Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 01:40 PM

Seriously, how often do really beat a dude how gets to you first in Halo without having a better weapon or them being completely retarded?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
- I love the grenades, especially stickies (Bogues agrees no doubt)
So does Stogie and I bet Dakar does too. How many of our battles ended in a draw with plasma grenades on Guardian?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If that's MWs flaw, Halo' is the "there's no cover, I can't sprint and I'm getting pelted by three BRs from half a map away." Which is pretty much all I saw when I tried the Mythic maps out.
No, MWs major flaw is the atrocious spawning system. I can give them some slack on a map like Rust but spawning me next to someone on a huge map like Fuel is unacceptable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 01:50 PM

Agreed.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 01:51 PM

Seriously, how often do really beat a dude how gets to you first in Halo without having a better weapon or them being completely retarded?
All the time if you bunny hop.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
All the time if you bunny hop.
The cure is worse than disease.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 02:47 PM

If we are talking a head to head BR battle that someone gets the drop on me then strafing well, a bit of jumping and good aim will win me that battle everytime.

The amount of defensive kills (on your own) available in Halo greatly overshadow that ability in MW2. In Halo I'd get hit several times, then back away while hucking nades and spraying BR. I never used this method of 'running away' in MW2 because I usually just run away in that scenario and try my hand at a kill some other time.

Of course with all 6 of us working together the whole running away to kill thing can work really, really well.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 02:47 PM

Loadouts are fine but they don't help you when you're getting spawn f**ked by a team of noob tubers with Danger Close on maps like Trailer Park. Besides, if Halo 3 had loadouts, then everyone would be carrying a spartan laser as their secondary weapon. Say goodbye to all that vehicle combat you loved so much.
All that proves is that Halo has no weapon balance (obvious, I know).

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I disagree with that completely, it may not be as balanced ad you think COD is but the weapon balance Isnt bad with the standard weapon types , I agree there is a constant power struggle for the bigger weapons (rocks, laser, sword) but I think each of those have a weakness and with armor abilities I think the diversity in weapon/armor types allows for greater variety

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 02:59 PM

If we are talking a head to head BR battle that someone gets the drop on me then strafing well, a bit of jumping and good aim will win me that battle everytime.
Sounds like the other guy sucks.

The amount of defensive kills (on your own) available in Halo greatly overshadow that ability in MW2. In Halo I'd get hit several times, then back away while hucking nades and spraying BR. I never used this method of 'running away' in MW2 because I usually just run away in that scenario and try my hand at a kill some other time.
The other big difference between Halo and MW2 is they allow for mutual kills. CoD refuses to give mutual kills.

No shit. Why do you think everyone refers to BR battles? Because its a very strong weapon that everyone starts with (and when you don't the people whine about it incessantly). If you're not good with a BR, you're not going to be good at Halo.

Personally, I get nothing out of BR battles. Body shot, body shot, headshot is no more interesting than the GoW two piece or the BioShock 2 Electro Bolt/Crossbow.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 03:01 PM

Also there's sticky grenade's in MW
those don't even compare, here's hoping for some nades and spades games

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I disagree with that completely, it may not be as balanced ad you think COD is but the weapon balance Isnt bad with the standard weapon types , I agree there is a constant power struggle for the bigger weapons (rocks, laser, sword) but I think each of those have a weakness and with armor abilities I think the diversity in weapon/armor types allows for greater variety
There's a good reminder. The start of matches become these repetitive affairs where everyone heads for the same spot because you must get this weapon in order to win the match (Rocket on the Pit, Epitaph, and Narrows, anyone?).

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 03:06 PM

Sounds like the other guy sucks.

The other big difference between Halo and MW2 is they allow for mutual kills. CoD refuses to give mutual kills.

No shit. Why do you think everyone refers to BR battles? Because its a very strong weapon that everyone starts with (and when you don't the people whine about it incessantly). If you're not good with a BR, you're not going to be good at halo
I think the BR was overpowered but Bungie knows they messed up and the new marksman rifle or whatever it's called in reach really addresses those concerns, the little time I had with the beta proved to me that bungie is the top dog with multiplayer and all other companies need to pay attention (if with matchmaking and online co-op at least)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:11 PM

I think the BR was overpowered but Bungie knows they messed up and the new marksman rifle or whatever it's called in reach really addresses those concerns, the little time I had with the beta proved to me that bungie is the top dog with multiplayer and all other companies need to pay attention (if with matchmaking and online co-op at least)
If you're into wide-open maps, slow movement, and big jumping, at least.

Considering they've incorporated lots of CoD stuff I think we know who the real top dog is.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 03:11 PM

There's a good reminder. The start of matches become these repetitive affairs where everyone heads for the same spot because you must get this weapon in order to win the match (Rocket on the Pit, Epitaph, and Narrows, anyone?).
So we forge a new map and go play without any of those weapons, at least halo gives you the power to change what you don't like and with a huge community probably even improve on what bungie did. Remember that map you made on H3 on sandtrap, awesome.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 03:12 PM

You are so getting teabagged.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 03:13 PM

If you're into wide-open maps, slow movement, and big jumping, at least.

Considering they've incorporated lots of CoD stuff I think we know who the real top dog is.
And COD don't steal anything from H2/3?
And the matchmaking and co op?...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:14 PM

So we forge a new map and go play without any of those weapons, at least halo gives you the power to change what you don't like an with a huge community probably even improve on what bungie did. Remember that map you made on H3 on sandtrap, awesome.
That's only useful if you have enough people willing to play privies.

I made an awesome Rat's Nest variant but that never saw one proper game since not enough people were playing six months later.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 03:17 PM

Eh, sans the weapon rush the same exact thing happens in MW2. I can start any match and predict exactly where and when I'm going to find my first enemy. That's just an inherent problem with playing a billion matches over and over again. At least you don't have to worry about who is gonna get the super weapon every match.

H2 was the bees knees for console multiplayer, no other game could touch it at the time. Now, in the face of CoD games, Halo's multiplayer system has shown a lot of its age. Reach seems to address some things, but I almost feel they are afraid to alienate the kids who already love playing H3 online so they are keeping it, more or less, the same.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 03:21 PM

You are so getting teabagged.
I'm going through with the game purchase, so you're going to have plenty of opportunities.

In regards to the slow pace, I actually have friends that tout that as a reason they prefer Halo over CoD. Not everyone likes the "I-saw-you-first-bang" shooters (personally, my ADD loves the pacing).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:22 PM

And COD don't steal anything from H2/3?
Not what you were saying. You said Top Dog. No doubt MW2 is it right now with EA scrambling to make their own clone and bungie taking note of things they could incorporate into their gameplay. We'll see what aspects of Reach everyone scrambles to match.

And the matchmaking and co op?...
Apples and oranges. The ranked matchmaking is the finest, but only games with a large dedicated base can afford to have that type of matchmaking. Social is still prone to games as uneven as CoD.

The co-op is fine but there's nothing too special about it. Not really the point when we're taking about competitive multiplayer.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 03:26 PM

That's only useful if you have enough people willing to play privies.

I made an awesome Rat's Nest variant but that never saw one proper game since not enough people were playing six months later.
And that is why you need to buy Reach, we need a decent group to get some custom games going like the olden days,

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 03:29 PM

Not what you were saying. You said Top Dog. No doubt MW2 is it right now with EA scrambling to make their own clone and bungie taking note of things they could incorporate into their gameplay. We'll see what aspects of Reach everyone scrambles to match..
Good points, I agree

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 03:33 PM

So we forge a new map and go play without any of those weapons, at least halo gives you the power to change what you don't like and with a huge community probably even improve on what bungie did. Remember that map you made on H3 on sandtrap, awesome.
I downloaded some awesome user created maps thanks to forge. I still say the single best/most fun night I had playing multiplayer was with these guys. They would have custom map night once a month. Some of them were truly awesome as you can see below.

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/35...0/#post3843964

Nothing beats Halo when you can get a large group of component players that love to play the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:34 PM

Eh, sans the weapon rush the same exact thing happens in MW2. I can start any match and predict exactly where and when I'm going to find my first enemy. That's just an inherent problem with playing a billion matches over and over again.
Here's the thing: In MW2 I can choose not to go to change things up without it being a huge detriment to my team. My hands are somewhat tied in Halo (In fact, I remember getting irritated when people wouldn't go after certain spots off spawn. Don't recall that in MW2)

At least you don't have to worry about who is gonna get the super weapon every match.
Exactly.

H2 was the bees knees for console multiplayer, no other game could touch it at the time. Now, in the face of CoD games, Halo's multiplayer system has shown a lot of its age. Reach seems to address some things, but I almost feel they are afraid to alienate the kids who already love playing H3 online so they are keeping it, more or less, the same.
I dunno. You guys know I loved Halo 3 when I played it. Looooved it. I played more of that than any of you. But I don't think it's gameplay design is as satisfying as it was anymore.

I'm going through with the game purchase, so you're going to have plenty of opportunities.

In regards to the slow pace, I actually have friends that tout that as a reason they prefer Halo over CoD. Not everyone likes the "I-saw-you-first-bang" shooters (personally, my ADD loves the pacing).
Personally I think you can boil it down quite simply to skill vs. strategy. Halo requires more skill. If you can't handle a BR, look forward to sucking on everyone's nuts. Got to the Rockets first? Good luck, because the other will kill you before you can use them. Then you're playing from behind. Strategy? No use. If I flank, sek still jukes me and pegs me from half the map away.

With MW, you can do different routes, different weapons, different perks. It's a chess match. You still need to aim but its not critical if your strategy is sound, because you've put yourself in an advantageous position.

And that is why you need to buy Reach, we need a decent group to get some custom games going like the olden days,
This isn't Knight Rider. One man can't make a difference. We got two people on the East Coast far as I can tell. In the west we won't have ::maroma:: or chuckit this time round. If my friends stay true to form they won't want to play privies, and in two months they're gone anyway.

You're ****ed.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 03:45 PM

Besides, if Halo 3 had loadouts, then everyone would be carrying a spartan laser as their secondary weapon. Say goodbye to all that vehicle combat you loved so much.
I always hated what bungie did to the vehicles after the initial Halo. Vehicles were fun in Halo 1 when they were invulnerable. Then when I switched from Mac to the Xbox 360 to play Halo 2 (I played Halo 2 when Halo 3 came out) and Halo 3, they made the vehicles so vulnerable they almost weren't useable anymore.

I'd say the Spartan Laser and Rocket Launcher are too powerful against a vehicle.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:47 PM

I thought the balance in 3 was pretty good. Some vehicles even required two laser blasts. The problem was there were some people out there that were just too good at charging up and then peeking out when they fired.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 03:54 PM

I'm coming in, in the middle of this discussion, so I might be misunderstanding something or missed something, but are you talking COD:MW2 here? Cause if you are, I remember someone complaining that COD:MW2 didn't have the web stats, theatre and forge features that Halo 3 had!
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I'm coming in, in the middle of this discussion, so I might be misunderstanding something or missed something, but are you talking COD:MW2 here? Cause if you are, I remember someone complaining that COD:MW2 didn't have the web stats, theatre and forge features that Halo 3 had!
bungie still has the most complete package (Though credit Treyarch of all people for really minimizing this with the addition of forge and theater this year).

But we're just talking actual gameplay.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 04:20 PM

Read my reply, numbnuts. He did miss something.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 04:24 PM

I read your reply.

Picture still stands.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 04:25 PM

You and your face are dumb.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 04:29 PM

I'm going to print out copies of all of your 'NN posts and burn them at my church.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 04:31 PM

I'm going to build a replica of your church in Forge and crash a banshee into it.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 04:39 PM

Good luck doing that without owning Reach.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 05:01 PM

I know several people with it.

Doing it for free will be all the sweeter.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 05:05 PM

Well, I am even less sure of what game I'll be buying at this point.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 05:07 PM

Reach Reach Reach
I think you would benefit from some plasma grenades and a sniper rifle

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 05:09 PM

Just know my crew will be doing CoD again this year. And remember how much multiplayer time you had with Bogues in the past year.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 05:14 PM

It was 70/30 in Reach's favor yesterday, but I think it's more like 50/50 now, Black Ops is gaining ground.

Reach

Pros: Part of a series I really enjoy. Multiplayer is fresher for me since it's been a while since I've done Halo multi

Cons: Don't care about single player, have a feeling multi might lose it's charm fast.

Black Ops

Pros: Possibility of new Zombie content gives me a stiffy. Multi is same as MW2 that I found to be quite enjoyable.

Cons: Give even less of a sh!t about single player. Already burnt out on MW2, same might happen.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 05:15 PM

Tough call. Personally the 4 player campaign is about the only thing that interests me, since 4 player co-op is hard to come by. Otherwise, I could care less.

Still, I would think the zombie thing would easily edge it out for you.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 05:42 PM

That all depends. The Hardened Edition comes with all the old maps, which I'm tired of. So if the game ships with old content and a promise of new Zombies in the future then I'm not going to buy it right away, there is no reason in my mind.

If the regular game ships with one new Zombie scenario, and a promise of more in the future then it is bought, no matter what the multi following is here.

Really being gay, but honestly it is going to take dakar and cheezy buying Reach for me to get it. I love you Bogues, but you are not a reliable online partner. I like to squeeze as much enjoyment out of a game as possible, and both choices rely HEAVILY on multiplayer content for me. I can enjoy Zombies by my lonesome, but as far as matchmaking in both games I probably won't play unless someone I know is on, and Dakar is always on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 05:44 PM

I love you Bogues, but you are not a reliable online partner. I like to squeeze
Today in no-context theater.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 05:50 PM

We had good times whispering sweet nothings in eachother's ears during Rainbow Six times, but since then he's become so.....distant.

BTW, I am free this evening and there are two options for gaming.

I sit right here, click the start menu, and fire up STALKER

or

We get a crew together, I scare the spiders away from my Xbox and we MW2 the shit out of tonight
( Last edited by sek929; Sep 9, 2010 at 06:09 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Otherwise, I could care less.
Really, how much less could you care?

I love you Bogues, but you are not a reliable online partner. I like to squeeze as much enjoyment out of a game as possible, and both choices rely HEAVILY on multiplayer content for me. I can enjoy Zombies by my lonesome, but as far as matchmaking in both games I probably won't play unless someone I know is on, and Dakar is always on.
That hurts Fatty. More than you will ever know. You sir are ****ing dead to me.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 06:02 PM

We get a crew together, I scare the spiders away from my Xbox and we MW2 the shit out of tonight
I'd rather boost my Seriously 2.0 achievement by riding the Brumak.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 06:06 PM

Great, now I'm going to buy two games just so noone has hurt feelings.

You get in on Zombies, Stogie, and I promise you a life-partner, err I mean a partner in crime.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 06:09 PM

I sit right here, click the start menu, and fire up STALKER

or

*crickets*

I am moving the cursor over that hideous green button right now.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 06:10 PM

and Dakar is always on.
He lives online... like the lawnmower man!
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules