Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nexus One

Nexus One
Sealobo
Jan 6, 2010, 06:13 AM

Am i the only one to think that this phone is overrated?

I have a HTC Magic, it seems the Nexus One is just an improved version. Definitely nothing revolutionary. How can it be an iPhone killer?
( Last edited by Sealobo; Jan 6, 2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: sp.)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 06:30 AM

Its another way for them to make money from Google ads.
I know Blackberrys have had trackballs, but why is it a good idea on a phone? Can you take the case apart to clean the thing from pocket lint and hand goo or is this going to be Mighty Mouse 2?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Sealobo  (op)
Jan 6, 2010, 06:43 AM

The only time i use the track ball is to move the cursor precisely among letters to make spelling correction.

o... and some games make use of the ball.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
For a big devise like that, the trackball is in an absolutely useless position.
It's gonna be very hard to use it efficiently.

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post

I have a HTC Magic, it seems the Nexus One is just an improved version. Definitely nothing revolutionary. How can it be an iPhone killer?
Over-hyped, perhaps, but the hype really only coming from the rumor mill. I am seriously considering buying one because regardless of the hype, it is the best smartphone currently out there hardware-wise, and Android offers much better integration with the Google services that I use extensively (especially Google Voice!) than my current iPhone (2G).

Further, I hope Google's Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone. takes off and helps push the US to a less moronic model of mobile phone sales. For that reason alone I'm inclined to buy a Nexus One and support this new initiative.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 09:29 AM

I don't think it's over-hyped at all. It looks like a well-made and well-designed phone with a solid, well thought out OS.

Android closing in on iPhone in user interest, satisfaction

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 09:32 AM

How is the Nexus model much of an improvement in mobile phone sales?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I don't think it's over-hyped at all. It looks like a well-made and well-designed phone with a solid, well thought out OS.

Android closing in on iPhone in user interest, satisfaction
Well, it's definitely OVERPRICED.

It's only 4GB of RAM, so you'd need to add about $ 40 for a 16GB micro SD card.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:01 AM

Way overhyped.

Also, doesn't anyone see the bigger picture?

Google has been positioning itself on making money off of your information. Now there's a way to track that with a mobile device.

"Hey, Bob, I see you're near Princeton and like burgers. Why not try P.J.'s?"

That's where things are going and nobody seems to see that.

IMO, Google has too much information about too many people, and makes themselves not seem so evil by doing it all for free. Making it mobile doesn't seem like such a great thing.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I see way too many targeted ads when using Google's free services. I can't imagine what it'll be like with the phone.

And the phone doesn't seem so spectacular in itself. It's nothing we haven't seen before which is exactly the point people made in the thread about the iPhone, so I hope some of you aren't being hypocrites about it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
How is the Nexus model much of an improvement in mobile phone sales?
It's not. They make you think you're getting a deal by buying it unlocked, but the fact is you spend less buy buying it subsidized from T-Mobile.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
IMO, Google has too much information about too many people, and makes themselves not seem so evil by doing it all for free.
I hate to say it (because it sounds paranoid) but I agree. Their position has become so dominant and their appetite so large. They're becoming a stealthy benevolent Big Brother.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 10:14 AM

Also, doesn't anyone see the bigger picture?

Google has been positioning itself on making money off of your information. Now there's a way to track that with a mobile device.

"Hey, Bob, I see you're near Princeton and like burgers. Why not try P.J.'s?"

IMO, Google has too much information about too many people, and makes themselves not seem so evil by doing it all for free. Making it mobile doesn't seem like such a great thing.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I see way too many targeted ads when using Google's free services. I can't imagine what it'll be like with the phone.
Devils advocate here, couldn't someone just develop add blocking Android software though? Or a firewall to block all comms to certain Google domains?

I have your same worries, but isn't EVERYONE just as bad? If you want that 'computer in your pocket - more than just a phone, don't you get the same sort of treatment from others?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:15 AM

How is Apple the same? I pay them $100 a year for Mobile Me, and I'm more than happy to. No ads. None. No tracking software. None. They let me be me and I don't have to worry that my ass is being tracked.

Also, I just remembered that the Nokia N95 I bought two years ago at Best Buy was unlocked, so what's the BFD about the N1 being unlocked?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:18 AM

I agree with others who say this supersmartphone moniker is retarded. Even the term smartphone itself sounds kind of lame, but I can accept that. Supersmartphone or Superphone is a term I will not accept.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

It's not. They make you think you're getting a deal by buying it unlocked, but the fact is you spend less buy buying it subsidized from T-Mobile.
You don't, actually. T-Mobile offers contract-free plans that match their contract plans in terms of service. The contract-free plans are cheaper. The difference in price between the equivalent plans is such that buying an unlocked Nexus One and getting a contract-free plan pays for the 'extra' cost of the phone in 20 months: less than the term of the more expensive contract that exists exactly to do the same thing.

Plus, with an unlocked phone you're free to move from carrier to carrier as much as you want, potentially saving even more money (although clearly T-Mobile is currently the cheapest in the US). For example, I currently have an AT&T family plan with my wife and my sister-in-law; the average cost-per-line is equivalent to the contract-less T-Mobile plan (about $60/mo), but it comes backed with AT&T's superior (ha!) network. Plus, if I were to leave our family plan it would only actually save us $30/mo ($10 for the line and $20 for the data plan—I have a 2G iPhone). So if I buy an unlocked Nexus One I can use it with our existing plan and still get a massive hardware upgrade (though not a network upgrade as the Nexus One's 3G radio isn't compatible with AT&T's 3G network so I'd still be on EDGE as I am now) without spending any extra money (except for the phone...).

If google succeeds with their new sales model they will have successfully decoupled the phone from the provider: you can buy whatever phone you want and then use it on whatever provider you want.

Sealobo  (op)
Jan 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post

If google succeeds with their new sales model they will have successfully decoupled the phone from the provider: you can buy whatever phone you want and then use it on whatever provider you want.
Sounds like what we've been doing on this side of the planet since the dawn of mobile communication...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
You don't, actually. T-Mobile offers contract-free plans that match their contract plans in terms of service. The contract-free plans are cheaper. The difference in price between the equivalent plans is such that buying an unlocked Nexus One and getting a contract-free plan pays for the 'extra' cost of the phone in 20 months: less than the term of the more expensive contract that exists exactly to do the same thing.

Plus, with an unlocked phone you're free to move from carrier to carrier as much as you want, potentially saving even more money (although clearly T-Mobile is currently the cheapest in the US). For example, I currently have an AT&T family plan with my wife and my sister-in-law; the average cost-per-line is equivalent to the contract-less T-Mobile plan (about $60/mo), but it comes backed with AT&T's superior (ha!) network. Plus, if I were to leave our family plan it would only actually save us $30/mo ($10 for the line and $20 for the data plan—I have a 2G iPhone). So if I buy an unlocked Nexus One I can use it with our existing plan and still get a massive hardware upgrade (though not a network upgrade as the Nexus One's 3G radio isn't compatible with AT&T's 3G network so I'd still be on EDGE as I am now) without spending any extra money (except for the phone...).

Wrong.

T-Mobile DOES NOT allow people to upgrade to a Nexus One. That's one little fact people didn't know. You DO NOT get a "massive hardware upgrade" like you might think.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 10:45 AM

Wrong.

T-Mobile DOES NOT allow people to upgrade to a Nexus One. That's one little fact people didn't know. You DO NOT get a "massive hardware upgrade" like you might think.
What the hell are you talking about? That is completely irrelevant to what I just said.

I'm talking about buying an unlocked Nexus One to replace my iPhone 2G and use on my existing AT&T family plan.

Furthermore, the whole point of my post was that it doesn't matter what T-Mobile 'allows' you to do. Since they offer their cheaper, contract-less plans, you can do whatever the hell you want and be better off than if you pay more for a 'subsidized' phone with a more expensive plan.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:49 AM

Oh, hehe. Didn't see you say "unlocked". Sorry about that.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 10:50 AM

Just so we're clear, here are the relative costs of getting an unsubsidized Nexus One to use with T-Mobile and getting a subsidized Nexus One to use with T-Mobile.

Subsidized
Phone: $179
Plan: $79.99 per month for 24 months
Total for two years of service: $2098.76

Unsubsidized
Phone: $529
Plan: $59.99 per month with no contract
Total for two years of service: $1968.76
Break-even point where the extra cost of the unsubsidized phone is paid for by the savings on the cheaper plan: 17.5 months.

Link to T-Mobile's contract-free plans: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/C...P=EvenMorePlus

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 11:07 AM

That price is for Talk + Text, no web. Be serious, who's going to want that with a SmartSuperPhone?

This might be better:

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/nexus...t-of-ownership

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 11:19 AM

That price is for Talk + Text, no web. Be serious, who's going to want that with a SmartSuperPhone?
No, it's for 500 minutes of voice, unlimited text, and unlimited data: Unsupported Browser

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 11:38 AM

When your company motto is "Don't Be Evil" it's a bad sign.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, it's definitely OVERPRICED.

It's only 4GB of RAM, so you'd need to add about $ 40 for a 16GB micro SD card.

-t
You also can only use the internal memory for your apps, which is 512MB, they claim due to piracy. They say it might change in the future, but you never know.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 11:47 AM

What's a bad sign, ort?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What's a bad sign, ort?
When your company motto is "Don't Be Evil".

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 11:58 AM

I have yet to see anything that says this phone has a multi-touch display. Does it not?

I like Android, but I still haven't seen a phone that is compelling enough to make me want it. The Nexus One comes close, but no multi-touch and limited memory (piracy my ass) means no purchase from me. Oh yeah, and **** that scroll ball.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2010, 12:04 PM

That's because it isn't multitouch. Only touch.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post

No.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I have yet to see anything that says this phone has a multi-touch display. Does it not?

I like Android, but I still haven't seen a phone that is compelling enough to make me want it. The Nexus One comes close, but no multi-touch and limited memory (piracy my ass) means no purchase from me. Oh yeah, and **** that scroll ball.
The hardware is capable of multitouch, but it is not enabled in the software, same deal as the Droid. You can enable multitouch by using different software.

Is the ball actually a ball, or is it just a rounded button like on the Pre?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 12:57 PM

My wife. She has a Blackberry that does WiFi, but T-Mobile disabled WiFi on it because she doesn't pay for their data plan. I don't understand why they have to be such dicks about it, especially since we it was not subsidized (we are month to month with them; no contract).

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
My wife. She has a Blackberry that does WiFi, but T-Mobile disabled WiFi on it because she doesn't pay for their data plan. I don't understand why they have to be such dicks about it, especially since we it was not subsidized (we are month to month with them; no contract).
Um, why would they disable WiFi? That's stupid on T-Mobile's part since that has nothing to do with their cell network data plan.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 01:08 PM

Wow, all you AT&T haters take note, it's even worse with other providers.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2010, 01:08 PM

Classy.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 01:10 PM

Nexus One sounds like some sort of doomsday device from a bad sci-fi movie.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm waiting for the Nexus Six model:

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 01:33 PM

AT&T is expensive. I wonder what will happen when iPhone exclusivity ends?
I can't use my 3G on T-Mobile.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 02:38 PM

And holy **** it even runs the ANDROID OS.

We're all screwed.
( Last edited by ort888; Jan 6, 2010 at 02:50 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2010, 02:57 PM

Ok, that has me near loling.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 03:02 PM

Too late, we've been running that meme on Twitter since yesterday #NexusPhone

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2010, 03:04 PM

Yeah guys, don't post it on macnn if twitter already did it. You should really know better.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 03:07 PM

Also, does Google really think the term "superphone" is going to catch on?

Ugh.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 03:17 PM

Walt Mossberg apparently likes it.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 03:49 PM

Um, why would they disable WiFi? That's stupid on T-Mobile's part since that has nothing to do with their cell network data plan.
I've tried explaining that to their support folk, but they can't seem to understand it. All I get in response is "Sir, you shouldn't expect to send and receive data without the data plan."

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 03:51 PM

I've tried explaining that to their support folk, but they can't seem to understand it. All I get in response is "Sir, you shouldn't expect to send and receive data without the data plan."
OMG you're kidding. How do companies look at customers with a straight face when saying that?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm releasing a cell phone called the Omega 13. It has an automatic English to Thermian translator.

(Galaxy Quest was a freakin' brilliant movie.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 06:37 PM

I'm going to call my next phone HAL, my username on it will be Dave.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 10:07 PM

What model? The 81xx, 82xx, 88xx, 89xx, and 9700 from Tmo all support wifi. They even support UMA so you can make wifi calls from anywhere without roaming charges.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 11:29 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 12:22 AM

Ahh, they can't help themselves, they are just being Dicks.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules