Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row on a Powerbook

Front Row on a Powerbook
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 12:14 AM

Is there a way to have Front Row on a powerbook (pb 12 g4 R)? It is just a program, so it should be possible. The problem of course is the remote and the ir sensor, but i'm putting that aside for now.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 02:54 AM

Sure, there are hacked copies of it out there. You'll have to find them. (Apple really should provide this for free, or at least sell it with the remote and a USB IR sensor!)
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 03:22 AM

Since Front Row supports keyboard controls, the only thing keeping other people from using it without a remote supported Mac is with the hack Apfhex mentioned, which cracks it to enable it to run on your Mac and allows you to set a hot key to bring it up (such as command escape).

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19947

Since Apple provides Front Row for download for free, it's all relatively legit... just follow the instructions with that app and you should have it running with no problem.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Super Mario
Jan 27, 2006, 08:52 AM

DONT INSTALL THE FRONT ROW ENABLER

The hack can screw up your mouse and keyboard system pref pane completely making SysPrefs crash. After following the instructions perfectly twice this happened to me and there is no uninstall application and I can't Front Row on my system at all. And now I have lost all menu bar items too.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 27, 2006 at 09:01 AM. )

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 10:49 AM

I have frontrow running on a variety of different machines. None of the above problems. Install and enjoy. Join everyone but Super Mario who have installed Frontrow trouble free.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 11:08 AM

No problem running Front Row on several systems here either.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 11:22 AM

I had the hack running on my iBook, but it "broke" after the 10.4.4. update. Haven't cared to take time to fix it since then.

But my Safari is acting up, and its about time for the iBook to get its semi-annual format. Maybe after the format I'll install the hack.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 12:08 PM

double post
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Super Mario
Jan 27, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by gdiddy
I have frontrow running on a variety of different machines. None of the above problems. Install and enjoy. Join everyone but Super Mario who have installed Frontrow trouble free.
I have just read the comments on the instruction page and I was not the only person. It is not a 100% safe. It hasn't the quality of a Unsanity haxie yet.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
DONT INSTALL THE FRONT ROW ENABLER

The hack can screw up your mouse and keyboard system pref pane completely making SysPrefs crash. After following the instructions perfectly twice this happened to me and there is no uninstall application and I can't Front Row on my system at all. And now I have lost all menu bar items too.
Well, first off, there is uninstall directions, secondly, it modifies 3 files. None of which have anything to do with SysPrefs...
Run down the checklist
1. Are you running 10.4.3 or later?
2. Have you installed a Mighty Mouse lately?
3. Are you sure you followed the directions exactly?
4. Have you checked your SystemUIServer crashlogs to see what's wrong? (This is why you're losing Spotlight and the menu bar items, perhaps you're also running an unsupported menu extra?)

Correlation != Causality.

(You can open Front Row Enabler.app up and look at the script it's using to replace the files. Nothing all that out of the ordinary.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules