Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport Reception Powerbook and MacBook Pro

Airport Reception Powerbook and MacBook Pro
jorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 03:40 PM

My roommate bought a MacBook Pro last week, he gets reception in the entire house at full speed, on the other hand my Powerbook, bought last november, the reception is at best marginal. If I'm more than 20 feet a way from the the Linksy's router, no reception. Even that it shows full Wi-Fi bars I can't get online.

Did they improve the MacBooks?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2006, 04:21 PM

PowerBooks have been known to have poor wifi reception for years. With the MBP they've improved, but still aren't as good as some other (plastic cased) laptops.

jorn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 11:25 PM

I know, but the difference between the 2 machines is pretty significant. Almost worth upgrading.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by jorn
I know, but the difference between the 2 machines is pretty significant. Almost worth upgrading.
That improvement can be quite noticeable. I was in one of our regular conference rooms, and my MBP had a decent signal while two different PB12" models in the room could not get any signal.

One of the 'bonus' upgrades.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2006, 01:59 AM

If you've got a PB with a pc-card slot (namely not a 12") then you should get a wireless card with a Broadcom chip. I've use a Buffalo Airstation card (cost $25 at Target, though they no longer carry it) and the reception was excellent.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2006, 04:04 AM

Yup, I can confirm the same thing. There was a dead spot in my house which the 12" PB couldn't connect, now with the MBP, getting 3 bars and surfing well.

Apple moved the antenna to the hinge part and used rubber/plastic to cover it so reception has to improve.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2006, 04:32 AM

I wonder if the Intel move will open the door to pre-n card drivers... although no one seems to be making a pre-n card in ecard 34 format yet

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rm199
I wonder if the Intel move will open the door to pre-n card drivers... although no one seems to be making a pre-n card in ecard 34 format yet
Perhaps we'll see ndiswrapper ported from Linux to OSX to make up for OSX's lack of drivers.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 05:40 PM

is there any new airport driver or anything available to bump up the reception .. can new firmware help the reception?

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 07:05 PM

well, firmware would improve compatibility with various routers, would lessen dropped connections and facilitate reconnecting after sleep, but it won't do much for "range". The only thing that would help reception is a well-designed and well-situated antenna.

Jorn: after re-reading your posts, you definitely should take the AlPB to a Genius Bar if there's one nearby. No way should reception be that bad at 20 feet. Some PBs were reported to need sending to Apple for wireless antenna or motherboard issues and were reported to come back with way better reception

With the previous gen PB you could check the antenna connection to the card thru the battery compartment--it was a bad move on Apple's part to make the card connection inaccessible in the present gen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules