Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Old Mac Problem

Old Mac Problem
Ralph Tomaccio
Jul 2, 2003, 12:44 PM

I have a Umax Mac clone that's 6 years old. When I go to start it, I get either an "Illegal Instruction" or "Error Type 10" message shortly after booting. It says to try restarting holding the shift key to turn the extensions off and I still get the same messages.

It will also not start up from a CD by holding down the "C" key during startup, or by holding down the other method of shift/option/command/delete.

Any idea as to what I might try or what you project the problem may be? I'm in a transition from this Mac to a Dell and need to get certain files off the external hard drive.

In the past I've been able to solve most any problem, but this one has me perplexed.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 01:48 PM

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? (Hold Command+Option+P+R at startup until you hear 3 chimes.) If that doesn't work, pull the batter out for 10 minutes.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Jul 2, 2003, 02:54 PM

Great suggestion! Unfortunately, it didn't work either.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2003, 03:46 PM

Call dell, tell them you are a switcher, and you'd like them to help you get it setup and get your files to it.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

rezzi
Jul 2, 2003, 05:33 PM

I think the Mac smells the Dell and therefore won't release the files.....

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Jul 9, 2003, 04:56 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone, but I took an extended 4th of July weekend. Back to reality now and just tried a new system motheroard battery. Unfortunately, no luck - it wasn't the problem.

Now, I have to make the decision of just scraping the computer or investing a little money into having someone look at it to determine whether or not it's worth fixing.

Any other ideas out there?

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 07:52 PM

Well, you can remove peripherals - especially any unnecessary PCI cards. And if you've got extra RAM in there, you can pull that as well. If you've got the processor over-clocked, clock it down - it may be burning out. And, finally, try booting from a disk with the version of the Mac OS it came with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules