Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W G3 questions...

B&W G3 questions...
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 12:23 PM

I may be picking up as many as six B&W's from a friend tomorrow. Sitting on the shelves in his warehouse and he wants me to get them out of his hair. I used one of these machines a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure they are rev 1's due to the fact they had a pci card running the ide drive which I am assuming is due to the corruption problem the B&W's had.

I currently have a beige G3 333 tower with a Sonnet G4 500 zif, ati 7000 pci card, MacAlly firewire/usb pci card, 3 256mb pc133 ram chips and an ATTO expressPCI scsi card.

What parts will I be able to transfer over to the B&W from the Beige? Would the scsi drive/card be worth putting in a B&W? Could I put one of the zifs from the B&B in the beige? Anyone need a B&W?

We'll see what happens tomorrow. TIA for your help.

'Diddy
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 12:29 PM

Oh, and could someone give me the rundown on the firmware 1.1 G4 upgrade problem? I found some info on it but it was all from back in '99. Please let me know how to get around it.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2005, 12:39 PM

You can use all of your Beige G3's parts in the B&W. Whether or not there is a reason to stick with the SCSI setup is up to you, but I see no reason not to bring it all over. Theres certainly enough room in the B&W's case.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 01:11 PM

Not sure about the SCSI either. I have a 40gb 7200 drive that is probably faster. The only reason I was using the SCSI drive on the Beige was because of the 8gb/OSX limitation and I'd had the 40 in an enclosure prior and didn't feel like partitioning it and having to back everything up on it.

Thanks!

Nother question: Can I remover the 128 rage card and put my ATI 7000 in that slot? I know its a 66 instead of the standard 33. If I can will there be any benefit vs. the 33 slots?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2005, 01:29 PM

Well, there is a reason the 66MHz slot exists. It is pretty much solely for higher performance video. Often times, you'll see people whose priority is storage speed and not video put their SCSI/ATA/S-ATA controller cards in the 66MHz slot and their video card in one of the 33MHz slots. But I have never seen any concrete evidence that this actually provides a boost in storage speed, so I'd pop the Radeon in there and enable the 'PCI Extreme!' hack so you can take advantage of Quartz Extreme.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Not sure about the SCSI either. I have a 40gb 7200 drive that is probably faster. The only reason I was using the SCSI drive on the Beige was because of the 8gb/OSX limitation and I'd had the 40 in an enclosure prior and didn't feel like partitioning it and having to back everything up on it.

Thanks!

Nother question: Can I remover the 128 rage card and put my ATI 7000 in that slot? I know its a 66 instead of the standard 33. If I can will there be any benefit vs. the 33 slots?
Putting that 7000 in the 66mhz slot will improve performance somewhat, although not a night & day difference.......the 66mhz slot in the B&W was designed for the video card anyway, and the cards were designed to run at a default 66mhz too

Personally I would NOT bother with the scsi drive and just move on to ATA/SATA.
SCSI, for all intents & purposes, is a dead technology. OS X is rapidly dropping support for it, as are most other standard desktop OS's
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 05:11 PM

Got the first one home. It's a rev b! No pci scsi cards.

g3 400, 6 gig hd, ATI rage 128 pci.

Had some trouble with the Sonnet firmware update. The newest version (2.3) wouldn't work for some reason. Dug through my backup files and found a 2.0 version - worked fine. One of my pc133 256 meg ram chips locked the machine up. The other two worked. So I know have 2 128s and 2 256s. ATI 7000 pci card in the 66mhz pci slot and I did bring my scsi card over with the old HD. Easier than reinstalling everything. Eventually I'll use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything onto a new drive.

Hoping to get 3 or 4 more of these next week some time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 07:01 PM

I had a rev. 1 G3 (originally @ 400MHz o/c'd to 450MHz) with a 900MHz PPC750fx upgrade, an original Radeon 32MB video card in the 66MHz slot, 1GB of RAM, an ATA/133 controller & a 60GB 8MB-cache 7200RPM HD running OS X 10.3, a USB 2.0 PCI card and a CDRW. It all ran pretty well actually and did fine with the PCI Quartz Extreme hack (even with the other PCI cards in place).

I did have to attach a small VGA/Pentium-size fan to the heatsink, as the PowerLogix 900MHz proc. card ran really hot. But otherwise it held up for nearly a year at work until I replaced it with a GigE G4 @ 1.4GHz.

Playing with old machines is great fun... something my lovely wife doesn't quite get

David Lee
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2005, 03:53 AM

In regard to "You can use all of your Beige G3's parts in the B&W.":
You should be aware that the desktop and tower Beige G3s came with PC66 RAM modules, which will not work ("shouldn't work" actually, some may) in the B&Ws. The opposite way does work, PC100 Ram works in the Beige G3s as long as the modules use the right density of ram chips. Check out XLR8yourmac.com for the details, I seem to have forgotten. But to sum it up, the ram modules can be problematic, when transfering them from the older machines to the newer. Also, the B&Ws can use 256MB chips but not 512MB.
good luck

Kyros
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 09:32 PM

How much would you sell one of those Blue and whites for?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Kyros:
How much would you sell one of those Blue and whites for?
ditto.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules