Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can you switch windows in the Finder?

Can you switch windows in the Finder?
motoyen
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 06:29 PM

A friend of mine just switched from PC to Mac and asked me if there is any way to switch between windows in the Finder using the keyboard.

Is there a keyboard command that can do this?

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 10:55 PM

I just know that press Cmd + Tab can switch between application programs in OS 8.5 or later.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 01:58 AM

You can map a couple of scripts to keys in Mac OS 9.1(9.04) and later. The scripts run as follows:

--this moves you to the next window
tell app "Finder"
try--if there are fewer than two windows, we want this to go away silently
set index of window 2 to 1
end try
end tell

--this moves you to the previous window
tell app "Finder"
try--if there are fewer than two windows, we want this to go away silently
set index of window 1 to (count windows)
end try
end tell

Both these scripts must be saved as applications.

(110)

Cipher13
Dec 14, 2001, 05:40 AM

AppleScript is too slow for something like that.

In OS9's with the Window menu (9.2 and later), try Apple-~ (tilde) or Apple-# (any number from 0-9).

Just a guess... worth a shot.

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 02:20 PM

the command key doesn't work. sucks, i hate it when windows can do something mac can't.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2001, 02:50 PM

Man, I wish I was at my Mac! I could swear that simply hitting the Tab key in OS 8 will switch me from one Finder window to another. Now I've got to remember to try that at home.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2001, 03:17 PM

A nice program called "Program Switcher" with allow you to set keys to switch between programs and even between the windows in those programs (very useful for browsers and the finder).

Download the trial version here.

I have used it for many a year and have nothing but good things to say about it. Also you can assign tasks for the functions keys (F1 through F-12) like hiding programs, quiting programs, switching to the finder, switching back to last program.

Excellent utility and very cheap to register (if you do it legally of course )

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: sek929 ]

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2001, 03:44 PM

Just by experimenting I have found that you can scroll up through widows by hitting comman-up arrow, but this only seems to be a one way process. Hitting command-down arrow doesn't seem to do anything.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2001, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Gregg:
<STRONG>Man, I wish I was at my Mac! I could swear that simply hitting the Tab key in OS 8 will switch me from one Finder window to another. Now I've got to remember to try that at home.</STRONG>
Is this in OS 9 or X?
In 9, you can switch between running apps with command-tab. (motoyen: tell your friend to hold down the command key - that's the one next to the space bar with the apple and other weird symbol on it, and press tab).

Someone told me how to change between each open window (not just running apps) in X, but I can't remember. Try some combinations like option-command-tab, or control-command-tab, etc. I'm not at my mac, so I can't try it out.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: jtc ]

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by motoyen:
<STRONG>Just by experimenting I have found that you can scroll up through widows by hitting comman-up arrow, but this only seems to be a one way process. Hitting command-down arrow doesn't seem to do anything.</STRONG>
That's where enter or Command O come in. BTW if you hold down on Option while hitting Command up-arrow, you will close the window behind you

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2001, 01:23 AM

Command+up arrow moves you to the window containing the folder you have open. Command+down arrow opens the selection. For example, if we have

Window 1 esktop
Window 2:Startup Disk window(System Folder icon selected)
Window 3:System Folder window
Window 4:Apple Menu Items window

and window 2 is frontmost then:

1. Command+up arrow takes you to window 1.
2. Command+down arrow takes you to window 3.
3. Option plus either of the first 2 will close window 2 as well.

(112)

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: AppleScript ]

Cipher13
Dec 19, 2001, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by motoyen:
<STRONG>Just by experimenting I have found that you can scroll up through widows by hitting comman-up arrow, but this only seems to be a one way process. Hitting command-down arrow doesn't seem to do anything.</STRONG>
Yeah... command-down on an icon takes you one directory higher; command up takes you one directory lower, as AppleScript said.

I find this the fastest method of navigation via keyboard when used in conjunction with typing the beginning of a files name to highlight it.

Scotto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2001, 04:32 PM

Really quite simply.. APPLE KEY (next to the space bar) keep press and press TAB. Thats all there is to it.. what could be more simpler. SOME PEOPLE ???

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2001, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Scotto:
<STRONG>Really quite simply.. APPLE KEY (next to the space bar) keep press and press TAB. Thats all there is to it.. what could be more simpler. SOME PEOPLE ???</STRONG>
yeah, sheesh, and some people dont read complete threads, or even topics, WE SAID SWITCH BETWEEN WINDOWS IN THE FINDER, not applications.

Forum Links
Forum Rules