Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! Strange freezes on G4 w/9.2.2

Help! Strange freezes on G4 w/9.2.2
malson
Senior User
Dec 26, 2001, 12:26 AM

My Dual 800 has been having some strange freezes the past week or so. I finally got fed up and installed the Macsbug debugger on my system to try and trouble shoot. Anyway, I got home this evening and the machine was locked up solid and dumped to Macsbug. The message said the following:

<font face = "courier"> Bus Error at 4A6A004C
while reading word from 4A6A004C in User data space.
Unable to disassemble from current PC because it is at a bad address.</font>

I did a full stdlog dump and you can view it here. I am too new with Macsbug to make heads or tails of this. I welcome any advice or help anyone can give me.

Edit: Anyone know why the DVD player will not work if you have a debugger installed? I tried playing a DVD and got an error message that told me to remove the debugger and restart. Crap...

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: malson ]
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2001, 02:20 AM

Next time it happens, do 'hc all'. When that comes up, if you find a bad memory address, highlighted in red, type 'dma *address*' and save what it says (save it by typing log *logname* before the process). It'll save to the Desktop.

Now, when this happens again, DMA the User Data stack address (in this case, 'dma 4A6A004C' or whatever).

Dump that to the log also (well, it'll happen automatically).

Were you able to escape the crash using 'g' or 'es' (exit to shell)?

The DVD player won't work with Macsbug installed because it isn't allowed to; you can use a debugger (Macsbug, Timon, whatever) to crack the CSS encryption and bypass it, if you know what you're doing.

Click here to bypass that "security measure".

malson  (op)
Senior User
Dec 26, 2001, 01:07 PM

Cipher,
I will try all of that the next time it goes down. I was not able to escape from the freeze by using g or es. I got back to the desktop but it was frozen solid. Earlier this morning when I got up, the machine was dumped into Macsbug. I tried g but it dumped me right back into Macsbug and said Macsbug caused the exception. I had to restart to get back up and functioning. I tried the DVD hack but it does not work on DVD Player v. 2.7. The strings have been changed. Oh well...
--------------
Moo...

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2001, 08:57 PM

Blah, bloody Macsbug exceptions. They piss me off. Hmm. I'll see if I can patch 2.7 and send you an updater/crack thingy. Will post back soon.

malson  (op)
Senior User
Dec 26, 2001, 09:00 PM

Muchas gracias...

So I come in tonight and the thing locked up about an hour previous. But, that's all it did: lock up. Didn't dump into Macsbug. Hmmm....I'm tempted to just format and reinstall. Damn thing is starting to piss me off...
--------------
Moo...

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2001, 10:49 PM

Grrr. Forker isn't installed. It'll have to wait till next reboot...

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2001, 03:35 AM

DVD Player Helper:
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=7875&db=mac

This will enable any version of Apple DVD Player 2.x to run with MacsBug installed. I use this. Doing the resource editing would result in your changes being wiped out every time you update or reinstall the Apple DVD Player.

(116)

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2001, 04:16 AM

LOL, even better! Thanks for the link

Just gotta boot back to OS9 now...

malson  (op)
Senior User
Dec 28, 2001, 01:09 AM

Well, I figured out what is causing my freezes...it's the new distributed.net RC5 client. It's kinda funny though. The only time it freezes is when both processors simultaneously finish a block. When both a and b (processors) hit 100% it locks up solid. What kind of crap is that? Oh well, I guess I need to grab the earlier version. I thought I had it still but I guess I trashed it. Oh well...
--------------
Moo...

Forum Links
Forum Rules