Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Avenger Public Beta v.0.3

[ANN] Avenger Public Beta v.0.3
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 08:09 AM

Introducing The Official Mac OS X Port of Avenger, a Windows theme by Mike Bryant.
Anyone who has followed this thread will know it has been a long project for me. The theme itself is finally complete (unless I missed something) EXCEPT for the app skins. That is why I am still calling this a beta release and not a full 1.0 release.

Click the image for a full screen shot

Click here to download

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 08:40 AM

Congrats MacMan!!!!

You did an awesome job on this theme, and i'm proud of you sticking with it's creation of the many months it took you to make!

Dodgy77
Sep 29, 2004, 08:52 AM

Well done for persevering for so long. If something takes more than 3 days I give up .

Flinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 09:17 AM

Nice theme. Very sleek and usable.

Congratulations

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
...and i'm proud of you sticking with it's creation of the many months it took you to make!
Abso-freakin-lutely!!!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 10:39 AM

can someone please (pretty please) post some screenshots ? I am at work and I dont think I can hold on until evening before I can see this beauty in action

Many thanks to macman4000 and of course to Mike Bryant (who started it all with his windows theme).

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2004, 12:07 PM

I gotta hand it to ya mate, you stuck to it, it looks great.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 03:36 PM

Looks fantastic! Thanks for working it up and sharing it with us.Do some more!
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 03:50 PM

looks like you moved up those titlebar buttons. ::cough::

it looks good. only things i don't like about it are that the titlebar buttons always show the stuff inside and the unsaved titlebar dot looks off center, but that could be an optical illusion. good job.

(does this post past your tact-o-meter bluevertical?)

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 06:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for there support and complements!

Originally posted by aquaslave:
can someone please (pretty please) post some screenshots ?
Click the picture in the first post.

Originally posted by fireside:
looks like you moved up those titlebar buttons. ::cough::
I didn't touch the title buttons after the first time I posted the changed version. If you don't believe me then take a look at the old screenshot from the old thread and compare. Seriously, there is NO WAY to make them higher without resizing the image file. If you resize the image then the buttons get spaced out wrong in cocoa/carbon apps. ask smeger if you don't believe me. Jesus H. Christ, let it go!

crooner
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Abso-freakin-lutely!!!
What he said.

Great work!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 06:40 PM

aahhhh..... looks very schmooove.

can't wait to try it out (after it finishes DL'ing...)

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 06:44 PM

Yes, Very nice. Congratulations on a job well done.

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I didn't touch the title buttons after the first time I posted the changed version. If you don't believe me then take a look at the old screenshot from the old thread and compare. Seriously, there is NO WAY to make them higher without resizing the image file. If you resize the image then the buttons get spaced out wrong in cocoa/carbon apps. ask smeger if you don't believe me. Jesus H. Christ, let it go!
okay so the metal buttons are lower than the carbon/cocoa. don't kill me (but i do think they look higher).

LBoogie
Sep 29, 2004, 07:49 PM

Congratz on finishing this theme MacMan Most excellent work

Ice Spectre
Sep 30, 2004, 10:45 AM

Great job!

Can anyone recommend a suitable to for this theme (for use is silk), preferably like the font on the included wallpaper?

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 03:21 PM

The font for the "A" in the apple menu and the "A" in the desktop image is called "airlock". I don't remember where I got the font, but Google helped a lot. BTW It only has capital letters, all the other letters just look like normal borring font.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 03:40 PM

Awesome, awesome theme. Looks wonderful. I do have a couple minor nitpicks, but I'll try to make them constructive at least. First, it seems that the menu enhancer code doesn't work with menu extras; the rounded end caps simply don't exist, and the icons extend beyond the top and bottom of the little grey capsule thing. I know this is a difficult thing to fix, so my proposed solution would be to make a simpler menu variant (I'd make the menu highlight look like the leftmost part of the title bar).
Also, the group box and a few other elements seem to be lit from the top left... while this is, I'm sure, faithful to the original Windows version, the light source in OS X comes straight down from the top, so I think it would be best to change the bevels to make them conform with the rest of the theme.
Other than that, though, I really have no complaints... the theme rocks.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
Awesome, awesome theme. Looks wonderful. I do have a couple minor nitpicks, but I'll try to make them constructive at least. First, it seems that the menu enhancer code doesn't work with menu extras; the rounded end caps simply don't exist, and the icons extend beyond the top and bottom of the little grey capsule thing. I know this is a difficult thing to fix, so my proposed solution would be to make a simpler menu variant (I'd make the menu highlight look like the leftmost part of the title bar).
Also, the group box and a few other elements seem to be lit from the top left... while this is, I'm sure, faithful to the original Windows version, the light source in OS X comes straight down from the top, so I think it would be best to change the bevels to make them conform with the rest of the theme.
Other than that, though, I really have no complaints... the theme rocks.
The menu backgrounds for selected menu extras is actually a different resource completely. The end-caps wont work with them, but I can make a different background for them, maybe one without a bevel.

speaking of menu extras, I am planning on doing a few 3rd party app mods to make there menu extras show up white to match the other menu extras. Im planning on including Konfabulator, gcount, Synergy (if I can find the resource), and anything else you guys suggest.

I am also noticing a few small problems with the theme myself. For example, the titlebar buttons in small titlebars are not all lined up right. As seen here in the font window:

Do you guys want me to move the middle one up or the other two down?

fireside: before you get all pissed about how the buttons can be moved up and down I want to point out that the smaller titlebar buttons have 1 extra pixel to move up and down. The full size buttons do not. So don't throw a hissy fit.

VxWolfxV
Sep 30, 2004, 04:04 PM

Could you do one for GrowlTunes?

Information on what growl is can be found here:

www.growl.info

Great Theme

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 04:15 PM

*Stunned* GREAT JOB!

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 04:23 PM

I am also noticing a few small problems with the theme myself. For example, the titlebar buttons in small titlebars are not all lined up right. As seen here in the font window:

Do you guys want me to move the middle one up or the other two down?
It is your call ultimately but as long as your askin' - - -> middle one up

it won't disrupt the look of the highlight as much as the shadow but as long as they all match, it don't really matter.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by VxWolfxV:
Could you do one for GrowlTunes?

Information on what growl is can be found here:

www.growl.info

Great Theme
For a temporary fix for GrowliTunes do this:

-right click (control click) no the growlitunes application (not the menu extra, the application itself) and choose "show package contents"
-go to Contents / Resources
- swap the names of "growlitunes.tif" and "growlitunes-selected.tif"

This is just a temporary fix and only looks OK. I will make a better version that looks better when I get the chance.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 05:17 PM

OK, I fixed the small titlebar buttons, moved the middle one up. and changed the menu extras selected background.

I took Phoenix1701's advice and used the same gradient as the left end of the titlebars.

Edit: forgot to mention... the new version with the fixed stuff is now online. Same link as listed in the first post. I didn't change the version number though. i DID take all those Icons out and just put a link in the read me file. The download went from 4 point sumthin MB to about 700 Kb!!

Re-Edit: On a side note... Im on MacThemes!!!!! woo hoo! Which reminds me... my website is ugly as sin! I need to fix that before too many people see it! I have also submitted Avenger to InterfaceLIFT but it is not up yet.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 30, 2004 at 05:29 PM. )

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 07:26 PM

Looks hot! Way to persevere and get it done. Also, great job fending off trolls

Next time I'm in the mood for a dark theme, I'll be all over this!

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 09:21 PM

The font for the "A" in the apple menu and the "A" in the desktop image is called "airlock". I don't remember where I got the font, but Google helped a lot. BTW It only has capital letters, all the other letters just look like normal borring font.
I found the font at TypeNow.net (scroll down to it, they are in alphabetical order).

speaking of menu extras, I am planning on doing a few 3rd party app mods to make there menu extras show up white to match the other menu extras. Im planning on including Konfabulator, gcount, Synergy (if I can find the resource), and anything else you guys suggest.

Can you do Adium's Menu Extra? It's black when unselected and hard to see on the menubar. And, if you need to know, the files for that are inside the Adium bundle's resources and the files are:
adium.png
adiumHighlight.png
adiumRed.png
adiumRedHighlight.png

nanovivid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 09:55 PM

I've been using the theme for a couple days now and it's great. I'm very much enjoying it. :-)

I do have a few requests...

1. Is there any chance for a light menubar version?

2. Did you ever get around to the indeterminate progress spinner? It's not skinned in the beta and I would love to see it in the final.

3. I was wondering about the possibility of a variant with standard OS X titlebar glyphs instead of the windows ones. Something kind of like this perhaps (just a messy mockup): .

Thanks so much for all your hard work... this is an incredible port! :-)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
*Stunned* GREAT JOB!
I agree .. as MoS would say .. New Hotness

btw, demograph68, nice sig =)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 04:47 PM

i'm liking nanovivid's glyphs a lot ... a variant with the new glyphs would be terrific.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
i'm liking nanovivid's glyphs a lot ... a variant with the new glyphs would be terrific.
OK, I'm thinking about doing this as the "graphite version and keeping the other ones as "blue". Is that OK? I don't really want to make a full-on variant because it makes the file size double.

nanovivid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2004, 09:36 PM

OK, I'm thinking about doing this as the "graphite version and keeping the other ones as "blue". Is that OK?
It would be fine with me since I always use graphite anyway.

nanovivid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 10:19 AM

I found a small issue with the Bluetooth menu extra. Observe:

It just looks a little weird next to the other nice ones.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by nanovivid:
I found a small issue with the Bluetooth menu extra. Observe:

<SNIP>

It just looks a little weird next to the other nice ones.
yeah, thats ugly. I'll work on that. Those of you who didn't read the old request thread for this theme might wanna check out this. Its the to-do list for Avenger. I will be updating it every time I find a mistake or every time I fix a mistake. If you know of something thats not on there please email me to let me know. My email address is on that page.

deej5871
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 11:03 PM

Has anyone noticed a 1 pixel line across the top of the selected bottom scroll button (I know that may be confusing, but I can't seem to get a screen cap of it while it's selected)?

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 04:33 PM

anyone else notice the delay login time when using this theme? Might just be my imagination though
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 10:58 PM

Kick ass. A good Windows theme?!
Whatever. It looks great and you did some good work on this. Being a beta, there are some issues.
1. I second another version of the theme with windows variants. Wait�scratch that. Do what max did with the XP theme and have a graphite version with different widgets.
2. The Active Small Round Button Momentary Push-In. Sorry for the long name, but it seems like 1 px is missing. Or it might just be me.
3. Those gray tabs look like a direct inverse of the black. It doesn't look so good. I think I fix would be using Levels to brighten the tabs alot more so it has shadow and highlights like the black one, but brighter.
4. Ditto for the square buttons.
5. I'd probably darken the scroll bar like the title bars.
6. I think the menu bar highlights are really good , but the menu highlights�the shadowy black ones�looks a little weird. I'd probably try something different for those.
7. AppSkins! Even Safari and iTunes aren't skinned.

Other than that, this theme is absolutely worth a download and permanent use. Keep up the good work.
Any plans for different variants?

Oh yeah, anyone got a good pixel fonts that aren't too far from Lucide Grande, but still different?

[Edit] Are the buttons off center or something or is it just me?
( Last edited by CreepingDeth; Oct 7, 2004 at 01:05 AM. )

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Kick ass. A good Windows theme?!
Whatever. It looks great and you did some good work on this.
thanks

1. I second another version of the theme with windows variants. Wait�scratch that. Do what max did with the XP theme and have a graphite version with different widgets.
Im planing on doing this

2. The Active Small Round Button Momentary Push-In. Sorry for the long name, but it seems like 1 px is missing. Or it might just be me.
3. Those gray tabs look like a direct inverse of the black. It doesn't look so good. I think I fix would be using Levels to brighten the tabs alot more so it has shadow and highlights like the black one, but brighter.
4. Ditto for the square buttons.
5. I'd probably darken the scroll bar like the title bars.
6. I think the menu bar highlights are really good , but the menu highlights�the shadowy black ones�looks a little weird. I'd probably try something different for those.
looks fine to me, not gonna be changed. Your too picky.

7. AppSkins! Even Safari and iTunes aren't skinned.
if you pay attention to this thread and read the read me you wouldn't have mentioned this.

Other than that, this theme is absolutely worth a download and permanent use. Keep up the good work.
thanks.

Any plans for different variants?
no.

Oh yeah, anyone got a good pixel fonts that aren't too far from Lucide Grande, but still different?
no.

[Edit] Are the buttons off center or something or is it just me?
where is that image taken from? This might be worth fixing.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 08:35 PM

Yeah, I guess so.
Just wanted to know when I can see the app skins.

That image is from the Finder "Find" Window on the bottom right of the window. It appears that either you have the resources set a pixel or two off or the + and - are.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 10:05 AM

For a temporary fix for GrowliTunes do this:

-right click (control click) no the growlitunes application (not the menu extra, the application itself) and choose "show package contents"
-go to Contents / Resources
- swap the names of "growlitunes.tif" and "growlitunes-selected.tif"

This is just a temporary fix and only looks OK. I will make a better version that looks better when I get the chance.
If you guys need something more perm in the app let us know

VxWolfxV
Oct 19, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
If you guys need something more perm in the app let us know
Would it be possible to be able to choose the color of the menu item? Whether it be White, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc. This would allow it to go better with some themes out there...

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by VxWolfxV:
Would it be possible to be able to choose the color of the menu item? Whether it be White, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc. This would allow it to go better with some themes out there...
I'll talk to some of the devs on it, probably not a bad suggestion. Either that or selecting icons would be cool.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 02:08 PM

updated to version 0.4 Check it out

Algernnon
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 02:19 PM

updated to version 0.4 Check it out
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This is one of my favorite themes. The attention to detail is phenomenal!

I'm with stupid
---->

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 06:24 PM

hmmm, I expected more of a response... should i make a new ANN thread? I wasn't going to...

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 07:18 PM

yes, i'd say it deserves a new thread. conisdering that this is a large update, no? fully updated to take advantage of SS 2?

i saw this at the top of the forum and thought "hey, why's this old thread coming up?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules