Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Are the new PM fanless

Are the new PM fanless
dilleet
Aug 13, 2002, 12:05 PM

From what I have been able to read there is a massive heatsink but no fan, other than the one on the graphics card. This would be excellent for a Cube lover, I am going for the dual 1G model and you can look for my Cube on E Bay. Someone tell me if I am mistaken or is this puppy fanless and semi quiet?
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by dilleet:
From what I have been able to read there is a massive heatsink but no fan, other than the one on the graphics card. This would be excellent for a Cube lover, I am going for the dual 1G model and you can look for my Cube on E Bay. Someone tell me if I am mistaken or is this puppy fanless and semi quiet?
I think my cube will be on e-bay within the month.

I'd like a fanless one also.

I think I'll be going with the dual 867. (Unless someone can point out a compelling reason to spend the extra for the 1Ghz)

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 12:19 PM

check out the quicktime vr's on apple's site. There are clearly fans inside the new powermac -- one is just behind the drive bays -- it'll line up with the heatsink when the pm is closed.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2002, 12:24 PM

I would seriously, seriously doubt itt. Not only do the things have a heatsink that weighs something like 7 lbs, but to be fanless wouldn't the new machines need venting on the top? Heat rises and all, and I seem to remember that the iMacs and Cube had to vent it upwards.

The new ones do have a Crapload� of venting holes on the back, and the front holes are supposed to be venting holes as well (hence the fan near those front ones I am guessing).

Therefore, I would think that the temperature of the new Macs would get a "Red Fellator" icon for emphasis. :o

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 12:29 PM

Without ports on the top, it is doubtfull that the new PM's are fanless...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 12:31 PM

Look at the bright side ... you could always just unplug the fan to make it quieter.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 01:21 PM

You're kidding... right. A PowerMac will NEVER be fanless. My DP800 has at least 3 fans in it. One on the processors, one on the power supply and one on the graphics card. There is no way a Dual Prcessor computer is going to be fanless, unless Apple implements an expensive cooling system on the case. The idea of a fanless powerful computer is IMHO a very impractical idea. In fact alot of Cube owners end up adding fans to their Cube.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

dilleet  (op)
Aug 13, 2002, 01:39 PM

I see now they are fanned, but as a Cube user I can dream of such a great feature. My Cube runs fine without a fan and that includes an Nvidia MX2 card and 1280 mb ram. Its a great feature along with the touch sensitive switches that have caused me to hang on to the Cube this long, but the overall sys performance of the new PMs is forcing me to sell the Cube

Originally posted by Leonard:

You're kidding... right. A PowerMac will NEVER be fanless. My DP800 has at least 3 fans in it. One on the processors, one on the power supply and one on the graphics card. There is no way a Dual Prcessor computer is going to be fanless, unless Apple implements an expensive cooling system on the case. The idea of a fanless powerful computer is IMHO a very impractical idea. In fact alot of Cube owners end up adding fans to their Cube.
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 04:05 PM

I see now they are fanned, but as a Cube user I can dream of such a great feature. My Cube runs fine without a fan and that includes an Nvidia MX2 card and 1280 mb ram. Its a great feature along with the touch sensitive switches that have caused me to hang on to the Cube this long, but the overall sys performance of the new PMs is forcing me to sell the Cube

I'm another Cube owner that has fought the good fight. I love the Cube. If they would update it I'd be a Cube owner forever. (Or if they would at least offer a headless iMac ... call it an iOrb or something.)

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 04:20 PM

The question is not whether they're fanless but whether they're quiet. Even the iMacs have fans nowadays, but they're extremely quiet.

Need to find a quiet time at an Apple store (is there such a thing?) and check it out.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by driven:

I think I'll be going with the dual 867. (Unless someone can point out a compelling reason to spend the extra for the 1Ghz)
Compelling reason(s):
Faster, Faster, Faster!
Better Graphics
Bigger HD

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 05:31 PM

I vowed never to buy another 'loud' powermac after the vacuum cleaner in disguise that was my DP 800...However looking at all the cooling features on the new case, and the swiss cheese holes in the back, I have got the bug...

My cube is ebayed as I type

There is a dual 867 with my name on it...

I love the cube, but the time has come

Peace,

Marc

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:

Compelling reason(s):
Faster, Faster, Faster!
Better Graphics
Bigger HD

Graphics can be made the same.
Hard disk can be made the same.

When equipped exactly the same the differential is $450

Is it $450 faster? I don't know ...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 07:25 PM

I see now they are fanned, but as a Cube user I can dream of such a great feature.
Yep, you can always dream.

But that's all it will ever be, is a dream.

I
The question is not whether they're fanless but whether they're quiet. Even the iMacs have fans nowadays, but they're extremely quiet.

Need to find a quiet time at an Apple store (is there such a thing?) and check it out.
That's a good question. The DP800 were noisier. Let us know if you find out if the new ones are quieter.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by driven:

Graphics can be made the same.
Hard disk can be made the same.

When equipped exactly the same the differential is $450

Is it $450 faster? I don't know ...
FASTER BUS = good
FASTER PROCESSORS= good
SUPERDRIVE= good

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 09:56 PM

I have a Dual Ghz, and it's a bit too loud for my tastes... if the new machines are at least quietER... then I'm upgradin'.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 10:47 PM

well this machine is definately not quiet. It is very noisy in fact.. The noisiest part of the computer is the fan that is in the power supply. The fan that is on the logic board is quiet as a mouse and so is the big box fan that is near the drives and heatsink. If you are looking for peace and quiet, don't get this one.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2002, 11:55 PM

The new Towers are pretty loud. I played with them at the Apple Store before.

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 01:28 AM

I just ordered one of the new dual gigs and I'm curious as to how loud it will actually be, especially as it relates to previous PowerMacs, which were pretty horrid. There was some great quiteting mods mentioned over at XLR8 Your Mac for the previous quicksilvers. I'm hoping we'll find some good ways to quiet this new machine down, as I'm no fan of da noise.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2002, 07:21 AM

Get Pro Speakers, Soundsticks or that new wireless Sony speaker and turn up the volume a little bit. You won't here a peep from the Tower.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2002, 06:56 PM

Reports over at AI from a dual 1 Ghz buyer, seem to indicate that the new tower is in the same noise league as the Quicksilvers...

Marc

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
Reports over at AI from a dual 1 Ghz buyer, seem to indicate that the new tower is in the same noise league as the Quicksilvers...
Friggin great. Another dissapointment. If there was any possible way i could put of this purchase any longer i would. But I do video editing and I really need a new machine. I almost think I should have got the dual 867 as this machine likely won't last as long as it should.

On the other hand, I'll probaly be elated once the machine actually arrives and is integrated into my workspace. And I'm sure with 10.2, maxed RAM, and speedy RAIDs it'll be plenty usable for quite a while.

Oh well.

ilukas
Aug 16, 2002, 11:51 PM

it's pretty clear that these new ones are just as if not more noisy.

all the holes everywhere not only vent the heat, but the noise, too.

there is one fan that lines up w/ the heatsink and one that seems to line up with the optical drives or maybe sucks the heat from under the mobo.
Can I have that cookie?

raferx
Senior User
Aug 17, 2002, 12:46 AM

All the Cube owners saying that the fight is over..? What about the new 1Ghz cpu upgrades available for the Cube? C'mon! A 1GHz Cube is pretty smokin'! Don't give in to this new Yikes! version2 box!
Cheers,
raferx

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2002, 08:39 AM

QUESTION: Do the Mirrored Drive Doors have fans?

ANSWER: Yes, 1 on the Power supply, 1 on the heatsink, 1 on the superdrive, 1 on the door, and 1 on the graphics card.

There may be another, that I have no idea.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

gooeynougat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by JB72:

Friggin great. Another dissapointment.
What a bunch of whiners. Apple could come out with a machine that made your coffee, wiped your a*s after your daily constitutional, and did everything else, and people would still complain. "The coffee is too bitter..." "The toilet paper too rough..." You get the idea.

I'm no Apple apologist. The Jaguar upgrade scheme pisses me off. Having just purchased a DP 1Ghz machine for my office in July and not being eligible for a cheap or free upgrade is a kick in the dualies. .Mac is too expensive. I don't like the cash grab in general. But it is clear that Apple makes the best hardware out there today.

But to get back to topic...compared to most AMD/intel rigs (like my linux servers), my 1ghz DP mac -- fans and all -- is pretty quiet. If the new machines are as noisy or even a little noisier, it would still be well within tolerable limits. Fans are a fact of life in a machine like the DP G4, and of course one can dream the fanless dream, but unless one goes watercooled, one has to put up with the noise in exchange for the power.

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 17, 2002, 12:12 PM

I'm looking into placing strips of car-noise reduction strips inside the case to reduce noise. I'll report if I get any success...

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by slipjack:
I'm looking into placing strips of car-noise reduction strips inside the case to reduce noise. I'll report if I get any success...
I'd appreciate that. I'll be doing the same. One of the problems with Macs in this regard though is that there is little free space inside the towers to place the stuff.

I'm also going to investigate changing some of the fans.

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 12:02 AM

oops wrong reply sorry.

Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2002, 01:52 AM

I'm wondering... I'm too tired right now to check, but it sounds like there's a fan right behind the new front vents... I fou don't have a hard drive there, would there be any harm in disconnecting that one?

Again, IF there is one there. This bitch is really loud...

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 03:42 AM

I wouldn't disconnect any of the fans, but I would certainly investigate buying quieter fans as replacements. Especially the one you are referring to.

If what I hear is correct the powers supply fan might be the worst, which sux as they are hard to replace.

I'd watch www.xlr8yourmac.com to see what people are doing to quiet these beasts.

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by gooeynougat:
What a bunch of whiners... my 1ghz DP mac -- fans and all -- is pretty quiet. If the new machines are as noisy or even a little noisier, it would still be well within tolerable limits. Fans are a fact of life in a machine like the DP G4, and of course one can dream the fanless dream, but unless one goes watercooled, one has to put up with the noise in exchange for the power.
What makes me think you don't work in audio or video? Hmmm. Not like that's the target market for Apple pro machines or anything like that.

1 - Yes we need fans, but there are all different qualities of fans and Apple doesn't seem to be choosing good ones, nor placing them where they are most effective w/o them being as loud as a troll on MacNN*.

2 - The Apple Powermacs are in most situations louder than a lot of PCs out there, despite using far more power and heat effecient CPU(s). Plus we're paying a premium price for these units.

3 - There is a whole spectrum of ways to reduce a system's sound w/o resorting to watercooling. All air cooling is not created equally I'm afraid.

4 - Considering the sound problem has been a huge complaint from the pro community for years now, people are rightly upset that they changed the case and mobo w/o even considering the nagging issue. Frankly, a lot of people are shocked this issue has recieved so little attention from Apple.

I'm not sure what you do up there in your office with a dual G4 Mac, but obviously it doesn't include sound. Well wake up and smell the coffee (at least these Macs don't polute your olfactory senses as they do your hearing,) these Macs are too loud, and it's pissing a lot of people off.

* Your pointless flame above is a great example.

PS - Don't call me a whiner you envious wanker and flaming troll.

{Editing for an even angrier tone, because I am angry.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules