Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Laptop carrying cases

Laptop carrying cases
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 18, 2010, 03:56 PM

So it turns out that carry-on bags are no longer allowed on international flights going into the US. Or at least that's what the guy in Canada told me as he made me stuff my backpack into my suitcase so it could be checked. I ended up carrying my laptop around all day on its own with my camera, iPod, book, and power supply stuffed into my pockets.

Currently allowed items are laptop carrying cases (no briefcases or backpacks) and small purses (nothing that would actually be useful).

My backpack is old, worn out, and too small anyway, so I'm in the market for a new carrying case.

Here's the catch - whatever I use as a carry on I also use to carry my laptop and tools to a job site. I keep all of my tools in my checked luggage but use the smaller bag to carry them once on location. Because of this, I'd like something that's "expandable." It will seem like a normal laptop bag when traveling but it will hold everything I need it to when I load it up.

Here's what I usually carry:

It all barely fits in what I'd call a medium-sized laptop-specific backpack. I would be an added bonus if the new bag could be carried as a briefcase or a backpack for versatility.

Suggestions?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 06:13 PM

I have zero suggestions, but your multimeter looks exactly like the one I got for $14 on DealExtreme a few months ago.

<edit>

I lied. I have one of these:

http://bbpbags.com/expandit.html

It's crap for a normal laptop bag, but it's extremely slim and compact when it's not in its expanded form - only 3" wide. It'll hold up to a 15" wide laptop, IIRC. Would that work?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 06:31 PM

this is the bad boy i got:

Brenthaven ProLite II Case for 15-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

i use it to carry around 2 laptops (macbook pro goes in the pouch designed for it, lenovo goes in one of the file folder pockets), 2 power supplies, a couple different sizes of cat5 cables, a crossover cable, usb to serial adapter, a dozen or so cds/dvds in a hard case, a mouse and a pretty thick padfolio; that goes in one of the folder pockets to help protect the lenovo.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 18, 2010, 07:43 PM

Is it a Fluke 787? If so, that's a good deal. They're usually $500+ new.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 08:14 PM

Of course not. DealExtreme doesn't sell anything brand-name except refurbished Nintendo hardware, which generally uses crappy third-party enclosures but actual Nintendo innards. Everything else craptastic ripoffs thanks to China's lax copyright laws (or at least lax enforcement of them).

DealExtreme: $14.37 Multimeter Xiole DT9205A Yellow Black Large

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 08:22 PM

hahaha, cause that is something i would want to buy. nice reviews. and i know, i'm sure yours is perfect with no problems and works better then fluke products blah blah blah

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So it turns out that carry-on bags are no longer allowed on international flights going into the US. Or at least that's what the guy in Canada told me as he made me stuff my backpack into my suitcase so it could be checked
Is that official policy, of just some crap random airports are pulling ?
Are you still allowed the one personal item (like a briefcase) ?

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
hahaha, cause that is something i would want to buy. nice reviews. and i know, i'm sure yours is perfect with no problems and works better then fluke products blah blah blah
I never said it was better than brand name products. You don't buy shit on DX because it's better than the brand name it's ripping off. You buy on DX because it's dirt cheap.

That being said, they sell iPhone cables and power adapters that are effectively identical to the ones Apple sells. I haven't had any problems with the ones I got, at least. I haven't had any problems with this multimeter I got, but I also don't really need to use it very frequently.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Possibly current policy for incoming int'l flights because of the underwear bomber...?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I never said it was better than brand name products. You don't buy shit on DX because it's better than the brand name it's ripping off. You buy on DX because it's dirt cheap.

That being said, they sell iPhone cables and power adapters that are effectively identical to the ones Apple sells. I haven't had any problems with the ones I got, at least. I haven't had any problems with this multimeter I got, but I also don't really need to use it very frequently.

Possibly current policy for incoming int'l flights because of the underwear bomber...?
did i say, you said, it was better then fluke? i'm pointing out that the one you bought, based on the site/comments. is crap. who cares if it is cheap? if it doesn't do the job, why bother? i spent some time on the site, i wouldn't never buy anything off of there.

you do, happy for you. not for me though.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2010, 09:12 AM

AFAIK, it's airlines and countries (i.e. it's official policy in Canada for flights to US now).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2010, 10:12 AM

Saddleback Leather Company - Laptop Case Dark Coffee Brown

I prefer the briefcase model, but you said no briefcases.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
AFAIK, it's airlines and countries (i.e. it's official policy in Canada for flights to US now).
If it's only for INBOUND flights to the US, this policy is incredibly stupid.

As if terrorists could never board in the US

-t

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2010, 03:33 PM

Check out some of the cases by Pelican. They make a variety of sizes including some designed specifically for laptops. Though, some might fall into the briefcase category.

Welcome to www.pelican.com Pelican� Products - Manufacturer of high-impact, watertight equipment Protector� Cases and safety approved, technically advanced flashlights

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 05:18 PM

Saddleback does make incredibly good bags. A friend I know who runs a review site has reviewed a number of their products, and she loves them.

Of course, you also have to sell your soul and the head of your firstborn to afford one...

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 11:40 AM

-t

Currently allowed items are laptop carrying cases (no briefcases or backpacks) and small purses (nothing that would actually be useful).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2010, 12:43 PM

Is that from the TSA or an official US website ?
Do you have links ?

I only found links pointing to Canada, so this might just be a Canuckistan thing

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules