Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Just upgraded to M. Lion, first questions

Just upgraded to M. Lion, first questions
jeff k
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2012, 06:33 PM

My mouse wheel works but in the wrong direction. Why? any way to fix that? Logitech. Maybe I'll get used to it?

What happened to Expose? any way now to clear the desktop quickly?

Installed Lion, but where is the software, does it just vanish?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2012, 06:39 PM

All your software is exactly where it was before.

Take your time to look through the system preferences. All your other questions a answered there, and more.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2012, 06:40 PM

1. In System Preferences, go to Mouse and uncheck Scroll Direction: Natural.
2. Exposé has become Mission Control. To move all windows out of the way, hit F15.
3. Mountain Lion installs over and replaces Lion, just as any other install would. If you want to grab a copy of it, open the App Store and click on the Purchases tab. You can download another copy of Lion from there, if you need it.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2012, 07:00 PM

THANKS R.
The mouse tip worked. f15 though is not doing anything. I'm on keyboard made for a G4 mac which I love, I hope that's not it. The other F keys seem to work ok. But what I really got used to was the mouse button I programmed to clear the desktop. That was the beauty of this Logitech. I bought a 3rd party app to control the mouse, but now can't remember what it's called!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2012, 07:19 PM

You should be able to setup your own key for Show Desktop in MIssion Control in the Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts part of the window.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks R, that is working out. Trying to get new logitech driver.

Also:

New finder window default to a funny page that list a bunch of random files, what is that? Can I control it/ Why not default to the last finder window?

Things seem slower now. It took 10 seconds to do a "choose file from desktop action" -- I was doing in Lightroom.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2012, 02:16 AM

As always, you can change the default locations for new Finder windows in the Finder preferences.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2012, 07:46 AM

New issue, 5 of my favorite apps are launching on log in, but they are not in log in items. bizarre.

Did not understand S, my issue with finder window is it default showing all these random files, have no idea what the open window is all about.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2012, 11:02 AM

Finder no longer defaults to your desktop when you open a new Window. It defaults to a smart folder view that shows all your files. You can change this behaviour if you prefer.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2012, 11:07 AM

Excuse the hint of exasperation, but:

What you are seeing is not "random".

Have you even looked in the Finder preferences as I recommended? Or do you need to be spoon-fed every. single. click.?

Apple - and users of this forum - assume that you are able to understand basic interface concepts. My apologies if I try and point you to where you can actually learn about what the **** is going on, by looking at options, rather than just telling you exactly what to do. The hope is that you will be encouraged to actually look for solutions yourself next time.

As for applications reopening after log-in: Try logging out and reading what the OS tells you in the resulting window. Specifically the bit next to the check-box, asking you whether to re-open all open windows on next log-in.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2012, 02:34 PM

S, have not seen such a window asking anything for the log in issue, did not understand that.

I'll take the beating as that finder preference thing did the job. I'm a bit ADD here, apologies.

Check this out, never seen it before. I have a finder window, and the triangles for the folders are gone as are the dividers for the columns, stumped:

6359/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2012, 03:31 PM

Go to the Apple menu.

Click on "Log Out", or on "Restart", or on "Shut Down".

What happens?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2012, 05:41 PM

S, seemed to auto resolve, maybe was some weird code hanging on. thanks appreciate your great help here...

I find the new OS, surprisingly painless so far. Have not tested all peripherals yet, but buy remember the early os 10's, some of those upgrades really made you upside down, so Apple has gotten better with these no?

Would not want to be on Windows right now....

The current weird issue still from post #11. I have some finder windows with no column dividers or folder triangles.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2012, 07:31 AM

Issue came back, consistent. whatever apps are open, return opened after the reboot.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2012, 03:52 PM

You are presented with a dialog box to reopen all windows after a restart.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2012, 06:20 PM

No, the reboot is normal, no dialog box, though I have see that box here or there. Even with no windows open this happens.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2012, 03:47 AM

This is the checkbox:

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2012, 11:17 AM

thanks R. that sign did come up for the first 2-3 times I rebooted in Mountain, but it absolutely does not come up anymore.

Just rebooted and all 5-6 apps that were open and their windows all come up after the reboot was done (they are not in log in items), so seems like a really crazy bug.

Forum Links
Forum Rules