Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sometimes the old method is better than new technology

Sometimes the old method is better than new technology
EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 28, 2009, 02:20 AM

I read this article: "Death by email" from Macworld and if you use email at work you can probably relate. At the end of the article you'll read about a company which has tried to reduce email by going back to the old school method of face to face conversation or by phone. They are implying that it has cut down on the time wasted emailing which has increased productivity. So for them the best upgrade is a downgrade.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 28, 2009, 03:14 AM

I would read this but I'm too busy updating my facebook status while reading some twitter updates.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2009, 07:30 AM

I often write e-mails to myself at work just to have a handy place to store ideas. Writing them in a notebook doesn't work for me, because then you have to remember when you had the idea and find where it is in the notebook. I routinely search my E-mail archive to find out what I was doing months ago. And I often follow up face-to-face conversations with an E-mail just to have a record of them.

Then again, I rarely get more than a few dozen E-mails a day. If I really were getting hundreds I'd probably ignore most of them.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2009, 07:49 AM

The problem isn't with email, it's with the people using email.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 10:43 AM

I really want to say "that's what she said" but can't figure out if it works or not
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 11:34 AM

If you just start charging people .1¢ per KB (per copy) to send email, people wouldn't inundate each other with extraneous nonsense.

andi*pandi
Oct 28, 2009, 12:13 PM

Shh, that's what the government's planning...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 01:52 PM

What pisses me off are irrelevant announcements, with irrelevant 3 MB attachments.

In an organization with hundreds or thousands of employees, I really don't give a chit if Sarah from personnel is leaving us to pursue other interests, even if it's in a message with a cute Xmas tree motif background.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 02:16 PM

I waste time on MacNN when I'm not fixing something.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 02:21 PM

Why face to face, when you can just webcam?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Exactly.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2009, 07:46 PM

Sometimes the old method is better than new technology
Case in point:

Sex > in vitro treatment.

EndlessMac  (op)
Senior User
Oct 28, 2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
The problem isn't with email, it's with the people using email.
Yes I would agree with that. There are definitely people who are abusing this technology.

That is a good point. Although webcam isn't as common in some companies as in others. I'm sure that will be abused if it gets popular. That reminds me of some telecommute works who were horrified about the whole webcam technology. It meant that they had to actually get dress and look presentable when talking to their coworkers. Before then they just communicated through emails and telephone....in their underwear.

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Case in point:

Sex > in vitro treatment.
No argument there.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 28, 2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
That reminds me of some telecommute works who were horrified about the whole webcam technology. It meant that they had to actually get dress and look presentable when talking to their coworkers. Before then they just communicated through emails and telephone....in their underwear.
Been there, done that, awesome.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 04:16 PM

That is a good point. Although webcam isn't as common in some companies as in others. I'm sure that will be abused if it gets popular. That reminds me of some telecommute works who were horrified about the whole webcam technology. It meant that they had to actually get dress and look presentable when talking to their coworkers. Before then they just communicated through emails and telephone....in their underwear.
Why change? That'd be a good way to get out of future meetings. "Oh god, I don't want to have a meeting with that guy in his underwear. We'll just email him the minutes and get feedback later."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Why change? That'd be a good way to get out of future meetings. "Oh god, I don't want to have a meeting with that guy in his underwear. We'll just email him the minutes and get feedback later. fire him and hire someone who knows how to dress and bathe themselves."
fixed

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
fixed
What if he was in a dress?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 06:37 PM

I'm a journal writer and have been since I was a teen. I started out with pen & paper but soon started using a word processor. This evolved into the formation of a private BBS where I posted my personal thoughts and where those closest to me could share their ideas as well. Not long after the Web really took off I began a semi-private blog, though it wasn't known as a "blog" then, and that's gone on for years. Now, although I still do some posting on that site, I've returned to where I started and went back to the pen. There's just something warm and comfortable about writing in a big heavy book, in a way it's as if what I'm putting on paper is more real. I still have digital copies of all the important things, but there's nothing like tangible media.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 07:25 PM

It meant that they had to actually get dress and look presentable when talking to their coworkers. Before then they just communicated through emails and telephone....in their underwear.
They could still do it in their underwear, just wear a nice shirt too. I guess shaving and combing your hair would help also.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 07:44 PM

They could still do it in their underwear, just wear a nice shirt too. I guess shaving and combing your hair would help also.
You don't even have to go as far as a shirt, you could just ware one of those front suit covers the put on corpses in Walmart caskets.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
What if he was in a dress?
It's called a muumuu

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2009, 12:27 PM

Do Snuggies count as clothes?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2009, 12:45 PM

Only if they have a tux printed on the front

hayesk
Nov 4, 2009, 05:55 PM

I read that telecommuters who actually get dressed are more productive than those who work in their underwear, pajamas, etc.

But seriously, the problem is not the technology, it's the lack of perspective and knowledge of etiquette when using the technology. Employees should be issued warnings when improperly using email (e.g. Reply to all, replying with redundant attachments, using email where a forum is more appropriate, etc.)

If I was a carpenter, and couldn't use a hammer properly, I'd be fired. So why are employees not being forgiven when they can't use email properly.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I read that telecommuters who actually get dressed are more productive than those who work in their underwear, pajamas, etc.
I can see that. I'm currently "between jobs" (euphemism for living on whatever photography gigs I can scrape together,) so I spend a lot of time at home now. On days I don't sleep in and put off getting dressed until later, I feel far less productive. If I get up, shower and get dressed before breakfast, I generally get more done, even if I don't leave the house all day.

EndlessMac  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
But seriously, the problem is not the technology, it's the lack of perspective and knowledge of etiquette when using the technology.
I agree with you because I also think it is a lack of etiquette and sometimes the lack of knowledge in how to use email. A similar problem was when cell phones came out. People were using them like they were in a private booth and picked up their phones no matter what like in movie theaters. I remember reading an article that said our science is creating new technology faster than we can develop etiquettes for their usage. I'm sure everyone has experienced social network spammers who think that everyone would be interested in hearing about what they ate this morning.

Some of the problems do come from the lack of knowledge and training in how to use emails because I had a former coworker who didn't know the difference between reply and reply all. Apparently companies will tolerate their lack of knowledge rather than take the time and money to train these workers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules