Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > G3 Tower/iTunes on Home AV system and TV

G3 Tower/iTunes on Home AV system and TV
kosherbacon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 08:02 AM

Hey. Newbie here, so I apologize if this has been asked before. I haven't seen it...

So I have long been looking for a way to play my iTunes library through my stereo system and control it through my TV. My PC (i need it for work, unfortunately) is on another floor. I have a wireless network, but the only solutions that I am aware of still require some interaction with the PC. Am I wrong about that?

Now I stand to inherit a blue-and-white G3 tower. I figure that I can connect the G3 to the stereo and port the RGB out with some kind of adapter to my receiver (which supports analog video and s-video inputs) and then through to the the TV. Then, I could use a wireless mouse or something to control it all, wireless network to connect to iTunes.

Has anyone done this? I have seen many adapters out there--which one would be appropriate for a G3 tower? I found this one on Mac Connection, but don't know whether it is exactly what I need.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Len
-------------------
G3 blue & white tower
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz
iPod 3G 40GB

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:29 PM

I'd upgrade the video card to something that has s-video out. I had my B&W hooked up to my tv with an ATI radeon 7000 pci card and a g4 500 processor upgrade and it worked super for music, dvd's and divx. Problem was the power supply fan drove me crazy. I lucked out and got a Cube from a friend and upgraded the video card in that! Quiet and classy!

kosherbacon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 07:41 AM

I have a closed cabinet for the mac, so I'm not soo worried about the fan. Plus, I can't argue with a free G3 tower. If it turns out to be loud, I'll get a Mac Mini or something. Thanks for the advice on the card!
-------------------
G3 blue & white tower
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz
iPod 3G 40GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules