Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Quick help - ASP or PHP?

Quick help - ASP or PHP?
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 01:40 PM

Hi!

I'm upgrading my domain, and now they say I have to choose whether I want a Windows/ASP server type or a Linux/PHP server type.

I don't know really what difference it would make, so I thought maybe someone here could quickly brief me a little? I don't need to make use of neither ASP nor PHP, I just need the extra space.

Edit: It says on their homepage that there are no upload components on their Windows/ASP servers, and I have to upload using a script (provided). Does that go for all uploads, so that even my non-ASP website will also have to be uploaded using this script? 'Cause then I was thinking a PHP server might be better (lazy here)...

Scifience
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 01:42 PM

Linux/PHP - Not an evil Microsoft product and more powerful and logical. 'Nuff said.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Linux/PHP - Not an evil Microsoft product and more powerful and logical. 'Nuff said.
I had a feeling that would be the way of answers here - just wanted to check if there were any compelling reasons for one or the other...

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 01:55 PM

Go with the PHP server. The general resources for it on the web seem to be greater, so if you do want to write a tiny script, you will have an easier time doing so for free.

PHP is also built into your Mac, so you can even test scripts locally.
<This space under renovation>

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2004, 01:58 PM

PHP is a more valuable trade should you want to pick it up... While ASP has it's "interesting" components, you will find PHP is almost universally accepted as the dominant standard. It runs on everything...

http://www.pointafter.com/Archives/nl0203.htm

WHY ASP

Microsoft products are all over the globe and it makes their site compatible with a significant number of other big businesses sites. This makes business to business transactions easier because everyone involved is running the same platforms and applications._

Large companies already have their computers running Microsoft products and their employees are trained in the Microsoft program environment. This keeps training investments down to a minimum and keeps companies from investing in new equipment and software. They get to milk their current Microsoft product assets for all that they are worth._

If a large company wants to take over another (an acquisition or merger) or is bought out themselves, the ability to easily integrate systems (databases, document processing, spread sheet and accounting applications) is invaluable and can make a company appear to be a much more attractive prospect to potential benefactors. Therefore keeping your business dressed up in MS clothing can have a certain appeal._

WHY PHP

It's easy to learn and the available support for it is through the roof. The Web has always been about individuals banding together to create resources for one another. PHP is loved by the Web community and you will find and abundance of tutorials, tools, Web sites and other online support ready and available to guide you from your Web sites conception to it's launch._

More and more host servers are supporting PHP; chances are you can find a good free or cheap host for your site that will allow you to run a dynamic PHP site._

ASP is supported by Microsoft servers only (unless you use a 3rd party utility that facilitates support); however, PHP is supported by many different "html" servers._

AKA, if you go ASP, you are the devil.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
PHP is also built into your Mac...
|
|
V

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 02:02 PM

PHP. You can play with it on way more systems (*NIX, OSX, Windows, etc.) than ASP (Windows only). To hell with upload scripts!

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
AKA, if you go ASP, you are the devil.
Hehe... good thing I just replied that I'd take the PHP way then

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 02:07 PM

ASP is an obsolete technology. Unless you see yourself getting Visual Studio and using ASP.NET at some point (if they even support .NET), go with the Linux/PHP server. If you just have a simple web site, it won't really matter, but go with Linux just the same.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
ASP is an obsolete technology. Unless you see yourself getting Visual Studio and using ASP.NET at some point (if they even support .NET), go with the Linux/PHP server.
They don't support .net, although they hope to next year or so... blablabla...

If you just have a simple web site, it won't really matter, but go with Linux just the same.
That's what I have... I was just wondering if perhaps there was some kind of difference for a simple website; guess not... going Linux then

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2004, 02:24 PM

Actually, I'd recommend the Linux/PHP server simply on the virtue of not having to use that silly script. Most likely, that script would need to be used for all uploads.

Linux/PHP will also be a benefit if you need to move your site; PHP is supported on more servers than ASP is.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

insha
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 04:37 PM

Linux/PHP is the way to go. Easy to learn and more fun than anything Microsolth ever put out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules