Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PC people can be so annoying sometime

PC people can be so annoying sometime
macintologist
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 07:08 PM

So I work at Information Technology Services at the university I attend as a student worker. I was on the phone today with the mother of an incoming freshman. Her daughter is getting a Mac and she wanted to know whether or not they needed to buy antivirus software. I told them that having a Mac meant that antivirus software was not needed and that I've personally been using Macs for 15 years without ever buying antivirus software. My supervisor overheard me and told me "no no it is encouraged if not required that a student have antivirus installed" for the good of the network. I got starred down for it.

I hate it when PC people who live in their spyware/adware/virus hellhole want to put Macs in the same boat. I honestly think that getting Norton Antivirus for Mac is a big waste of money and I don't want to be responsible for a mother of a college student who already has huge bills on their hands to have to spend any more than is necessary

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 07:11 PM

Next time you suggest ClamXav. For the piece of mind of your boss and the mother.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:25 PM

Here's the solution. Buy .Mac for $99 and get free antivirus software. That's a good deal!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 10:03 PM

Its called stuppidity. Lots of PC users are stupid and think that macs run on the same system as PCs and need anti-virus software.

Also your boss my have a point, Macs can cary PC viruses and infect windows users on the same network. It may seem like that can't happen but it can.
Signature depreciated.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
Its called stuppidity. Lots of PC users are stupid and think that macs run on the same system as PCs and need anti-virus software.

Also your boss my have a point, Macs can cary PC viruses and infect windows users on the same network. It may seem like that can't happen but it can.
Frickin' PC users' logic are out of whack! If a PC has antivirus software isn't able to fend off PC viruses from a Mac (if a Mac does carry PC viruses)?, then it defeats the whole purpose of having antivirus software.
( Last edited by MacGallant; Aug 25, 2006 at 10:31 PM. )
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

kupan787
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 10:54 PM

Funny story.

I was at a party at my neighbors last week. He works at Geek Squad in the local Best Buy. He is like the head or something, and is a total PC guy. We got to talking, and it came out that I was a mac user. He started laughing and said "Its so funny, cause right after that commercial came out saying that Macs don't have viruses, 200,000 viruses were released for the Mac". I honestly didn't know what to say. Then he proceeded to call the iPod the "biggest piece of crap MP3 player on the market", and that "Macs are only good for Designers and Film Makers". Then I made a comment about how "It's a good thing that Vista is coming out in 2004, I mean, 2005, I mean 2006, I meant to say 2007". And then he went off about how Microsoft funds Apple, and that is the only reason they are still around. That if Microsoft didn't give all this money to Apple, they would have had Vista done already, and Apple would be so SOL it would be funny.

My only question is are all PC users this stupid when it comes to Macs, or just most of them?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by kupan787
Funny story.

I was at a party at my neighbors last week. He works at Geek Squad in the local Best Buy. He is like the head or something, and is a total PC guy. We got to talking, and it came out that I was a mac user. He started laughing and said "Its so funny, cause right after that commercial came out saying that Macs don't have viruses, 200,000 viruses were released for the Mac". I honestly didn't know what to say. Then he proceeded to call the iPod the "biggest piece of crap MP3 player on the market", and that "Macs are only good for Designers and Film Makers". Then I made a comment about how "It's a good thing that Vista is coming out in 2004, I mean, 2005, I mean 2006, I meant to say 2007". And then he went off about how Microsoft funds Apple, and that is the only reason they are still around. That if Microsoft didn't give all this money to Apple, they would have had Vista done already, and Apple would be so SOL it would be funny.

My only question is are all PC users this stupid when it comes to Macs, or just most of them?
I know add least 5 other people like that! . One of them everyday dises my Mac!!

Edit: That mac virus thing has to be false. The system is updated every 2-3 months with Mac OS X 10.4.4, 10.4.5, etc... Ill belive it when I get one of them viruses
Signature depreciated.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 11:31 PM

I still hear outlandish misinformation like:
- Apple is owned by Microsoft
- The Mac OS is crap because of extensions, it doesn't run Word, it won't connect to the internet, it can't surf the web, it can't send email.
- Apple is on the verge of bankruptcy

There is so much FUD out there... and people more than happy to perpetuate it.

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 12:18 AM

oh I love it when people tell me microsoft owns apple. Once the argument gets to that point, I try and leave because it's obvious that there is no way of finishing it properly

kupan787
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by hickey
oh I love it when people tell me microsoft owns apple. Once the argument gets to that point, I try and leave because it's obvious that there is no way of finishing it properly
Ya, I usually don't even bother arguing with people like that, because then they just pull out something equally stupid. Its like they just keep digging themselves into this hole, all the while thinking they are building up a sand castle.

I guess the real question is what should/can Apple do about this.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 12:55 AM

I agree with TETENAL - just put ClamXav on and everyone's happy.

There may not be any credible viruses now, but that could change. Get ClamXav deployed now, and if a scary virus ever does show up, you're just a definition update away from being covered.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 01:44 AM

"Apple must be the stupidest company EVER because none of there computers have modem ports!"

heard that the other day at CompUSA

Alex

edit:
no wait the guy said this:
"Macs must be the stupidest company EVER because none of there computers have modem ports!"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 01:51 AM

How do you know he said "there" rather than "their" if you heard this aurally?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 01:59 AM

*sigh*

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
How do you know he said "there" rather than "their" if you heard this aurally?
Or maybe he said "They're". People are always making that mistake too. I hate people that can't spell properly when they're speaking.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 07:52 AM

Funny story.

Wow, you have three of my friends rolled into 1. One says that M$ funds apple, one bashes iPods but wants a MacBook Pro, and the other says they're only good for design etc.

In response to your post, one of my friends said:

lol
12:23
microsoft do fund apple
12:23
and withdrawel of support leads to their demise
12:25
loooooooooooool
12:25
opinion of macnn >>degrades:

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2006, 09:20 AM

People without real facts to judge what they hear will often believe all sorts of things that those of us with facts think are just plain stupid.

For example, a lot of people participating in this thread seem to feel that EVERY PC user is a dolt. Thanks-I'm typing this on a home-built, AMD-based PC. Not a dolt, thanks.

ALL SORTS OF IDIOTS use computers, and there are plenty of idiot Mac users too. Just remember that not every non-Mac user is a moron, ok?

But just saying "Geek Squad" categorized the guy kupan787 mentioned. I have yet to run into anyone working at BestBuy that had more than a hint of technical expertise, and it looks like the Geek Squad people get their positions by being particularly inastute. NEVER ask for technical assistance at BestBuy! There ain't any to be had!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 10:18 AM

I'm so glad I never have to come into contact with this particular brand of idiot. Three of the guys in my band work for Dell, and another works for a company that makes the fabbing machines that AMD, etc. use. They're all Windows users, obviously, and we give each other a good-natured hard time ("OH, HAY BLUESCREEN!" "Does your Mac run Win 98?" etc.) but none of them seriously believe any of that kind of crap.

As to viruses, it IS possible that if you're on a Windows LAN and using Outlook, you could pass on viruses to other machines on the LAN, so in that environment, an admin has the perfect right to request that MAC (lol) users install anti-virus software.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Why the

You should have laughed at him

-t

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 11:48 AM

Funny story.

What a farking idiot. But I tell you one thing. Whenever I get F.U.D. like that I research it on the Web and shoot it back to the O.P. So in this case get the actual numbers of MacOS Viruses. Or let him find the basis for his "200.000" viruses.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
"Does your Mac run Win 98?" etc.
Sort of ironic that Macs do/can run windows
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
"no no it is encouraged if not required that a student have antivirus installed"
Typical windows user.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 01:11 PM

once had someone tell me macs were crap as they were on their way to buy a firewire card and movie software.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 01:57 PM

Having once a long time ago worked at best buy out of desperation, I can testify that getting technical advice at BB is a complete waste of time. The only reason why most people work there is to sell service plans....
Joe

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Why the

You should have laughed at him

-t
or poked him
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
or poked him
...with a stick-don't want to get too close!

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 12:48 PM

I actually think installing AV software on a Mac is not a bad idea... especially if you're going to be on a network with Windows PCs, or otherwise sharing files with a PC. While a Mac may not be affected by an infected file, it can still pass it on to a PC and bring that system down.

I work with clients and vendors that use Windows, and if they got an infected file from me, and somehow traced the source of the file back to me, I'd be in some deep dookie.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 01:06 PM

I find that the best way of arguing with Windows users is to let them wallow in their own ignorance.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2006, 02:17 PM

Like I said in another thread - I'm surrounded by the cult of Mac hate PC using masses. :/

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2006, 03:10 PM

I may be a bastard but I intentionally did not use AV software while in college. I let the mail server pass along all sorts of goodies. If they want to use windows they can deal with it. There is no reason for me to waste precious clock cycles defending their machines. I even got email viruses that it said were sent by me!
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

kupan787
Senior User
Aug 27, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
For example, a lot of people participating in this thread seem to feel that EVERY PC user is a dolt. Thanks-I'm typing this on a home-built, AMD-based PC. Not a dolt, thanks.
I by no means think every PC user is a dolt. Hell, I have a custom built AMD rig sitting KVMed up with my G5. I am in my last semester of Computer Science right now, and there are a lot of smart guys in my classes. Its the guys that think they know everything (funny how they always end up at Best Buy or Frys...), and are complete idiots, that bug me. Just because you can build your own machine, run a CD troubleshooting program, install some spyware removal tool, etc, doesn't mean you understand how it works, or really qualifies you to talk about things.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 27, 2006, 05:36 PM

Those people who think they know everything really tick off those of us who DO.

Point taken-the clueless who wish us all to believe that they know all are the worst, whether they're spouting off about PCs or Macs (or anything else-listen to one of the millions of phone store drones tell you how the cell system works; hysterical and totally wrong!).

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by himself
I actually think installing AV software on a Mac is not a bad idea... especially if you're going to be on a network with Windows PCs, or otherwise sharing files with a PC. While a Mac may not be affected by an infected file, it can still pass it on to a PC and bring that system down.

I work with clients and vendors that use Windows, and if they got an infected file from me, and somehow traced the source of the file back to me, I'd be in some deep dookie.
Like what I said in my original post, If Windows users have virus protection software, why would it matter if a Mac on their network has virus protection or not? Based on the logic of virus protection software, their Windows PCs are protected due to their virus protection software so the arguement of having a Mac with virus protection software is null.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2006, 07:09 PM

Windows users at school drive me nuts when they try and mock the Mac. The fun part is that I tend to be able to put them in their place.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2006, 07:31 PM

I don't think all PC users are idiots either, heck I'm using a Dual Core Pentium D right now, and Windows XP.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2006, 07:41 PM

Im at a Holiday Inn right now useing the Wi-Fi. When i checked in i asked if there was Wi-Fi or hookups in the rooms. The guy at the desk saw me set the Powerbook on the counter and said they do have Wi-Fi and ethernet hookups in the rooms, but none of it would work with a Mac. I kinda stood there, with a dumbassed look for a minute, then asked him how that is possible. He proceeds to tell me that Macs and PC's use different Wi-Fi signals, and a PC ethernet cord wont fit a Mac. Right there i opened the Powerbook and connected to the Wi-Fi, then asked him why it works. Oh you must have the new Windows Mac. Nope ive got an older 1ghz Powerbook running Tiger. He then trys to cover his ass by saying the hotel must have bought a router that does both Mac and PC. That was the end of my chat with him, and here i am a few hours later still online with my Powerbook.

Sometimes i just hate PC people.........

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
I don't think all PC users are idiots either, heck I'm using a Dual Core Pentium D right now, and Windows XP.
You might be an idiot, not knowing about it ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit240
Im at a Holiday Inn right now ...The guy at the desk saw me set the Powerbook on the counter and said they do have Wi-Fi and ethernet hookups in the rooms, but none of it would work with a Mac.
What a farkin' idiot.

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit240
Im at a Holiday Inn right now useing the Wi-Fi. When i checked in i asked if there was Wi-Fi or hookups in the rooms. The guy at the desk saw me set the Powerbook on the counter and said they do have Wi-Fi and ethernet hookups in the rooms, but none of it would work with a Mac. I kinda stood there, with a dumbassed look for a minute, then asked him how that is possible. He proceeds to tell me that Macs and PC's use different Wi-Fi signals, and a PC ethernet cord wont fit a Mac. Right there i opened the Powerbook and connected to the Wi-Fi, then asked him why it works. Oh you must have the new Windows Mac. Nope ive got an older 1ghz Powerbook running Tiger. He then trys to cover his ass by saying the hotel must have bought a router that does both Mac and PC. That was the end of my chat with him, and here i am a few hours later still online with my Powerbook.

Sometimes i just hate PC people.........
Haha... well OK in all fairness a few WiFi things are different from Macs to PCs. I never found a way to let PCs connect to my closed network at school. But other than that... yah... freaking retard.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Haha... well OK in all fairness a few WiFi things are different from Macs to PCs.
Well, yeah, PCs are far more fickle with WiFi. It really suxx. Never had problems with a Mac.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 27, 2006, 08:41 PM

How about just saying "I hate when people act stupid?" I've seen some real Mac 'rons in my time. At a computer show there was a guy with a table full of old Macs, and he wandered over to the local Linux user group's table to see what they were playing-he asked (dead serious) how they got OS X to run on that PC hardware! Um... It's a Linux box running X-86, and the desktop just looks a little like the default OS X desktop... Can't you see the KDF icon down there?

Sheesh! The Mac seller beat a hasty retreat to his table and the Linux guys had someone to laugh at for once. Stupidity should be painful-this kind especially.

tboparis
Aug 28, 2006, 12:42 AM

Funny story.

I know of these PC type of guys. Worships Creative MP3's. The best is he thinks that the Vista delay is voluntary. For some reason all his arguments seem to include 'but did you see Apple's share of the market?'
But I also know some PC-users that like Macs and with who you can have an intelligent conversation.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by tboparis
I know of these PC type of guys. Worships Creative MP3's. The best is he thinks that the Vista delay is voluntary. For some reason all his arguments seem to include 'but did you see Apple's share of the market?'
But I also know some PC-users that like Macs and with who you can have an intelligent conversation.
OOh thats my iPod bashing friend! Although he is drooling over MacBook Pros.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
How about just saying "I hate when people act stupid?" I've seen some real Mac 'rons in my time. At a computer show there was a guy with a table full of old Macs, and he wandered over to the local Linux user group's table to see what they were playing-he asked (dead serious) how they got OS X to run on that PC hardware! Um... It's a Linux box running X-86, and the desktop just looks a little like the default OS X desktop... Can't you see the KDF icon down there?

Sheesh! The Mac seller beat a hasty retreat to his table and the Linux guys had someone to laugh at for once. Stupidity should be painful-this kind especially.
Don't you mean KDE?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
You might be an idiot, not knowing about it ?

-t
It's definitely a PC, it told me it had 4 pieces of Spyware and 2 Viruses yesterday

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2006, 11:58 AM

They’ve got PCs talking to you now, telling you when it’s got a virus? :o

Right, that’s it. I’m getting a Dell.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2006, 04:39 PM

Here's a pointless story that is somehow relevant to the thread...

I had a fantasy football draft last week and I was at my in-law's house in Florida. They didn't have WiFi there, so I decided to use their PC in order to draft. I had an issue with Yahoo Fantasy Sports, and mentioned it during the draft chat. One of my PeeCee-wielding comrades threw out the, "Ha ha! It's cause of that stupid Mac! ROFL!!!" I then quickly explained that I was indeed not on my PowerBook. No response. He's never used a Mac in his life, by the way.

Not really all that funny of a story, but a typical example of Mac hatred from numbskulls.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
Don't you mean KDE?
...stupid fingers....can't proof what I write...darn Internet anyway...

Yes, that's what I meant. There's no little embarassed smily, so I'll jsut have to say oops.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by himself

If you're free-lance, yeah. Kind of bitter though.

Other people's bad judgement is not my personal or financial responsibility. Damned if I'll spend any money on their mis-decisions.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
They’ve got PCs talking to you now, telling you when it’s got a virus? :o

Right, that’s it. I’m getting a Dell.
A DELL?

I'll have you know that my PC is of far inferior quality than a Dell.

Avast will pop up alerts and scream sounds at you when it detects Spyware or Viruses so, yes, my pc was talking to me until I got annoyed with Avasts noise and went back to AVG and Adaware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules