Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is the paper portfolio still alive?

Is the paper portfolio still alive?
hart
Senior User
Apr 4, 2011, 10:59 AM

I went to an interview with a head hunter on Friday who had said bring a portfolio (this was primarily a fashion industry firm.) I had kind of a :/ face as I had linked her to my web site which IS my portfolio at this point. I haven't made anything on paper in years. So I load up my web site on my lap top and bring it in anyway.

When I get there another woman had an actual paper portfolio in the traditional black case and they were all gushy about it whereas they had looked kind of . . . less than enthusiastic about my virtual portfolio to the point where they didn't even look at it. I guess I just didn't realize people were still doing that or maybe it's just that the fashion industry is kind of retro. But assuming the paper portfolio is still a factor that means I'd have to get all my stuff printed out somehow.

So is it the fashion industry or is it still standard to bring a paper portfolio to interviews. In what industries? And what is considered appropriate printing methods to translate a digital image to a paper image? I guess I've been all cooped up in my digital shell and I've lost track.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2011, 11:14 AM

I haven't seen a paper portfolio in years. My suggestion would be to invest in an iPad, or Android device if you prefer, then load your portfolio on that.

If they're still stupid after that, change headhunters.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2011, 11:30 AM

Sorry to highjack the thread, but is the colour of the iPad accurate?

I haven't tested it out in that context, as it looks "close enough" for basic web surfing.

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2011, 11:48 AM

If they're not going to look at her laptop, they're not going to look at an iPad either, unfortunately.

I still have my print portfolio, and if I were to go job hunting I'd update it with printouts of my web work, in addition to my online portfolio. Some people like to touch things and see them 100%. HR departments don't always forward on links or PDFs.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2011, 12:39 PM

Never thought about color correction on an ipad. Have to look that up.

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2011, 12:45 PM

My portfolio looks pretty good on the iPad colorwise, in spite of the javascript popup being a little futzy.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2011, 12:51 PM

I think it depends on where you're applying, however, there's something to be said about physically touching and holding the objects in a portfolio. Back when I still did graphic design, I had done various flyers, programs, and tickets for different award shows. People liked to hold the program and open it (which was die cut with a cool cityscape that wasn't readily obvious until you opened it.) Almost everyone would move their fingers over it to feel the texture of the die cut.

For some reason it was the show tickets that got the most handled. People liked to pick them up and look at them.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If they're not going to look at her laptop, they're not going to look at an iPad either, unfortunately.
Not sure if I'd agree with that. Looking at a portfolio on the iPad is a very different experience from looking at a portfolio on a laptop screen - it's far closer to a paper portfolio.

If a web designer would show me her/his portfolio printed out I'd be puzzled, to say the least.

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2011, 03:42 PM

I haven't abandoned print entireely... but the point of this thread is, are there people out there who prefer physical to digital portfolios? The answer is yes, and we need to have both at the ready, or know our audience extremely well.

Looking at my portfolio on the iPad, the images are much smaller than your typical portfolio page. Even accounting for zooming in, etc. Hmm, a factor in my next redesign mayhap.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Apr 4, 2011, 04:09 PM

The last time I was interviewing for jobs, 3ish years ago, I brought a paper portfolio everywhere, and if I were to start interviewing again, would probably do the same. Then again, I'm an in-house designer, and often the people I interview with aren't "techie creative types" who might appreciate the digital version.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2011, 05:32 PM

So how do you print your stuff? Not to sound thick but what is a viable method for printing things aimed at a portfolio?

Thorzdad
Apr 5, 2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
So how do you print your stuff? Not to sound thick but what is a viable method for printing things aimed at a portfolio?
When I need quality print-out of my print work, I go to a couple of small independent print shops I deal with for their best digital outputs. I know their color will be accurate (as opposed to a Kinkos print) and will be on quality paper. I usually provide an optimized PDF for the output.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2011, 08:38 AM

I abandoned print for my portfolio for photography and software design the day I got a small enough laptop. Even better now with the iPad, as now I can actually pass it around rather than force the viewer to lean into a laptop being shoved around a table.

But, I can certainly see fashion as being different. From my perspective, it subscribes to an older school and most of their output is physical-world stuff, so it doesn't surprise me that they might expect a more physical world portfolio.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Apr 5, 2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
When I need quality print-out of my print work, I go to a couple of small independent print shops I deal with for their best digital outputs. I know their color will be accurate (as opposed to a Kinkos print) and will be on quality paper. I usually provide an optimized PDF for the output.
Ditto. Plus, I whenever I'm having pieces printed for work, I always get samples from the printer sent to me, that's just a good idea anyway. So a lot of my pieces are actual samples, not just print outs.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Of course, paper portfolio=$$ whereas a virtual one doesn't really cost anything. I think I'm going to see if I get a lot of requests for a "real" portfolio before I go to the effort.

Forum Links
Forum Rules