Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple pulls non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pros from store displays

Apple pulls non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pros from store displays
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 21, 2016, 07:40 AM

Various reports have confirmed that Apple is beginning to remove the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro, the least expensive model, off the floor of its stores, with clerks steering budget-minded customers towards refurbished Retina models instead. The move comes even as expectations rise about a forthcoming refresh of the MacBook Pro line, which is overdue for a specifications bump and may -- according to rumor -- drop the non-Retina model entirely in the next round of possible upgrades, including a move to Skylake processors and new graphics systems.

Other more speculative rumors on possible upgrades include an OLED touch-sensitive bar that would replace the function keys seen in traditional keyboards, and a possible Touch ID sensor built into the trackpad, along with the most likely of suggestions -- the replacement of all the existing ports with up to four combo USB-C 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 connectors to handle all manner of external connections. Intel's latest revisions of Thunderbolt 3 offers 40Gbit speeds and incorporates the 10Gbps USB 3.1 spec in the same slim USB-C type connector, as seen (in an earlier incarnation on the current Retina MacBooks).

OLED function bar replacement concept shot
OLED function bar replacement concept shot

The 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro would be the last Mac model still sold that includes an optical drive, but not the last non-Retina mobile device. The MacBook Air, which is also rumored for an update, is still sold only in non-Retina configurations. It is unclear if the change in retail display of the non-Retina MBP means that Apple is intended to phase out the product, or if the company will continue making the model primarily for educational or institutional buyers, with some sold to online customers seeking a budget model. Unlike most models being phased out, spot inventory checks suggest that the 13-inch non-Retina is still available at retail and online at present.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 21, 2016 at 02:41 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2016, 08:24 AM

Color me skeptical. It's been so long since Apple had a laptop I found appealing, I've given up. Too few ports, no upgrades to RAM, hard to repair even a loose connector, and Ives' weird obsession with thin have left me so indifferent, I pay little attention to the announcements. Once upon a time, with Macs you paid more and got more. Now customers pay more and get less. And what do the rumors say this new one will have? A touch-sensitive bar. Even Steve Jobs' reality distortion machine couldn't make that matter.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Color me skeptical. It's been so long since Apple had a laptop I found appealing, I've given up. Too few ports, no upgrades to RAM, hard to repair even a loose connector,
Amusing that you fail to see the connection here:

No connectors means no loose connectors to repair.

GaryDeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2016, 12:35 PM

"Apple pulls non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pros from stores" -- they are still in the store, still available for purchase, just pulled from display areas. Your headline does not reflect that fact.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2016, 12:48 PM

A touch-sensitive bar would just make the function keys harder to use. There is a reason why buttons work well (Muscle memory, tactile feedback that you are in the right place. Heck, just see how much easer it is to type on a good keyboard with nice concave key-tops and ample space between keys - the feel on the concavity communicates to you when your fingers are properly centered on the key. Small things matter to productivity. Each small thing matters a little but when you add them all up they matter a LOT).

MitchIves
Jun 22, 2016, 02:48 PM

The MacBook Air should have gotten a Retina screen a long time ago. Everybody I know has one and the only thing keeping us from upgrading is the lack of that screen. Of course, since we all want that, Apple will no doubt discontinue it thinking that we'll all just buy low end MacBook. Isn't going to happen...

Forum Links
Forum Rules