Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Redeye remote.... any good?

Redeye remote.... any good?
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2010, 12:49 AM

Its expensive (188 USD), but looks like the best possible universal remote for an iPhone/iPod Though owning family.

Its a wifi / IR unit that you connect to with the iPhone via an app.

https://thinkflood.com/

Has anyone tried it, is it responsive? how configurable/customisable is the iPhone app?

Cold Warrior
Feb 14, 2010, 10:09 AM

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The redeye looks like a way better product. No need to point the iPhone/iPod toward the receiver. Transmit by wifi, or even over the internet!

Imagine setting up the redeye, and a network webacm, to program your DVR from the office. That would be cool.

It's a good idea if the app proves to be configurable enough. But the price is just too much. $100 seems reasonable for the redeye, too much for the Fastmac, which isn't nearly as useful.

I don't see why the Redeye needs a dock, though.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2010, 10:38 AM

"No need to point the iPhone/iPod toward the receiver" may or may not be an advantage. If you want an RF remote, there are a number of products, with Redeye appearing to be at the top of the heap. But not everyone needs or wants an RF remote.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
"No need to point the iPhone/iPod toward the receiver" may or may not be an advantage. If you want an RF remote, there are a number of products, with Redeye appearing to be at the top of the heap. But not everyone needs or wants an RF remote.
Is there currently a universal remote that connects to the internet and can receive instructions remotely? Is there one I can navigate from my iPod Touch? I'd be interested in such a device.

I really don't know what RF remotes you're talking about.

The Redeye is not an "RF remote". It's an internet device that transmits IR data. But it also has WiFi, which works over RF, so I guess you could say it's an RF remote...
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2010, 01:29 PM

"It walks like a duck and quacks like a duck." In other words, it acts like an RF remote so that's what I called it. To be clear, it looks like the Redeye is a "network" device, not an "Internet" device-which may be a fine distinction, depending on how it's configured.

AirRemote does effectively the same sort of thing, though the feature set may be somewhat different. There's even a Tivo-specific app that works through your home network.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules