Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Windows Media 11 v iTunes

Windows Media 11 v iTunes
rm199
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2006, 04:35 PM

iTunes finally has some competition (it has been fairly stagnant for a while now) - just using WM11 player in parallels and I really like it. Sure the 'gloss' look is cheezy but the album art viewing is a great way to handle a library IMO.

The best bit? Apple will not let WM11 get a leg up for long...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2006, 04:55 PM

WiMP is an app I hate with feeling. Version 11 no exception. iTunes can be improved a lot but damn compared to the WiMP option it is far superior as a music player. iTunes could be a lot better video player but at least it doesn't make me angry like WiMP.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
WiMP is an app I hate with feeling. Version 11 no exception. iTunes can be improved a lot but damn compared to the WiMP option it is far superior as a music player. iTunes could be a lot better video player but at least it doesn't make me angry like WiMP.

V
Getting angry at software suggests you may have more than a problem with WMP

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 15, 2006, 06:49 PM

iTunes needs a complete overhaul.

If Apple doesn't do something with iTunes in the next couple years, they'll lose this media race.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 07:02 PM

They just need to realize that iTunes shouldn't be the be-all end-all of media applications. Move it back to music only, and launch another program for video. Granted, they'll be integrated pretty tightly, but that's better than the cluster **** WMP has become. Either this, or move iTunes more towards an overarching media application (starting with a new name). Of course, you have to realize that QuickTime plays into this whole situation pretty heavily, which makes for bigger problems than just the interface.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid

So you wouldn't get angry if your toaster burnt your breakfast 5 times out of 8 because it had such a badly conceived interface.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 15, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
They just need to realize that iTunes shouldn't be the be-all end-all of media applications. Move it back to music only, and launch another program for video. Granted, they'll be integrated pretty tightly, but that's better than the cluster **** WMP has become. Either this, or move iTunes more towards an overarching media application (starting with a new name). Of course, you have to realize that QuickTime plays into this whole situation pretty heavily, which makes for bigger problems than just the interface.
That's exactly it. iTunes either needs a huge overhaul to better integrate it's new features (video playback, podcasting, etc.)...right it now it's an interface geared for music with video and podcasting glued to it.

Or, as you said, move iTunes back where it belongs: music. And create a new app or two for podcasting and video.

My worst fear is that Apple wants iTunes for Windows to be exactly the same as the Mac version...this means iTunes will never use CoreAudio features, CoreImage/CoreVideo features (album cover browsing and visualizer effects), Spotlight and other OS features that would fit iTunes perfectly. Kinda sad.

The more Apple waits for an overhaul, the more likely they'll just stick with the old code (kinda like Adobe and Photoshop.) iTunes is starting to feel like the least interesting 1st party app on OS X.

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism
So you wouldn't get angry if your toaster burnt your breakfast 5 times out of 8 because it had such a badly conceived interface.
The second time it did so without a good reason (my own setting problems, the bread getting stuck, etc.) that toaster would be history. No doubt about it. And if I didn't like the interface to start with, I wouldn't buy the thing.

WMP has a (very limited) place and role. iTunes has a (very expansive and helpful) place and role as well. The issues I have with iTunes are very minor when compared to all that's wrong with WMP. For a non-iTunes, Windows song manager, ripper, and CD burner, I use MusicMatch.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism

The two cannot even be compared in this way. oi.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2006, 11:11 PM

I have no problem with iTunes handling of Video and Podcasts other than that I have to create smart playlists to make them play in sequence or shuffled.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
That's exactly it. iTunes either needs a huge overhaul to better integrate it's new features (video playback, podcasting, etc.)...right it now it's an interface geared for music with video and podcasting glued to it.

Or, as you said, move iTunes back where it belongs: music. And create a new app or two for podcasting and video.

My worst fear is that Apple wants iTunes for Windows to be exactly the same as the Mac version...this means iTunes will never use CoreAudio features, CoreImage/CoreVideo features (album cover browsing and visualizer effects), Spotlight and other OS features that would fit iTunes perfectly. Kinda sad.

The more Apple waits for an overhaul, the more likely they'll just stick with the old code (kinda like Adobe and Photoshop.) iTunes is starting to feel like the least interesting 1st party app on OS X.
I agree with most of this. iTunes (like QuickTime) needs to be separated into cross platform and platform specific code. Basically the only code that needs to be cross platform is the ID3 tag parser and the iTMS renderer. All of the UI code could be platform specific. I'd especially like to see iTunes use CoreData for it's database storage. Frankly, the Windows version can keep the existing code, the Mac version would just have to be able to read and export it.

Aside from those points, I'd also like to see iTunes' plugin SDK get a major overhaul. There should be two types of plugins, the cross platform ones, and the Mac specific ones (like the one that uses Quartz Composer). The current SDK is pretty old and nasty (I don't think it's changed much since the first version, which inherited from whichever player it was based on that I can't remember).

willed
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 05:50 AM

The thing is, Apple is never going to make it so that when you plug your iPod in, two seperate apps (or 3 if you want one for podcasting too) start up and all start syncing with the iPod.
Perhaps they should have stuck with the iSync idea - all your syncing in one place. Then they would be able to have as many different media apps as they wanted which could all sync with only that one app running.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Yes, not only to I have a problem with WiMP - I have an issue with it as well

Back to the ground: I think it has horrible horrible interface and I don't like the Windows Media format. mp3, mp4 are fine but wma or wmv, no thanks. A matter of taste perhaps, but yeah. I really don't like WiMP.

V

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006, 10:59 AM

I love how the windows vista / wmp11 promo site doesn't work in safari. How can you win me back if you don't let me view your site MS?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
iTunes needs a complete overhaul.

If Apple doesn't do something with iTunes in the next couple years, they'll lose this media race.

I agree with you. It looks like an OS9 App. The text on the left is to small and all around it just LOOKS boring.

Apple should really use that front row look where it has a black background and has the album covers with automatic reflections.

You can then browse your music as if you were flipping though your CDs.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
You can then browse your music as if you were flipping though your CDs.
Agreed. iTunes should have something like Coverflow. Make some use of the album covers.

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

V

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The text on the left is to small.
iTunes→Preferences→General

Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
iTunes→Preferences→General
I know that but either way it comes off as blending in and unimportant.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Agreed. iTunes should have something like Coverflow. Make some use of the album covers.

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

V
Well the look is the right idea but browsing your music like that is a pain in the ass.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by willed
The thing is, Apple is never going to make it so that when you plug your iPod in, two seperate apps (or 3 if you want one for podcasting too) start up and all start syncing with the iPod.
Perhaps they should have stuck with the iSync idea - all your syncing in one place. Then they would be able to have as many different media apps as they wanted which could all sync with only that one app running.
Perhaps iSync could be accessed from within these apps, much like how address book can be accessed from within Mail. There could even be a Menu Extra for it... oh wait, there already is. Instead of iTunes, iSync would automatically open and sync whatever you had told it to (music playlists, videos, calendars, addresses, etc.).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules