview.com is Eye-One Display 2. I'm tempted by that myself but at 199, I'm not sure I want it that much.

Reading some of the negative reviews of the ColorVision Spyder2 Express left me concerned, and I've also seen more then enough negative posts over at dpreview to keep me away from that product.

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 28, 2008, 01:33 PM

Well, this morning after doing a little research last night I decided to go with Pantone's Huey Pro at 93$

The selling points for me were native multi-display support and user-defined gamma and white point, I will post my thoughts after I get it and play around. The only issue I've come across is a manufacturing defect that causes some calibrators to go crazy with magenta but Pantone seems to have a system in place to replace the units.

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2008, 02:51 PM

The Spyder2Express can calibrate several monitors as well, although it doesn't work `out-of-the box' (i. e. you need to shut one monitor off, calibrate the other and add a meaningful description in ColorSync Utility).

But in any case, congrats, I hope things work flawlessly on your end

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The one I keep seeing recommended over at dpreview.com is Eye-One Display 2. I'm tempted by that myself but at 199, I'm not sure I want it that much.

Reading some of the negative reviews of the ColorVision Spyder2 Express left me concerned, and I've also seen more then enough negative posts over at dpreview to keep me away from that product.
Eye-One Display 2 is fantastic, reliable, easy to use. You will have this for a long time, and won't be sorry. 199 is actually a good price for that unit, as many dealers sell it for 250,

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2008, 04:18 PM

Well, it's been a while. So the first one I received, ta-da, color casting, a lovely magenta tint on everything... wonderful. I get in touch with Pantone, they send me a new one, it arrived today... ta-da... same problem! They have sent another replacement... goody, now i'll have 3, maybe this one will work! At least they aren't making me send the defective ones back and they seem to be relatively responsive.

OreoCookie
Apr 10, 2008, 03:03 AM

Get a refund and buy something else.
I have a Color Spyder 2 Express and I'm quite happy with the results, no tints whatsoever. Although next time, I'll go for the Eye One Veltiner has recommended to me (which is more than three times as expensive).

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 10, 2008, 02:41 PM

I'll let them ship this one, if it's still screwed up I will either demand a refund or demand that they send me a different model... (the Eye-One) since Pantone is owned by the company who makes that... and since they will have sent me $300 of non-working calibrators at that point I think they might as well send me a $200 one that works...

Forum Links
Forum Rules