Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Geforce2MX in a 9500 or similar?

Geforce2MX in a 9500 or similar?
milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 04:30 PM

Can it be pulled off?

It pisses me off that the the Mac Radeon PCI version still costs around $200 when I can get a comperable Geforce2 for a 1/4 of the price of a radeon.

I think for the hell of it, I'm gonna try it out and see what happens. I'll try to follow what xlr8yourmac.com says about these cards. Thanks.
F = ma

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 07:30 PM

Why?

Save the money and get a new machine come January. I never upgrade my computers other than with RAM and HDs because they fall behind the technology curve too quick.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Dec 10, 2001, 08:53 PM

So, what machine are you running now, cdhostage?

Do you buy a new system every year? Seems kinda expensive to me...
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Dec 10, 2001, 08:56 PM

Double d'oh!

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Dan Szwarc ]
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Brian D Marsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 09:03 PM

GeForce 2 (and 3) are AGP only for Mac (and I think the same is true for wintel)

so you can't use it in any model before the G4 (AGP)

which is probably why ATI can get away with charging as much as they do for the PCI version of the Radeon

milhous  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 10:02 AM

I understand that the GeForce2 MX cards won't work out of the box as I've been doing some research on the issue at xlr8yourmac.com. It seems that no one as of yet has attempted to put a newer video card into an older machine. Seeing that I can pick one of these up for $50 (instead of $200 for the ATI) or so, I think I'm going to try it out eventually. And, if all else fails and it doesn't work, I can just have it in my PC to drive a second display.

The reason that I have even a shred of optimism regarding this topic is because of the fact that these Nvidia cards are hackable by means of flashing it with a Mac-compatible file, etc. Therefore, if one knows what they are doing, they can pull of getting the card to work.

All I want to do for the most part is get my 9500 up to snuff (G3 status) so I can run Classic OS quickly and drive a monitor at true color and high resolution.

If I can pull this off, this will mean that $hit will hit the fan and go directly in ATI's face!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: milhous ]
F = ma

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2001, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>I understand that the GeForce2 MX cards won't work out of the box as I've been doing some research on the issue at xlr8yourmac.com. It seems that no one as of yet has attempted to put a newer video card into an older machine. Seeing that I can pick one of these up for $50 (instead of $200 for the ATI) or so, I think I'm going to try it out eventually. And, if all else fails and it doesn't work, I can just have it in my PC to drive a second display.

The reason that I have even a shred of optimism regarding this topic is because of the fact that these Nvidia cards are hackable by means of flashing it with a Mac-compatible file, etc. Therefore, if one knows what they are doing, they can pull of getting the card to work.

All I want to do for the most part is get my 9500 up to snuff (G3 status) so I can run Classic OS quickly and drive a monitor at true color and high resolution.

If I can pull this off, this will mean that $hit will hit the fan and go directly in ATI's face!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: milhous ]</STRONG>
My two cents: I put a eVGA brand GeForce 2 MX 32 MB PCI card in a G4 tower (533, I think). It worked, with one caveat. I could only get 640x480 resolution. I suspect getting the latest firmware onto it would fix that, but I'm not sure and I didn't have the opportunity to test that. (Took the G4 out of the box, took the GF2 MX, plugged them in-took out Rage128 AGP card and booted.) So, PCI GeForce 2 MX cards can work in Macs. Not sure if they will work correctly in a 9600 or if you would even get all the resolutions. YMMV.

I think this has probably been discussed thoroughly on the xlr8yourmac.com message boards.

CyberDave

itomato
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>
...All I want to do for the most part is get my 9500 up to snuff (G3 status) so I can run Classic OS quickly and drive a monitor at true color and high resolution.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: milhous ]</STRONG>

You can do that, plus let a little splat on Nvidia, by getting an unwanted Voodoo3, 4, or 5 off eBay or a Wintel games site board. For $50 or less, your goals can be realized.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

milhous  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by itomato:
<STRONG>

You can do that, plus let a little splat on Nvidia, by getting an unwanted Voodoo3, 4, or 5 off eBay or a Wintel games site board. For $50 or less, your goals can be realized.</STRONG>
Oh man oh man oh man! Thank you for the wonderful advice, I never even thought of 3DFX for some reason. Just ran a query on eBay and found a boatload of them for sale. The Voodoo5 has 64MB of memory--that BLOWS MY MIND LEFT AND RIGHT! I think I've made my decision now. Thanks again.
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules