Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ?

Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ? (Page 4)
smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
It looks like the problem I had earlier about the brushed metal window title not showing up is just a glitch in ThemePark. I was about to post a new thread asking how to fix this problem, but decided I better test it outside of theme-preview first. I'm using the theme right now and it works fine for finder and safari (both of which are brushed metal) so I guess I don't need to worry about it.
It's not a glitch in ThemePark. If you make your metal window bevels larger than the default, they'll cover the window title. This is because the operating system draws the metal window background first, then the window titles, and then the bevels. If the bevels are large enough to cover the title, you're SOL.

You don't see this in Finder because it's Carbon. You don't see it in Safari because Safari does all sorts of voodoo with its metal window and ShapeShifter does all sorts of voodoo to make it look like all other metal windows.

You'll see it in an iChat window, though.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
It's not a glitch in ThemePark. If you make your metal window bevels larger than the default, they'll cover the window title. This is because the operating system draws the metal window background first, then the window titles, and then the bevels. If the bevels are large enough to cover the title, you're SOL.

You don't see this in Finder because it's Carbon. You don't see it in Safari because Safari does all sorts of voodoo with its metal window and ShapeShifter does all sorts of voodoo to make it look like all other metal windows.

You'll see it in an iChat window, though.
So, should I worry about it? ProLCD Blue uses the same method I am using (and yes, the iChat titles are gone) but everyone loves ProLCD. No-one seems to notice and/or care. Is it only iChat? Probably not, but if it is then I can live with it 'cause I never use iChat.

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 01:17 AM

So, should I worry about it? ProLCD Blue uses the same method I am using (and yes, the iChat titles are gone) but everyone loves ProLCD. No-one seems to notice and/or care. Is it only iChat? Probably not, but if it is then I can live with it 'cause I never use iChat.
It's pretty common to do this. People bitch that the titles are gone, but seem to love the effect more than they care that they're missing their titles.

There's nothing "dangerous" about doing it - if you like the effect, and don't care that it covers the window titles, knock yourself out.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2004, 02:08 AM

I can't stand not having the iChat titles... but that's just me...

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 10:19 AM

Ok then unless to many people complain then Im leaving the bevels the way they are. They do not bother me.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 10:44 AM

Ok then unless to many people complain then Im leaving the bevels the way they are. They do not bother me.
A small sacrifice to make to have an amazing looking theme

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 07:46 PM

Tabs, Segement Tabs, Butted Bevel Button, and Finder Toolbar. Thats all I have left. I'v been working on Avenger every spare minute I have and I am almost done, But I do need to go back and make the push buttons shorter and make the menubar have the silvery clicked bevel thing-a-ma-jigs. After That comes Beta testing, then bug fixes, then release to public, then complaints/errors/more bugs, then re-release.

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2004, 09:21 PM

*submits resume for beta tester*
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by afphreak01:
*submits resume for beta tester*
OK, everyone who has been following this post from the beginning can be beta testers if they want to. Someone already reserved a spot as a tester about a week ago and I forgot who. *kicks self*

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2004, 11:32 AM

can i be a beta tester too ?

thanks

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 12:47 PM

OK, everyone who has been following this post from the beginning can be beta testers if they want to. Someone already reserved a spot as a tester about a week ago and I forgot who. *kicks self*
Me too!

digitaljames AT MaC dOt cOm

cryptic huh?

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2004, 01:19 PM

knuthad *at* earthlink *dot* net.

pleeeeaaassseee ;-)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 01:21 PM

If you need me to test, I'm: n at my site's .com (click my sig image)
click one

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 02:53 PM

Me four,
aukkonen At mac dot com

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2004, 03:29 PM

aye, me too if possible.
irrgang [at] gmail d0t com

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 04:57 PM

OK, thats almost enough testers. I didn't think everyone would want too, but I guess I was wrong. Anymore requests can be PMed to me. this is cluttering up the forum.

BTW: some of the people I have never seen here before will not be beta-testers. Sorry guys, but the people who have been with this from the beginning get first dibs.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 7, 2004 at 05:14 PM. )

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 08:31 PM

Hello I saw your post and if is already closed is fine, currently i am on 2 other projects and would welcome a chance to add some ideas and or try it out and let ya know wassup with the theme your developing.

Either good luck man
Makki

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 08:32 PM

edited

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 10:10 PM

I am still working every chance I get, but those dang segmented tabs and segmented buttons are about a million images each. Its taking a while, but I AM planning on having this theme ready by the 17th (school start date). At least the beta anyway. I was about to do the "preview" screenshot for the ShapeShifter PrefPane when I realized I still don't have the silvery bevels! So I finished those, they were easy. I really like them. I think it is a good match for the theme. It makes a kind of negative look for the selected item. The selected menu title becomes light from dark; and the selected menu item becomes dark from light. Check out the screenshot:
<SNIP>
and the apple menu looks a lot like the one everyone agreed on. Is it just me or is the "A" off center a little bit? A Little to the left?
<SNIP>
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:49 AM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 11:26 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also need to do the menubar extras. Airport status and script menu look pretty ugly right now. As soon as I get the major parts of the theme done I will release the beta to the testers. and get to work on the little details. and eventually I am planning on adding a few app skins. (itunes and safari first)

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 12:43 AM

It's looking good, I like the recessed appearance.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 04:53 PM

NetworkShadow: clean out your PM box so I can PM you to ask what the heck your e-mail address is! or you could just e-mail me at "kmu\rphy (at) murphyscamera.com" without the slash or the spaces

<edit> I think I sent everyone the beta if i guessed NetworkShadow's e-mail right. I still need makki's e-mail also.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 11, 2004 at 05:09 PM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:01 PM

Since the beta was released I have finnished the "Little Arrows" and the "butted Bevel Buttons". I also fixed a few things I was planning on doing before the release but forgot about them until digitaljames reminded me. Thanks DJ.

New Growboxs:
<SNIP>

New Selected Menu Item Highlight (less square, same round shape as "Root Menu Item Selected")
<SNIP>

"Little Arrows":
<SNIP>

Im not going to show you the Butted Bevel Button because its terrible
I'll let you know when I get it right.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:48 AM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:07 AM

I finished re-re-doing the push buttons. they are the exact same dimensions as the aqua buttons so they should not overlap now. I also made a slight design change to them. The beta release includes buttons with a gradient behind them to create the illusion of inset buttons. This effect was from the mockup PSD I have ben using for just about every element. In that Mockup the background is a dark color and the gradient behind the buttons looks great, but on the new lighter shade I am using it looks like a mistake. Here's the too side by side (old on the left, new on the right):

<SNIP><SNIP>
BTW Any beta testers who didn't get there copy yet need to e-mail me, the address is a few posts up from this one.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:48 AM. )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 01:19 AM

This is looking kick @$$!!!! Very much looking forward to the final release. Keep it up.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 02:10 AM

I like the attention to detail you are putting into this. The growboxes in most themes I see are the bog standard ones. Perhaps some of them are recoloured to fit the theme but otherwise have the standard look.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 04:46 PM

OK, I'm running out of things to work on. What else needs work? beta testers? I'v only heard back from one beta tester so far. the rest of you need to give me some feedback. I'm about to be done with beta version 0.2 now if you have no more suggestions. Then I will get to work on a safari theme.

Question: Do you guys think the window background should be darker? DJ mentioned it was a bit too much contrast between the background shade and the titlebars. What do you think?

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 12:11 PM

this is the part i dont like ... criticising something i love

anyway : i hope this is only me ... but do the widgets and the frames seem too rough ? i was looking at the original avenger for windows and everything seemes to be smooth. For example : original widgets look nicely "fitted" into grooves ... osx widgets seem to be "forced" into grooves.

the window title looks a little below the radar.

this is all i have come up with for now.

did i mention how much i love this also ?
thanks for your hard work.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

yeah, there's a lot of little things wrong with the title bars so I'm gonna just do them over completely. I have made a small to-do list here so you all can see what I am still working on.

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 08:29 PM

Hi i finally am back from being away and have now had the chance to load up the beta.

So far all i have noticed has already been mentioned here so i kinda dont want to post old news and be told oh thats already a known issue.

Titlebar text seems like it could be perhaps not so close to the silver line underneeath the text. Maybe it is just me.

Ill keep you posted.

Makki

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 10:50 PM

one of the amazing things about following this port is the status report being provided by macman4000. except for the brief period when he was "away" (and you are never doing that again young man!), it has been a constant ride towards completion. although macman4000 has been doing all the hard work, i feel like i have been involved in some way/form or the other just by following the thread.

i guess what i am saying is that in this case ... the journey seems to be almost as exciting as actually arriving

thanks for the ride.
( Last edited by aquaslave; Aug 17, 2004 at 12:41 PM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
one of the amazing things about following this port is the status report being provided by macman4000. except for the brief period when he was "away" (and you are never doing that again young man!), it has been a constant ride towards completion. although macman4000 has been doing all the hard work, i feel like i have been involved in some way/form or the other just by following the thread.

i guess what i am saying is that in this case ... the journey seems to be almost as exciting as actually arriving

thanks for the ride.
Thanks for the complements. Your welcome for the ride. I have been posting a lot because I feel like a little kid showing his mom a finger painting from school and I get to hang it on the fridge, but now its not a fridge, its online.

Heres some more for the ride.

New ScrollBars:
<SNIP>
I know they were not on the to-do list, but they were kinda plain. After some inspiration from DaveO and the original windows theme screenshot I decided to add endcaps.

(I also realize that the 1 px black line is missing along the edge of one side of the end of the scroll background near the end. I will fix that.)
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:47 AM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:13 PM

Im also gonna re-do the arrows. To make them the same shape as aqua, but in Avenger colors.
Heres the mock-up:

<SNIP>
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:47 AM. )

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:58 PM

Im also gonna re-do the arrows. To make them the same shape as aqua, but in Avenger colors.
Heres the mock-up:

That looks good there MacMan4000

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 11:11 PM

ok, I'm back in school now so the work is going to slow down quite a bit. but don't worry, I 'm not gonna forget about it! I will work everyday even if it is just for an hour. (hopefully/usually it will be more)

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 04:42 PM

sorry for the bump .. but i just hate the idea of this thread going awol from the first page

macman4000: u should get special recess from school just so u could finish this port

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
macman4000: u should get special recess from school just so u could finish this port
I wish!

I haven't done much lately, but I haven't forgotten about it either. I am working when I can, but a half hour here and there takes a while to add up.

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 08:46 PM

didnt' mean to put any pressure ... take as much time as you like. i just wanted to see this thread in the first page .. is all

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 02:27 PM

Update!
I have finished re-doing a few things on the to-do list. I also converted the todo list to html so firefox users can see it in the browser with out downloading it. I would have done this sooner but since safari just opened it in the browser i figured all browsers would.

I re-did the menubar gradient and the "root menu item selected" because the shadows were a bit too dark.

The other things I fixed are the drop down menus, and the tabs. the drop down menus are the same gradient as the push buttons now (lighter) so it is easier to read. You will notice the tabs are not yet crossed out in the to-do list, that is because they are only about 50% done right now. (so...... many... IMAGES!!!!)

Also I snipped all the images from my previous posts because the folder they were in was also my images folder for random forum images and all my website images and it was getting kinda crowded. Now I have a directory just for the avenger images .

Hope you guys like the changes. More to come soon.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 02:37 PM

OMG HAWT!!!

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:00 PM

Wow, that's looking seriously slick!

eFX
Aug 30, 2004, 10:22 AM

Indeed it is i dig the scrollbars and progress. You certainly made it way cool compared to first few pages rock on!

Oh did i mention slick DETAIL!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 05:36 PM

I decided to take a small break from the themeing just long enough to give the
to-do list list page some GUI goodness. But I'm am rturning to the theme project now.

<EDIT> I know the colors are slightly off for part of the window, but I'm not gonna worry about it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 10:20 PM

OK, I just finnished something on the to-do list in 5 seconds flat! I think it was Dave-o who brought it to my attention that in the theme preview the arrows on the bevel-button-drop-down menu were kinda low and to the right a little bit. Well I found out whice arrow is used for that and I haven't messed with it. So I checked to see it my bevel buttons were that far off from the aqua bevel buttons. Here is what I found:

The aqua arrows look the same. kinda low and to the right a little bit. So I'm not gonna worry about it.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 08:57 AM

OK, I just finnished something on the to-do list in 5 seconds flat! I think it was Dave-o who brought it to my attention that in the theme preview the arrows on the bevel-button-drop-down menu were kinda low and to the right a little bit. Well I found out whice arrow is used for that and I haven't messed with it. So I checked to see it my bevel buttons were that far off from the aqua bevel buttons. Here is what I found:

The aqua arrows look the same. kinda low and to the right a little bit. So I'm not gonna worry about it.
Must have been the image. Sorry for making you look into it.. but i'm just playing quality control for this theme. MacMan get ahold of me please... Thanks..

eFX
Sep 1, 2004, 02:58 PM

I decided to take a small break from the themeing just long enough to give the
to-do list list page some GUI goodness. But I'm am rturning to the theme project now.

<EDIT> I know the colors are slightly off for part of the window, but I'm not gonna worry about it.
I hope you make widgets like this inset even thought yours is still looking real good it dont quite feel right from looking at the real thing see... avenger dialog

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by eFX:
I hope you make widgets like this inset even thought yours is still looking real good it dont quite feel right from looking at the real thing see... avenger dialog
yeah, I know... more to add to the list. It seems like every time I get something done I have to add more to the list.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 04:13 PM

I have made some noticeable progress this weekend (finally) and just wanted to bump this thread to make sure it stays on the first page. () I also added a new way for you guys to make sure I keep working. The link in my sig. It will show you a (small) screenshot of my current desktop,. It is automatically updated every 5 minutes. So if you guys see me wasting time here on the MacNN boards too much then please send me an angry PM telling me to get back to work. I have been slacking lately and I think this new desktop thing will help me stay busy on Avenger, because it is like having everyone looking over your shoulder making sure you are working.

In case you have sigs turned off This is the link I am talking about.

<EDIT> also check out the to-do list. I have finished lots of things, but I can't remember what is new, so just check there for progress.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 5, 2004 at 05:21 PM. )

eFX
Sep 5, 2004, 04:42 PM

heh class, MacMan

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 11:22 PM

*nudge* *nudge*
t'was dangerously close to being pushed out to the second page. cant have that now, can we ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules