Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sony & Pioneer Blu-ray players delayed (again) - pic

Sony & Pioneer Blu-ray players delayed (again) - pic
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 12, 2006, 02:45 PM

Sony/Pioneer Blu-ray players delayed until August/September

"Launching a new format is fairly big effort, and you have such a broad spectrum of capabilities with the media itself, including BD-Java, content protection layers and various authoring tools that are being brought up to speed."

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:48 PM

Great, let's make the color of the equipment aesthetically obtrusive.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:48 PM

I don't see the point of shipping them before the PS3 anyway as who would be nutty enough to pay a grand for it when the PS3 is $650.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:51 PM

Probably older, richer people (movie enthusiasts?) who don't play video games.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Probably older, richer people (movie enthusiasts?) who don't play video games.
Well releasing it early for such a small market doesn't make much sense either. Even if you don't want to play games on the PS3 it is still the same thing for less.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 02:54 PM

If the PS2 with DVD is an example of what the PS3 will be like with Blu-ray then it may pay to go with a standalone. The PS2 made for a 2nd rate DVD player. We have no idea how well the PS3 will do with Blu-ray movies though.

Originally Posted by Dakar
Great, let's make the color of the equipment aesthetically obtrusive.
Actually, I like the look of it.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Actually, I like the look of it.
I like it ok, but it'd look like crap under my receiver.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 02:58 PM

On the other hand, even if you never play video games on it, why not save $350 on a movie player?

I'm with you on the color scheme thing. Once there's a huge choice of BD-playing models, that's when you start putting out ones to match everybody's decor.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:59 PM

If the PS2 with DVD is an example of what the PS3 will be like with Blu-ray then it may pay to go with a standalone.
Oh I agree, but I would wait till the cost came waaaaaay down.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 03:00 PM

Hey, it's the same colour as your sig.

Anyways, I have a Champagne gold coloured Panasonic DVD player, and it looks just fine with my black receiver.

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Oh I agree, but I would wait till the cost came waaaaaay down.
Well, $1000 and $1500 players are for the early adopters anyway. Why buy an early adopter machine if it doesn't come out early?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
On the other hand, even if you never play video games on it, why not save $350 on a movie player?
I can't speak for the PS3, but if its anything like the early PS2, that'd be reason enough to pay a premium (particularly if you've got that kind o' cash).

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 03:03 PM

Hey, it's the same colour as your sig.
The gig is up!

Anyways, I have a Champagne gold coloured Panasonic DVD player, and it looks just fine with my black receiver.
I could go on and on, but I guess the bottom line is that powder blue bothers me in a way that it doesn't bother you. (I love blue, but not that pansy light tinted ****).

You know if that thing was the color of PS2 CDs I'd probably love it

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 03:04 PM

Well, $1000 and $1500 players are for the early adopters anyway. Why buy an early adopter machine if it doesn't come out early?
Well I don't know if it is "early" early to what? The PS3? Is it the gold standard for blu-ray or just the one getting the most media attention.

Also the first Hd-DVD players were $499 which is worth being an early adapter for. Unfortunately it sucked.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2006, 03:05 PM

If the PS2 with DVD is an example of what the PS3 will be like with Blu-ray then it may pay to go with a standalone. The PS2 made for a 2nd rate DVD player. We have no idea how well the PS3 will do with Blu-ray movies though.
Considering that the PS3 will likely be the first mass marketed Blu-ray player, I would hope Sony would get it right. But then again I just criticize businesses, I don't run one.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 03:06 PM

You don't like Aqua?

Well I don't know if it is "early" early to what? The PS3? Is it the gold standard for blu-ray or just the one getting the most media attention.

Also the first Hd-DVD players were $499 which is worth being an early adapter for. Unfortunately it sucked.
Well, yes and no. From what I've read, the suckiness went away with the last firmware update.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 03:08 PM

You don't like Aqua?

I was Nazi-like in my removal of it from my system. I released a few Graphite icon sets actually.

That's first change anytime I go on a new comp/user: Appearance > Graphite.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 03:11 PM

Well, yes and no. From what I've read, the suckiness went away with the last firmware update.
I heard it was released to fix some of the issues but no "the boot time went from 60 seconds to 10".

Not to mention all the ROM updates in the world are not going to fix the fact that it is loud, big and has the worst remote known to mankind.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 03:13 PM

I heard it was released to fix some of the issues but no "the boot time went from 60 seconds to 10".

Not to mention all the ROM updates in the world are not going to fix the fact that it is loud, big and has the worst remote known to mankind.
Dunno about loud, but yeah it supposedly has a crappy remote. It's big too, but for some reason that never seems to deter the early adopters, and the initial Blu-ray players are big too.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 03:19 PM

Well releasing it early for such a small market doesn't make much sense either. Even if you don't want to play games on the PS3 it is still the same thing for less.
...except the PS3 won't have all the theatre inputs and outputs..

This is like asking why you'd buy a PS2 over a nice DVD player. The answer should be pretty obvious.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
...except the PS3 won't have all the theatre inputs and outputs..
Spoken like the true home theatre buff you are. What type of input you need to a blu-ray player exactly?

The high end model has all the outputs you need. $650

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 05:09 PM

I'm getting the feeling this isn't a technical issue though. There are already blu-ray drives on the market and sony laptops that play Blu-ray movies ship next week.

I think it has to do with getting movies on the market for a strong launch so we aren't all buying Phantom of the opera.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 05:40 PM

I'm getting the feeling this isn't a technical issue though. There are already blu-ray drives on the market and sony laptops that play Blu-ray movies ship next week.

I think it has to do with getting movies on the market for a strong launch so we aren't all buying Phantom of the opera.
You don't trust Pioneer's statement on this?

"We decided to hold off for bit just to make sure everything works well relative to all the various studios that are planning to ship BD titles," commented Pioneer's Andy Parsons.

"Launching a new format is fairly big effort, and you have such a broad spectrum of capabilities with the media itself, including BD-Java, content protection layers and various authoring tools that are being brought up to speed."

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 05:44 PM

So what is sony taking a gable with unfinished software on the laptops they release next week?

Perhaps it is just easier to update ROMS on laptops than players as the people are more technical.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 05:48 PM

Not gambling. They just flat out say it may not work. Stupid but true.

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/No...rch/ARFeatures

6. As with other optical media devices, circumstances may limit compatibility or prevent Blu-ray Disc™ playback. VAIO computers may not support movie playback on packaged media recorded in AVC or VC1 formats at high bit rates.
Same goes for HD DVD laptops.

However the reasons for this I suspect have nothing to do with compatibility issues. It's because the CPUs aren't fast enough. Core Duo simply isn't fast enough to decode the highest bitrate H.264 or VC-1 discs.

zmcgill
Jun 12, 2006, 06:06 PM

Spoken like the true home theatre buff you are. What type of input you need to a blu-ray player exactly?

The high end model has all the outputs you need. $650
My sony DVD player has no less than 5 ways to get video out. The PS2 has...oh yeah...one, unless you buy another set of cables, then two. So for a home theater buff, it might be worth it. Will the PS3 have HDMI or whatever that is?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 06:07 PM

For most people but the ones on the bleeding edge it won't matter. Blu-ray is not going to take off till the PS3 hits the streets.

If I bought a blu-ray player in a month and had 5 titles to choose from and a buggy OS I wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Ask Toshiba how the HD-DVD player is doing, even if they fix it, the thing left a bad impression that could last a loooong time.

Eug would you want a buggy player in 2 months with 5 titles or a good player with more titles in 6 months?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
My sony DVD player has no less than 5 ways to get video out. The PS2 has...oh yeah...one, unless you buy another set of cables, then two. So for a home theater buff, it might be worth it. Will the PS3 have HDMI or whatever that is?
Well if you buy a Blu-ray player and want to hook it up though s-video then um, you got issues.

On the other hand yes, the PS3 has HDMI which is the best port you can have if you want Blu-ray quality. All new high def TV's shipping for the past 6 months or so have them standard. High def TV's before that came with DVI which works with HDMI.

No doubt Eug is going to be unhappy that his 6 year old HDTV doesn't have HDMI ports but hey... 6 YEARS is a long time so he is going to have to stick to component which looks pretty much the same. Even low end TV's years ago had those ports.

True if you want component you might have to get another cable but $30 later you are still waaaaaaay cheaper than buying a stand alone player. Plus component isn't guaranteed to work forever as they might start to copy protect the disks.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 06:12 PM

Eug would you want a buggy player in 2 months with 5 titles or a good player with more titles in 6 months?
If you're asking me... I'm not buying until 2007 at the earliest.

If you ask the HD DVD early adopters... The players are flying off the shelves. It's true that there aren't huge numbers of players out there, but nonetheless, most stores can't keep them in stock.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 06:15 PM

If you're asking me... I'm not buying until 2007 at the earliest.

If you ask the HD DVD early adopters... The players are flying off the shelves. It's true that there aren't huge numbers of players out there, but nonetheless, most stores can't keep them in stock.
It is called marketing. You release a small number either purposely or because you can't make enough and the next week you proudly put out a press release saying it was totally sold out but forget to mention the actual number of units.

The stellar HD-DVD launch "Sold out". Problem is it was only 10,000 units which is incredibly low considering there are 30 million potential HD-TV owners in just the US.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 06:46 PM

I find it so strange how much HDTV has caught on in the US whereas over here in europe its only just starting to be pushed...

lack of interest is an odd thing.

zmcgill
Jun 12, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by threestain
I find it so strange how much HDTV has caught on in the US whereas over here in europe its only just starting to be pushed...

It's America. Our self-worth is defined by our stuff.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by threestain

My understanding is that there is interest there by some consumers, but the broadcasters are slow to push the standard. No HD broadcast --> less consumer push to buy the TVs. Is that not true?

It is called marketing. You release a small number either purposely or because you can't make enough and the next week you proudly put out a press release saying it was totally sold out but forget to mention the actual number of units.

The stellar HD-DVD launch "Sold out". Problem is it was only 10,000 units which is incredibly low considering there are 30 million potential HD-TV owners in just the US.
Indeed. I suspect one of the main reasons though is because they probably lose money on every unit sold.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 07:34 PM

I can't help myself when I see someone with a 60" HDTV.

Unless you watch sports or the handful of HD shows... what's the point until HD-DVD or Blue-Ray take off.

I'm going to wait until:
1) The players are GOOD, and under $500
2) There is a good selection of movies (not the first batch of crap that comes out [The Mask comes to mind for the original DVD players)
3) HD TVs come down a bit more in price. It's funny to see the $4K systems of last year at nearly half the price this year.

I guess I'm OK with my SD until it's all comes in to focus.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I can't help myself when I see someone with a 60" HDTV.

Unless you watch sports or the handful of HD shows... what's the point until HD-DVD or Blue-Ray take off.

I'm going to wait until:
1) The players are GOOD, and under $500
2) There is a good selection of movies (not the first batch of crap that comes out [The Mask comes to mind for the original DVD players)
3) HD TVs come down a bit more in price. It's funny to see the $4K systems of last year at nearly half the price this year.

I guess I'm OK with my SD until it's all comes in to focus.
I watch HD TV shows. Shows like CSI rawk in HD. Plus, I have an Xbox 360.

That said, I'm not buying an HD DVD or Blu-ray player any time soon. I can do without the format war.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2006, 07:39 PM

stop the brutal buying frenzy - don't be a drone!
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 07:40 PM

I watch HD TV shows. Shows like CSI rawk in HD.

That said, I'm not buying an HD DVD or Blu-ray player any time soon. I can do without the format war.
I guess for me, there are SO FEW HD shows that I watch that it just wouldn't be worth it for me. I LOVE renting movies (probably watch 4-5 movies a week).

CSI and about two other shows would be nice... but worth $4K... not now. I'll let the early adopters pay the tab for now.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by mania
stop the brutal buying frenzy - don't be a drone!
Drone? Nah. Scout. I've had my HD TV for five or six years now.

I guess for me, there are SO FEW HD shows that I watch that it just wouldn't be worth it for me. I LOVE renting movies (probably watch 4-5 movies a week).

CSI and about two other shows would be nice... but worth $4K... not now. I'll let the early adopters pay the tab for now.
I bought my HD TV for a little over US$2K, 5 years ago. It really depends on what you want to get. If you want to get a top end 46" Sony Bravia, yeah, it's going to be $$$$, but if you're looking for say a 37" LCD of a different brand it's much, much cheaper.

BTW, DVD looks way better on a good progressive scan set than a low end set.

zmcgill
Jun 12, 2006, 08:07 PM

Do you actually pay to rent each one, or do you use NetFlix? At $15/month it could probably save you some money.

sabrejim
Jun 13, 2006, 02:37 PM

My unit isn't loud and this is the first time I've seen someone complain about the loudness. The remote is beyond awful, but I find it so hard to believe that so many peopole are bitching about this. I expect early adopters to have a decent universal remote.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 02:38 PM

You can get a very very good 42" HD-TV for $1500.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 10:52 AM

Well, the samsungs have shipped and are even in some stores early:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...yer-180940.php

Forum Links
Forum Rules