Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 'Full Screen' Mode problem

Safari 'Full Screen' Mode problem
Libid21
Jul 12, 2010, 03:44 PM

Hi I'm new to Mac and I'm testing Safari out as a browser other than Firefox. I like it but for some reason when I hit the green button in the top left to make the window bigger, Safari turns into a smaller window and goes to the bottom left of my screen out of the view. So I have to drag it out from under there and put it up and even then it is a smaller window.

Does this happen to anyone else and if so how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2010, 07:25 PM

You're hitting the yellow button. And the green doesn't automatically size the window to full screen - it "sizes to fit" the content of the page.

Strong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2010, 08:11 PM

So thats what the green button does....

there is no maximize button in the mac OS like on Windows, but you learn to live with it quick.

Libid21  (op)
Jul 13, 2010, 02:37 AM

No, you guys don't get what I'm asking. I know that there's no Full screen like in windows and and I'm not hitting the yellow button. I'm saying it gets pushed aside and it goes on teh bottom for some reason. I'll take a screenshot when I can. But I know what I'm clicking the yellow button.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2010, 06:56 AM

If you give the version of OS & Safari will help, have you used hacks of any kind to the system for the buttons? Anyway Red closes the window, Yellow moves it to the Dock & Green enlarges the view top to bottom (not fullscreen)

Some had this glitch can't remember if it was site related there is this to Make the green button set a window to full screen size - Mac OS X Hints but don't try it until this problem is sorted. Since you've haven't use it much try resetting Safari>Reset Safari "or-&" trashing com.apple.Safari.plist in your User>Library>Preferences should be half way down the list.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2010, 07:22 AM

It sounds like the last time you resized a window, you had a higher screen resolution and had the window moved to an area that would be off-screen using the current resolution.

Libid21  (op)
Jul 13, 2010, 05:55 PM

No I never used any different resolutions. I simply noticed it the first time I used the app. I used Mac OS X 10.6.4 and Safari is the latest version. And I use Safari 5.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2010, 06:31 PM

I can reproduce the bug he's having here with Safari 5 (latest nightly build) and 10.6.2. The window would move to bottom left, but still in view.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
... Safari 5 (latest nightly build) ...
You talking about webkit? I don't think there are Safari nightly builds.

Libid21  (op)
Jul 13, 2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I can reproduce the bug he's having here with Safari 5 (latest nightly build) and 10.6.2. The window would move to bottom left, but still in view.
Appreciate it. Lets me know I'm not the only one that's seeing this

Libid21  (op)
Jul 14, 2010, 10:14 PM

So does anyone know how I can possibly fix this? Thanks.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
No, but I have also seen the same behaviour in Safari 5!
I just don't care about it as much as you do, because I almost never use the green button in any window (neither Safari nor the finder) because it rarely does what I would want it to do!

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
You talking about webkit? I don't think there are Safari nightly builds.
Yes.. in my mind Safari is the browser (the front-end) and webkit is the foundation on which Safari runs. Like I'm running aMSN with the latest svn.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
It sounds to me like Safari is remembering a previous position and going back to it. After you push the green button and it does this, have you tried to drag it back and expand the window manually? If you do this, press the green button again to size-to-fit, and then again to see if it goes back to where it was.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules