Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Cannot Share Internet Connection

Cannot Share Internet Connection
Penguirl
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2011, 01:52 AM

I've been given an older x86 box that I need to connect to the internet. It's too far to connect to the router via ethernet, and it does not have wi-fi nor can I afford a wi-fi card/adapter/etc…

I am trying to share a connection via ethernet from either a Tiger imac or a Snow Leopard Mac Pro that are connected to the router via Wi-Fi but I cannot get Internet Sharing to work on either one. I have enabled Internet Sharing from Airport to Ethernet, enabled web sharing, turned off the firewall, disabled Little Snitch, deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist, rebooted, tried several seemingly silly voodoo rituals found on the interweb and yet I still cannot get internet access to the x86 box.

I know from researching the problem that a lot of people have similar issues, but none of the fixes I've found have helped. If anyone here can help I would very much appreciate it.
( Last edited by Penguirl; Aug 21, 2011 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Grammar)

ibook_steve
Aug 21, 2011, 02:00 PM

Enabling Internet sharing from airport to Ethernet should be all you need to do. More likely there's an issue with the config on the PC or the cable.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2011, 03:46 PM

I agree, it should be all I need to do but it has never been that easy. In my search for an answer I even found a comment on Apple's forums (a user, not an Apple employee) that said they were told by AppleCare that Apple had dropped support for Internet Sharing in SL due to the number of issues.

Bottom Comment

That is why I've gone back to my Tiger machine, but still no love.

Thorzdad
Aug 21, 2011, 04:07 PM

I can assure you, Internet Sharing works fine under Snow Leopard.
I was doing this daily, with no issues, with my iMac, via an ad-hoc AirPort network broadcasting from the iMac, until I finally got a proper AEBS. All our Macs and an iPhone could connect with no problems.

I will say, though, that the few times I tried to get my wife's old WIndows laptop to join the ad-hoc network, it never worked. I could never figure out why. It could see the network, but all attempts to get it to log-in failed.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2011, 04:30 PM

Are you able to ping one machine from the other at all?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2011, 03:09 PM

I was doing a textual Debian install and when I selected auto configure it failed with the error that the server was not using DHCP or there was a problem with the DHCP. My network cl-fu is weak so I switched to a Puppy install and Internet Sharing is working from the 10.4 iMac.

Thank you for your input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules