Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Babies

Babies (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Dec 29, 2009, 09:59 PM

[deleted]
( Last edited by Railroader; Dec 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Don't really want to think about it anymore.)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2009, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Thankyou for this information, I am going to edit my posts here to try and remove links and photos of my kids.

Matt
Just delete them off the server.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2009, 08:41 AM

Once something is posted, it's permanent. If not here, it's archived somewhere. This is a positive thing for our users though, since all photos are posted as links, and if you remove the media that those links point to, the pictures are not available anymore.

This is, however, a poor substitute for "not posting those drunk pictures from the party last night on your Facebook account."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Dec 30, 2009, 11:18 AM

We've had some nice threads here from new parents who are excited when their babies are born, but people don't tend to post every little thing as it would bore this audience. RR example notwithstanding I don't think this is a completely toxic environment for such things. I haven't yet censored myself completely from here, but I feel more open to post kid pix etc elsewhere.

The mommy forums have been a target for psychos who pretend other babies are theirs. I remember it from a forum that is now gone, and it probably still happens on SheKnows message boards: Parenting, relationships, health, entertainment, pregnancy and baby discussions!. Hijacking a photobucket account, pretending they had twins... even posting an ultrasound, waiting a few weeks and pretending they'd then had miscarriages just to get attention. Sad lonely psycho people.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Just delete them off the server.
Why would I want to delete photos from a server that family and friends can see my photos on? Far easier, and better, to delete the links from the one place that you don't want people to see the photos.

Or am I missing something?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2009, 11:37 AM

mattyb, those links have been archived by a number of outside hosts; absolutely nothing ever posted on the Internet is completely lost or completely deleted. Deleting the links here just means that someone looking for your pictures would simply have to go to an older archive version of the site. It would be a lot of trouble, but it's obvious that a lot of people are willing to go to that level of trouble. Changing your server settings is really the way to go, though.

Controlling who has access to the server is the key. The ultimately safest way to share is to mail printed photos, but this is expensive and slow. The next best way is to share through a well managed server that you have an account on and that you have ultimate control of that account. I would have specifically separate accounts for pictures I'd share with family and pictures I'd share with the world. My name and likeness are public record for a number of reasons, but my wife's are not, so pictures of her stay somewhere that I can control very finely who gets access.

Digital privacy is something that most people don't think about ever, and many that wind up thinking about it do so because they've been hurt by not paying attention to it. Remember the guy that shilled for his identity theft-prevention company by showing his real social security number? He wound up getting his identity stolen, albeit only briefly. NOTHING is "perfectly safe" in the world, but if you pay attention to the risks and think about how you can minimize them, you can wind up being pretty secure.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 31, 2009, 11:47 AM

It's probably best to delete the children altogether.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
nobody else wants to listen it so they put it on Twitter.
I think that's an excellent summary of Twitter.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I think that's an excellent summary of Twitter.
This is an excellent summary of a popular misconception, mostly perpetuated by people who neither use nor understand twitter.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
This is an excellent summary of a popular misconception, mostly perpetuated by people who neither use nor understand twitter.
Feel free to clear it up, since you think I don't understand a fairly simple thing.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2010, 12:42 PM

The popular misconception is that twitter is full of meaningless content.

The reality is that twitter is also used by very many people in very intelligent ways. Like anywhere else there's a signal to noise ratio, but the filtering tools are of such quality that, if used correctly, twitter can deliver almost 100% signal.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2010, 01:42 PM

The popular misconception is that twitter is full of meaningless content.
There is very little of meaning on Twitter that isn't somewhere else already. No one is talking about something exclusively on Twitter, so I can likely get whatever it is already. The rest of it is just a collection of mini diary entries.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2010, 02:24 PM

The network, however, is something that is unparalleled in any other service.

Through re-tweeting, news, queries, job offers, and niche topics can reach a FAR wider - and, as the case may be, far more *specific* - audience in an *extremely* short time.

It's completely different from having to actively search out the news.

It's functionally completely different, and thus its potential impact on users who fine-tune its capacities to their needs is vastly different, as well.

(Yes, I've been listening to Phileas. No, I'm not on twitter, myself.)

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2010, 04:11 PM

There is very little of meaning on Twitter that isn't somewhere else already. No one is talking about something exclusively on Twitter, so I can likely get whatever it is already. The rest of it is just a collection of mini diary entries.
Twitter contains an enormous amount of unique information. Maybe even more importantly it contains context that qualifies, reviews and catalogues information, adding to it's usefulness. I am not saying that twitter is for everybody, and you might well be the kind of person who'd get no value out of it, but that doesn't mean that others don't.

Of course there are many, many tweets that are of little interest to anybody but maybe the author and his/her immediate circle of friends and family. That's the noise ratio I was referring to earlier. But as the twitter model works along the idea of following people who publish what you consider signal you are rarely, if ever, exposed to noise.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 1, 2010, 04:13 PM

FALSE.

I have gotten some amazing deals, heard news before it was leaked anywhere else, read some of the greatest comedy bits, and networked with people who I never would have networked with before. A friend is getting almost 100% of his photography jobs through Twitter.

I'll join the mantra: If you don't love twitter, then you haven't really tried it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2010, 04:15 PM

I think Twitter is important, but mostly because of the broad and robust network that supports it. It is today's equivalent of an available Internet in 1993. The "second Russian Revolution" was stopped cold and the USSR became obsolete primarily because of this freely available means of communication. Today, Twitter can fill that same need, but much faster and thus more effectively.

But Phileas it's still true that most tweets seem to be not much more than random synapse firings, rather than even somewhat interesting information. Sure, a number of people who use Twitter are passing relevant, interesting and important information. But most users are quite the opposite, posting mostly random, side-conversation stuff.

The network and the app are good, useful, important and even cool. Many Twitter users, on the other hand, are not necessarily any of these things.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2010, 04:38 PM

Twitter is a great way to get breaking news on things such as baseball trade rumors, Steve Jobs keynote feeds, etc.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
But Phileas it's still true that most tweets seem to be not much more than random synapse firings, rather than even somewhat interesting information. Sure, a number of people who use Twitter are passing relevant, interesting and important information. But most users are quite the opposite, posting mostly random, side-conversation stuff.
Of course. But we need to keep in mind that this is true for pretty much any means of mass communication and not specific to twitter.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2010, 10:52 AM

Of course. But we need to keep in mind that this is true for pretty much any means of mass communication and not specific to twitter.
Very good point. Unfortunately there are "Twitter evangelists" who want people to tweet everything all the time because... well just because. Maybe it makes these loud people feel like their own boring tweets are less boring in contrast.

Either way, the technology is more capable than most people who use it know, and that limits how broadly others will see its appeal.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 4, 2010, 07:06 PM

For the record, many people on this forum have photoshopped me before. I feel bad that I photoshop'd somebody's kid only because it hurt them so much. I thought it was funny. All I did was throw on a bunch of GM stereotype accessories. Plus, it's a freakin baby. All babies look the same anyway. In the future, if I am going to photoshop someone else's baby, I will just use another generic baby since they're so similar looking anyway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2010, 07:21 PM

As someone with a new baby, who posts frequently on Facebook about said baby and has yet to even mention it's existence on here, I think I can answer this one...

A huge bulk of my facebook friends are family members and friends who are scattered around the country. These people do want to see and hear about my baby...*

You people do not care one lick about my baby and I understand this. I also find people who feel the need to constantly post inane details about their life to complete strangers to be rather pathetic, so I try and avoid it.

*...to an extent. You don't want to turn into one of those irritating people who post 10 times a day about their baby... or even once a day about their baby. I use facebook to post about one cute picture every week or two for my closest friends and family to enjoy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2010, 07:28 PM

Also, and I know this is a horrible cliche... but here it goes anyway...

Until you actually have a baby it's really impossible to wrap your head around the entire experience. Having a baby has pretty much changed the entire way I look at the world.

It's easy to make jokes about blah blah baby this and baby that, but once you experience it firsthand you'll really think about it differently.

Okay, I'm done spouting lame generalizations.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2010, 07:37 PM

^ not lame

Railroader
Banned
Jan 4, 2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Until you actually have a baby it's really impossible to wrap your head around the entire experience. Having a baby has pretty much changed the entire way I look at the world.

It's easy to make jokes about blah blah baby this and baby that, but once you experience it firsthand you'll really think about it differently.

Okay, I'm done spouting lame generalizations.
Agreed, NOT lame!

That bolded part is ... [I just have no words to tell you how deeply I agree with you.]

Unfortunately some people will never get it even if they do have a child.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 4, 2010, 10:10 PM

^ not

Forum Links
Forum Rules