Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Invisible Shield did not help signal error...

Invisible Shield did not help signal error...
Libid21
Aug 6, 2010, 04:00 PM

I just turned my iPhone 4 on after installing the Invisible Shield from ZAGG a day ago. And I tried the grip (not pressing hard) and it still goes back to 1 bar. I don't know if I did it right or what but there is a layer on top all t he antennas so I don't know what I did wrong?

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2010, 04:21 PM

Invisible shield only protects from the one-finger touch on the black antenna strip, namely the spot where you can bridge the 2 two antenna portions (by touching the spot with one finger,) thereby causing signal loss.

Cupping the iPhone 4 with the death grip will still kill the signal, just as cupping does on numerous other mobiles (although the iPhone 4 will lose much more signal than other phones.) You're shielding the antenna, after all.

Putting a case on the iPhone 4 helps minutely in that you're introducing some distance between your handgrip and the mobile. That's if you're holding it loosely, enough for it to capture some signal.

Libid21  (op)
Aug 6, 2010, 04:29 PM

Meh... I do hold it loosely but it still looses some signal. Maybe I'll buy some cheap-o case protector while I wait for my free case.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2010, 04:51 PM

Yep, if your hand is between the cell tower and the loosely held iPhone 4, you'll lose signal. But it probably won't drop the call, unless you're in a weak signal area. It will throttle down data throughput.

Are you using a headset? Getting a bluetooth headset or using apple's headset helps with phone calls, because you can have the iPhone on the table or in a shirt pocket. That might be a better investment than getting a cheapo case (since you're gonna be getting the free case sometime or other...)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
Meh... I do hold it loosely but it still looses some signal. Maybe I'll buy some cheap-o case protector while I wait for my free case.
Go ahead and waste your money.

No case can compensate for your hands being in the way between the phone and the cell tower.

C'est la vie.

-t

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2010, 07:58 PM

Well, there's one placement for an antenna where your hand wouldn't shield the antenna most of the time: at the top. Landscape mode would be the only time that'd be a problem.

The reason antenna's aren't put at the top is that the radiation is too close to what passes for brains nowadays.

However, what with most folks having headsets, an antenna at the top would be quite acceptable. Like the stub antenna mobiles used to have.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2010, 07:35 PM

you have to be gentle and hold it like an egg...

anyhow, I use the Case Mate 'Barely There'....not bad...even keeps the slim profile of the device....when i get bored...I use a leather pouch....I'm not seeing the antenna issue as much, maybe it's a Canadian thing
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

Forum Links
Forum Rules