Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > alternative to audiophile 2496

alternative to audiophile 2496
rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 03:49 AM

I've just been told that my about to arrive audiophile 2496 is not compatible with the 2005 2Ghz G5, can anyone suggest an alternative card? I didn't want an external box but if this is all that can be used I guess it will have to be. The G5 is a couple of months old now so can't be returned and swapped for the 'compatible' PCI-X model.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 05:46 AM

according to M-Audio's website it should work. who said it wouldn't?

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 06:38 AM

I found a post on the Apple support site and after installing the card 15 minutes ago I can confirm that it doesn't work in a PCI only 2Ghz G5. Agreed on the M-Audio website, I checked there before buying the card. Anyway I need a substitute but I think I've answered my own question - there are none at present!

Erk.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 08:03 AM

what a load of...... i'm fairly new to the music input/output devices, but from what i've seen there doesn't seem to be that many that are solely PCI based. you have either got mid-pro rack-mountable boxes or small portable ones.
I was looking a PCI card myself but thought it best to get either a USB or Firewire device so when i change machines there would be more of a chance it is compatible, especially if i wanted to use a laptop.

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 09:15 AM

I'm waiting for feedback from M-Audio as to the Revolution 7.1 status in the same G5. I've just picked a USB midi adapter to get things going but perhaps it would be worth waiting to see what happens with the X-FI products (and whether there are mac versions)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2005, 05:34 PM

Actually, the *early* dual 2.0 GHz G5 motherboards DO cause problems with certain audiocards.

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 09:48 AM

as do the *late* it would seem

jimi5150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 04:54 PM

If you're going to use something else, go firewire. The M Audio Firewire 410 is a great unit. Very versatile. Another option is to buy a small mixer and adapt the output to the Mac's mini plug input. I do this at home. Mackie, Yamaha, Behringer, Tapco (made by Mackie and what I would recommend) and Samson all make small mixers for around $100. Don't think just cause it's a mini plug that the auido input is anything less than what you'd get from a PCI audio card . . . it isn't. It's just as good. Plus, going this route offers better dirct input control, phantom power, XLR, 1/4 inch, and RCA connectivity.

jimi

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 07:28 PM

Don't kid yourself.

An 80-cent A/D chip built into the motherboard of the Powerbook is NOT going to be as good as, say, an $800 RME Hammerfall PCI card.

However, yeah: as a low-budget alternative, a cheap mixer (stay AWAY from Behringer - a word from the wisened) run into the minijack is certainly an option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules