Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Removing space between the "x — +" buttons; making inactive windows transparent

Removing space between the "x — +" buttons; making inactive windows transparent
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2005, 03:15 PM

This has probably been asked and answered before, but as always, my search-fu is derisible, and I can't find anything

1. How do I remove the space between the "x — +" buttons (ie. the close-minimise-fit buttons) in ThemePark? I tried doing it by just making the individual images wider (so they'll overlap), but this only works in brushed metal-windows and Cocoa app windows; in Carbon app windows (including the Finder, grrr), there is still space between them. Can't I somehow get rid of this?

2. How do I make all inactive windows semi-transparent? I saw somewhere that the themes that had this effect did it with TransparentDock, not as part of the theme itself, but I see no option in TransparentDock to automatically make all inactive windows semi-transparent; I can only turn them semi-transparent through an action (e.g. double-clicking on the title bar, or something similar). Am I being thick, or are the themers cheating with their screenshots?

TIA to any, all, and sundry who might find it in themselves to bestow upon this humble thread a reply, or even a solution

esXXI
Senior User
Jul 25, 2005, 04:00 PM

1. You can't. If you want some kind of background to run across/behind all three, it's do-able by including that on the Titlebar left-cap, like SIRO does.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by esXXI
1. You can't.
Aw, cr@p!

If you want some kind of background to run across/behind all three, it's do-able by including that on the Titlebar left-cap, like SIRO does.
Hmm, must try that... t'anks

Fusion
Senior User
Jul 25, 2005, 06:35 PM

The transparent idea is great. I submitted it to Unsanity awhile ago, because I know their app, WindowshadeX, can tell when a window is inactive (since it sets different shadows for each) and it already has transparency support as well. The guy that works for Unsanity on this forum saw it and said that it would be added to the next version.

bmzollinhofer
Jul 27, 2005, 08:30 PM

Ditto Fusion. Once I see that feature in WindowShadeX, I'll definitely buy it...
Click Away
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2005, 11:26 AM

Okay, so please tell me there's a way to do this one then:

(How) can I remove the shadow of the icon text on the desktop (i.e. make it look like it does in the Finder itself)?

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Okay, so please tell me there's a way to do this one then:

(How) can I remove the shadow of the icon text on the desktop (i.e. make it look like it does in the Finder itself)?
Okay, so that doesn't seem to be possible, either. Argh.

But how can I at least change the colour of the icon text on the desktop? I don't want it to be white, I want it to be black!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:59 AM

Also, not possible.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by digitaljames
Also, not possible.
What? You're kidding, right? You can't even change the friggin' colour?!?

ARGH!

You can do this even in Windows!

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2005, 11:22 AM

Desktop items that have a label assigned show plain black text … but at the same time the label's own dropshadow

Forum Links
Forum Rules