Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Pleasure Thread

The Minor Pleasure Thread (Page 5)
Thorzdad
Jan 26, 2024, 01:59 PM

TIL that a group of rays (the cool fish) is called a fever.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2024, 09:47 PM

Midscale chain restaurant Uncle Julio’s freshly made tortilla chips.

Thorzdad
Jan 28, 2024, 10:55 AM

My 6s received a small security update over the weekend. 15.8.1.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 29, 2024, 10:07 PM

Thorz, those are great. Both of those numbers can quietly sneak up on you and then suddenly you have a BIG problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2024, 02:06 AM

This right turn in Lincoln Park.

You can kinda get a racing line through it, which sets you up nicely for the road banking left.

Sadly, there’s a crosswalk at the end of the curve, so I can’t really floor it out of the turn.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2024, 06:50 AM

Just reflashed my Blu-ray drive with LibreDrive firmware. No DRM. Ripping the not-dubbed Ghost in the Shell 4K remaster as I type.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 12, 2024, 12:53 PM

I just saw the desktop Google page offer a "Perspectives" tab for search results. Apparently this filters results to primarily show things like forum posts. If this really works, it will be a revelation to my search irritants, as nearly every result for most things I search for are items for purchase, not answers to my questions. Cautious minor pleasure?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2024, 07:37 PM

Sooooo much better than the Stanley stubbies I’ve been using for over a decade. Ratchet movement feels like it belongs on a watch. Handle is comfy and well-suited for maximizing force, which is usually why I’m picking a stubby in the first place.

Only downside is no bit storage.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 13, 2024 at 03:51 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 13, 2024, 10:11 AM

My main screwdriver at work is a rebranded Wera that I got for free when Phoenix Contact stopped by my work to do some demos. I'd never looked it up before, but on its own it's a $25 screwdriver. I think my entire screwdriver drawer in my garage is probably worth less than $25 combined.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2024, 12:27 PM

Yeah. The T-handle Wera is $52, up from $8 (inflation adjusted) for the last Stanley I bought.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 13, 2024 at 03:22 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2024, 02:41 PM

Oh… you might find hand moisturizer to be a source of minor pleasure.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2024, 03:32 PM

Since you made the mistake of sharing, do you really need that many apps in the dock? Also, why not put the dock on the side? Horizontal axis has a ton more pixels available.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2024, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh… you might find hand moisturizer to be a source of minor pleasure.
Yep, every night. Getting hands dirty at work and washing them with the provided scrubbers is hell during dry winter weather.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2024, 04:35 PM

Since you made the mistake of sharing, do you really need that many apps in the dock? Also, why not put the dock on the side? Horizontal axis has a ton more pixels available.
They're all apps I use at least weekly, and not all of them are easily launched from the start menu (weird names, multiple versions, etc.) Two browsers, email, Calculator, Word, PP, Excel, OneNote, Teams, AutoCAD suite, Rockwell suite, maintenance work orders, enterprise software shortcuts, etc. I think at home I just have like five apps down there, and at least in OS X I auto-hide the dock.

I consider anyone putting the dock/taskbar on the side of the screen to be a complete psychopath. Plus then Windows adds a scroll bar so I can scroll left and right through my apps. And with my setup being three screens side, throwing the mouse left or right doesn't necessarily land it at the taskbar like it does if I throw it to the bottom.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2024, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I consider anyone putting the dock/taskbar on the side of the screen to be a complete psychopath.
The Virgin Bottomcel:

Two tons of shit in a one pound dock.
Finds things by squinting at his microdock.
Hates efficient use of space so much he needs three monitors.
Harbor Freight screwdrivers.

Vs

The Sidechad:

Nearly empty dock has plenty of room for any apps who want to come over and party.
Finds things by using the Finder.
Uses space so efficiently he only needs one monitor.
Master race screwdrivers.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 13, 2024 at 07:02 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2024, 07:52 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2024, 09:26 AM

The Becky Sidedock:

Has no apps, pretends to prefer it that way
Needs you to know she's alternative
Only associated with weirdos
"I'm not like the other docks."

Vs.

The Stacy Bottom:

Smashes so many different apps every day
Popular for a reason
Needs the width of three screens to fully appreciate her voluptuousness
Shows you all the goods right away

Thorzdad
Feb 14, 2024, 09:34 AM

I dunno. Sidedock always seemed to work better for me. YMMV.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2024, 09:42 AM

My only regret is the alliteration of Becky, Stacy, Side, and Bottom is backwards. But I don't make the rules, Beckys are Beckys and Stacys are Stacys.

andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2024, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I dunno. Sidedock always seemed to work better for me. YMMV.
Dock on the bottom is distracting as hell and I was always hitting it by accident.
Dock on the side is hidden, stuffed full of every app and open document, and icons enlarge on hover.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2024, 02:16 PM

My Linux desktops both have a left, vertical dock, but I started out with MacOS defaulting to a bottom dock, and that’s the way I have kept it. My wife’s Macs have a right side dock and it works for her. Personal preference is a thing, and it also relates to how you learned the thing in the first place. Saying one is better than another is sort of like the bloke who couldn’t stand metric ale: “Half a litre? Never! A pint is just right, but half a litre is too much. Bah!”

Hand lotion is not only necessary, but crucial to keeping my hands from drying out so much that they crack and bleed. I should own stock in Jergens and Eucerine…but I’m not knocking Bath and Body Works - their stuff does the job and smells nice too.

Thorzdad
Feb 14, 2024, 04:59 PM

I had to have the bass drivers (aka woofers) out of my old JBLs re-foamed. I just got them back today and, holy cow, it’s like they’re completely new speakers again. I’m just kind of stunned the difference it made. Like, not just in the low range, either. Am very happy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2024, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Needs the width of three screens to fully appreciate her voluptuousness
This is my favorite.

I’m trying to think of how I’d even use multiple screens. Do you have apps that can make good use of all three at once or do you use them more for separate things?

It’s been awhile since I’ve done serious audio, but that’s a big thing that’s pinned me down to one screen. More screens would block my speakers. Just the one screen blocks my speakers.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 15, 2024, 07:53 PM

I use them for multiple things. Browser on one screen. Mail is often open on another, and a productivity app or game on a 3rd. Very useful during YouTube ads. Or it can be the GIMP on one, with several documents open on the others.

andi*pandi
Feb 16, 2024, 01:19 AM

Browser on left for previews. Code center. Mail/slack annoying things on the right. With 3 monitors the middle monitor is the "brain" with the dock otherwise dragging things becomes a pita.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2024, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I use them for multiple things. Browser on one screen. Mail is often open on another, and a productivity app or game on a 3rd. Very useful during YouTube ads. Or it can be the GIMP on one, with several documents open on the others.
How much of an advantage is there to that compared to three-finger swiping between full screens? Right now I’ve got two Safari screens, two Chrome screens, Mail screen, and then an everything else screen… all on one monitor.

@andi… coding is one of the things where multiple screens makes total sense to me.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 16, 2024 at 04:42 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2024, 09:02 AM

One screen for coding, the second for the IO list spreadsheet, the electrical drawings, component manuals. Or one screen for the enterprise software and another for the quote I'm entering. Or Remote Desktop on one screen to the IT VMs and the other with whatever data I'm implementing. I don't actually use the third screen (laptop screen), but some iteration of my work laptops reeeeally liked to bluescreen if I docked or undocked it while it was closed, so I got in the habit of leaving it open. But it's a 15" screen at 1080p the same distance from me as my 32" 1080p screens so I can't really see anything on it anyway. Two screens is standard at every desk here. One of the interns did an 8 screen setup mostly as a joke I think?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2024, 03:30 PM

Not needing Microsoft Teams.

Thorzdad
Feb 21, 2024, 05:58 AM

Not ever using Microsoft Teams. Or Slack.

Ever.

Which, admittedly, probably makes me nigh-on unemployable now.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2024, 01:46 PM

Which, admittedly, probably makes me nigh-on unemployable now.
When I was a kid I told my dad I was afraid driving is too difficult and I’ll never figure it out.

His reply was “you’ll be fine… think of the morons you know who have done it”.

Thorzdad
Feb 21, 2024, 03:13 PM

I dunno. Every time someone describes their workday and Slack, it sounds close to hell.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2024, 03:29 PM

Just like I-90.

andi*pandi
Feb 22, 2024, 02:15 PM

slack itself itsn't bad. Having grouped topic conversations can be helpful sometimes, rather than email.

It's just the promulgation of things that ding, and trying to remember which location information was at. Hmm... Joe sent me the widget info... was it in email? slack? jira? teams? semaphore?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2024, 03:25 PM

I can’t stand technology making noises at me. I irritate people at times with my liberal use of DND, but too bad. I’ll look at my phone eventually, and if it’s that important, I’ve told everybody who needs to know a double phone call rings through.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 29, 2024, 06:49 PM

The other day, we went to lunch at a nice Mexican restaurant quite near our house. As we got ready to leave, the waiter said "Would you like sopaipillas?" We'd paid the bill, so this was a freebie. He brought us a full-sized to-go box filled with four sopaipillas (that's all that would fit!). Just to be nice. They were yummy, too.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 29, 2024, 09:59 PM

I had to look up "sopaipilla" - it's a mini-bread piece.

When I first read the post, it sounded like: "Would you like free samples of something that's spelled kinda like Syphilis?". I'd probably have declined, just to be safe.

Thorzdad
Mar 1, 2024, 06:52 AM

Oh, man, I love sopas! So simple, yet soooo good. Hard to find a mex restaurant in my neck of the woods that even has them, let alone makes good ones. Kind of like tamales, in that regard.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2024, 09:19 PM

Done right, they’re light and tasty, and they’re sprinkled with cinnamon and sometimes a bit of powdered sugar. Eat with a bit of honey drizzled over them. Yum!

It just occurred to me that sopaipillas are sort of the Mexican equivalent of beignets. Oh crap, now I feel like I have to make a run to Cafe du Monde…that’s quite a drive.

Thorz, my wife’s sister and her husband moved from the Houston area to the Tampa area a few years ago. My sister-in-law is still quite upset about how Tampa doesn’t have anything like a reasonable Mexican restaurant…at all.

Now in contrast, years ago my sister worked in a really legit Mexican restaurant in Southeastern Michigan. How legit? Mamasita in the kitchen didn’t speak a word of English, and yes the food was great.

Of course here in San Antonio we have all sorts of Mexican restaurants - too many types I think, especially in the more outlying (newer, ritzier) parts of the metro area. We’ve had the chance to eat real Mexican cooking IN Mexico several times; San Antonio’s offerings range from “close to real home cooking” to “dang that’s good Tex-Mex!” But Taco Bell not only stays in business, they seem to be expanding around here. Why? It’s not even California-style Mexican food. Hmph.

Thorzdad
Mar 3, 2024, 10:18 AM

Here in Indiana, you have to wander out into the small towns to have any chance of finding a truly good Mexican restaurant. Why? Migrant farm workers (largely tomato fields) who ended up staying. But even those tend to skew their menus somewhat to please the gringos who think “mexican” = “tex-mex” and the mountain of melted cheese they expect.

I did have the most amazing carnitas at one such place a year or so ago. But, man, it’s close to a two-hour drive away.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2024, 10:25 AM

Not Mexican, but did you ever happen to go to Louis’ Bon Appetit in Crown Point?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2024, 05:04 PM

-snip-
Why? Migrant farm workers (largely tomato fields) who ended up staying.
Related: I worked with a guy here in San Antonio who’d been a migrant picker with his family when he was young. We got to share stories about Traverse City, Michigan because his family had picked cherries there. And there used to be quite a few Spanish-language radio stations in the northern half of the Lower Peninsula…now it’s down to a handful and mostly in the lower half.

Thorzdad
Mar 7, 2024, 11:00 PM

My trusty iPhone 6s received an OS update today. 15.8.2.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2024, 01:10 PM

When I was a kid I told my dad I was afraid driving is too difficult and I’ll never figure it out.

His reply was “you’ll be fine… think of the morons you know who have done it”.
This applies to just about everything in life by the way
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules