Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > On a Small HD Video Camera Hunt...

On a Small HD Video Camera Hunt...
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2009, 03:10 AM

I'm wanting to have a small HD camcorder to take to Kenya as wellas some other recreational trips we'll be going on, and I'm having a hard time nailing down which model to buy -- in many ways, they're all the same! Here's my current list of contenders, all of which give you an idea of the body design and style I'm looking for (read: nothing bigger or with less features)...

Panasonic HDC-TM300K or HDC-HS300K
Canon VIXIA HFS10 or HFS100
Sony HDR-XR500V

I'm not too worried about the built-in memory feature, as it's cheaper to buy 2 SD cards than pay the cost difference. The Sony is supposed to be nice, but I have no experience with Sony gear -- and it takes (of course) Memory Stick rather than SD (which I have boat loads of).

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks!
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2009, 06:27 PM

I have a Canon HF100 and I love it; paying the premium for the 10's built in storage is a terrible value.

DavoMrMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2009, 11:18 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules