Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car people, need your help urgently ! (caution, two big pics)

Car people, need your help urgently ! (caution, two big pics)
euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 03:59 PM

So i posted this on a german discussion forum for car repairing, tuning and so on, but after two weeks of waiting i got no replies at all, so i�m trying it here. My Prob: The engine of my car (1989 Toyota Starlet, EP71, 75 hp, 1.3 litre machine with downdrought carburetor) has severe problems during cold start. The gas/air mixture supplied by the carburetor is so "thin" that the machine initially only runs on two cylinders (probably the ones closest to the intake manifold). The automatik choke for preparation of enriched gas (sorry, not sure, if the technical terms are right, but i think you�ll get the picture) mixture suitable for cold start obviously failes when the temperature drops below 5�C (41� Fahrenheit). How is the enrichment during cold start controlled? Is there a kind of bimetall temperature sensor or something similar? And where have i look for it in the engine compartment/carburetor?

A pic of the engine:

A pic of the air intake of the carb:

What the service did so far: checking the vacuum tubes, that take part in controlling the engine, cleaning the carb with cleaning fluid and pressurized air, but the problem still remains...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 8, 2005, 04:16 PM

Is there a kind of bimetall temperature sensor or something similar?
Probably. Has the mechanic changed this? Most cars this is a sealed unit on the side of the carb.

Could you take the entire air filter cover off? Including the bottom of the air filter housing. I'd like to see the entire carburetor from different angles.

What about a simple carburetor rebuild? It looks clean, but has it been rebuilt?

I will admit readily that I am mostly familiar with US built cars. But most cars aren't drastically different.

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 04:36 PM

What about a simple carburetor rebuild?
You mean, disassemble the carb, cleaning the parts thoroughly and reassembling it? I asked the technician (it was a free garage, not specialized in selling and repairing Toyotas) and he admitted that he was afraid to take apart the carb (loosing parts, damaging something). Carburetors seem to be very picky "organs" of a car engine

For some pics with the air filter housing taken off: i�ll try it tomorrow.
( Last edited by euphras; Jan 8, 2005 at 04:41 PM. )

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 8, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
You mean, disassemble the carb, cleaning the parts thoroughly and reassembling it? I asked the technician (it was a free garage, not specialized in selling and repairing Toyotas) and he admitted that he was afraid to take apart the carb (loosing parts, damaging something). Carburetors seem to be very picky "organs" of a car engine

For some pics with the air filter housing taken off: i�ll try it tommorow.
Carburetors aren't all that complicated. Just a few screws hold them on. Take it off, take it inside to a table with a cloth on it so part don't go rolling around. Use your digital camera so you remember the sequence of disassembly.

A good mechanic shouldn't have any problems at all. I would question any mechanic that can't do a simple carb rebuild.

Forum Links
Forum Rules